Search results

1. T

Sound and DC vs DCC Power?

Thank you bobwrgt for the link. It was very informative! Hard to follow, but if I think I go the route of the 1025, I will print it out and follow the instructions. It seemed that the reviewer had trouble wiring the thing to the controller, and ended up having to plug it into the wall. You...
  2. T

It sounds like I'll end up with the MRC 1025. Can you explain exactly what it does/how to operate it? Because I was attracted to the Kato one in the Youtube vid because it looked simple enough to connect to the Kato controller (I don't have any controller, BTW, just a few crappy Bachmanns) and...
  3. T

That's a very good point, I hadn't thought of that. My layout is very small, so it's not like I'd have hundreds of wires everywhere due to DC controllers. However, I live a few minutes away from a hobby shop, which has some very nice and smart employees. I might ask them about installing DCC.
  4. T

BTW, I'm thinking of something that produces very generic horn and bell noises. It doens't have to be complicated. I'd rather it not have to be "programmed" (I don't know how to do that), nor do I want to install a sound whatever inside an engine, because I don't know how to do that. I...
  5. T

Thanks for all that information! It seems I'll stick with DC, as I won't have the knowhow to install DCC into an engine. I think I might go with the Mrc 1025 sound box. I'll look into it. Thanks for the help! If anyone has any other information they'd like to share, please do so! My thirst...
  6. T

And if you own one or more of the engines I've decided to purchase, please feel free to comment on how you like them! I'd hate to buy an engine that is known to be bad.
  7. T

Hi all! I've recently decided on what engines I'm going to buy. They are as follows: Walthers Sperry Rail Car http://www.trainworldonline.com/catalog/walthers-ho-n/walthers-58-sperry-rail-detector-car-ho-932-series/58-sperry-rail-detector-car-146-932-60753 Concor mP54...
  8. T

HO Track and HO transformers?

Thanks, that's a good idea (the digital multi-tester)! I'll look into that. I don't really have my engines yet, I plan to buy them in the near-far future, so I don't think that'll be a problem. I decided on the Kato uni track for my outer oval, and the Atlas code 83 track for the inner oval...
  9. T

This is also very helpful, and you've pretty much sold me on the Atlas code 83 track! However, can you explain what I just quoted? "The trunk lines should be 12 or 14 gauge. The feeders 18 or 20 gauge. DON'T WORRY! You can get by with one simple pair of wires on a smaller loop of track until...
  10. T

Thank you all once again for the help! My knowledge is slowly growing! One clarifying question: For the atlas track, do I have to solder wires to it in order to connect the transformer to the track? Or does the atlas code 83 track come with a little connector track, similar to Bachmann E-Z...
  11. T

Thanks, this is the info I really needed. I've only ever used HO trains when I was younger (6, 7, 8 years old), and the track and trains always proved unreliable. I may not have taken the best care of the tracks (he he), but I simply don't want to put the time and money into a layout just for...
  12. T

I use atlas and peco code 80 flex track and sectional. I've never seen or handled any power lock in person. It may be fine. You can not believe the day I've just been through! Literally 4 hours on my computer, researching track. At first, I thought I was going to choose the life like power...
  13. T

Thanks for the help Railfan. Are those power packs generally compatible with any track? I think I'm going to stick with the Life-Like Power Loc track, so I hope one of those power packs is compatible. Also, how much power to they give? Around how much power is a good amount for a powerpack...
  14. T

Thank you for the help, you've definetely sent me in the right direction :) I'll stick to Code 83. I'm a novice at HO stuff but I've had my fair share of O scale.
  15. T

Sooooo I've just started building an HO layout. By start, I mean I just finished the construction of the table! I need to know what you guys out there recommend for HO track? I currently own Bachmann E-Z Track, and Life-Like Power-Loc track. Both of these tracks have their own...

Back