Search results

1. RedRyder77

My 4th of July Trains

Louis, these are simply some of the coolest trains I've seen you post yet. I LOVE the Seaboard Coast diesel..is that a GP9? Great engine! Great post all around, your sister sounds like an incredible person setting up your trains like that and I am SURE she is still with you everyday. Thank you...
  2. RedRyder77

Who here is under 50?

RIght here! I'm 38 and have been a fan and collector since I was about 14. I got a late start in comparison to others but nonetheless I'm under 50 and plan to be running my holiday layouts for as long as the good Lord lets me! Awesome to see kids into this. You don't have to be a retired old...
  3. RedRyder77

Good starter sets for Z Scale?

I'm looking to buy my 1st Z scale RR soon. I see my local Hobby Lobby has Bachman sets for just over the 100.00 mark. Before I spend on one of them I'm wondering if there is anything else I might be missing out on. Anything you feel is a better bang for the buck? Popular names in the scale I...
  4. RedRyder77

What are Plymouth Switchers?

This is probably a dumb question as I know what a switcher does essentially but while doing some random searches on ebay I found these K-Line Plymouth Switchers that I thought looked pretty cool and have somewhat unique look. None of the descriptions went beyond the item description and I was...
  5. RedRyder77

What Do You Do For Christmas?

Thanks for the good word Wombat! I'm all about the family tradition! Hope you're enjoying the season :)
  6. RedRyder77

You don't need a lot of space to have some Christmas fun!! Run em anyway ya can! Much better in the dark...under the snow up front is are chasing mini Christmas lights I found at CVS for 3 bucks almost 6 years ago--2 AA bateries and they haven't failed me yet! Nutcrackers from years...
  7. RedRyder77

The only thing I regret this season...is not starting earlier and I have had 2 trees up and my layout going since Thanksgiving! To say I love Christmas is an understatement. I will post pics soon but for now I'll give you the rundown. Right now it's a "full house" so I don't have the space to...
  8. RedRyder77

And now my friend I know why you sent me this thread :)
  9. RedRyder77

Conrail

Ah fellow New Jersean!...Hey this was a great post! If you care to shed a little more light on your time there or anything that happened afte that 1st day, I would really love to hear it!
  10. RedRyder77

Conrail

I have a ton of questions about Conrail and my friend Bruette did a pretty great job of educating me on the failed merger of PRR and NYC but I'd love to know deeper detail from everyone. I understand Conrail can be pretty unpopular in certain circles...and perhaps just the opposite in others...
  11. RedRyder77

Giving in to temptation...

You know I've collected things in the past really since I was a kid, everything from action figures to comic books and my collection was out of hand. My OCD kicks in and I've always kept things very neat and clean but if you have 1,000 old star wars figures and maybe 4-5 that actually survived...
  12. RedRyder77

Giving in to temptation...

It's almost when I go out of my way to tell myself "no trains for a bit" that I see something I really want...aaaaaannnnnnd have the restraint of a kid in a candy store. So, once again I said "nothing else for awhile" after my last few purchases but of course I see a Western Pacific U-Boat by...
  13. RedRyder77

Article on "Graffiti Problem" in railroading.

I know it wouldn't be easy but I'm thinking tighter security would probably be the best bet. I'm an LTL trucker and my terminal is under constant video surveillance and it's fenced in. I understand it's not that easy to get freight cars rounded up and fenced in to closed quarters after hours but...
  14. RedRyder77

Article on "Graffiti Problem" in railroading.

Pretty ridiculous in my opinion but I'm interested in hearing what other's think. http://cs.trains.com/trn/b/observation-tower/archive/2014/10/15/is-there-a-solution-to-the-graffiti-problem.aspx
  15. RedRyder77

Kid wants to get started in model railroading!

1st, I think it's awesome that you're younger and want to get started! I think the above kinda hit it on the head but maybe I can offer some advice or give you a few questions to ask yourself...do you have any preferences as far as what kind of locomotive you want to start with? Steam, Diesel...
  16. RedRyder77

Union Pacific Burro Crane set

Thanks Louis...This is the 1st UP item I own. Actually last summer here in NJ was the first time I've ever seen a UP locomotive outside of pictures! Maybe that set me off?...I feel like I should have a few other maintenance of way vehicles now, maybe a UP speeder?
  17. RedRyder77

Lionel Gateman (all variations)

Louis I'd love to see a pic of that! I'm not sure if this was a Lionel piece or maybe something custom...I thought I saw a Santa gateman awhile back. Did Lionel make one?
  18. RedRyder77

Lionel Gateman (all variations)

I wanted to dedicate a thread to all things Gateman. I recently purchased my 1st and it was the Halloween Gateman (71-6841-250) and it seems the general consensus is that it's a fairly rare piece. Personally I did not purchase it for that, I just always wanted a Gateman and some Halloween themed...
  19. RedRyder77

Union Pacific Burro Crane set

I just got this on eBay the other day, always wanted a crane and had never seen one in a UP scheme, or this set for that matter. Very happy with my purchase and the seller was great too. I ended up paying $125.00 which included shipping, sounded like a good deal so I picked it up. Everything was...

Back