Search results

1. R

Turn Off Sound on BlueLine Diesel (DC Mode)?

Does anybody know how to turn the sound on a BlueLine diesel completely off in DC mode? It's a noticeable power suck when the sound comes on, but turning it "down" to 0 doesn't seem to ameliorate the situation. I want to "disable" the sound feature in DC mode.
  2. R

Transition from Kato to Atlas HO Track?

I'm building a DCC "test layout" out of odds-n-ends in terms of track and I'm trying to decide how to transition from Kato UniTrack to Atlas flextrack that sits directly on the "table" (foam base). Since the Kato track has a built-in roadbed and the Atlas does not, there's a height differential...
  3. R

How Do You Attach Bus Wires to HCD?

Well, I've managed to paint myself into a corner and am wondering how others have solved this situation: I used hollow core doors (HCDs) with 2" foam on top as the foundation of my new layout. How the heck do I attach the bus wires to the underside of the HCDs to run power all around the layout...
  4. R

O Scale Shelf "Layout"

I'm not sure if this actually qualifies as a "layout", but I am planning to build an O scale around-the-walls shelf-style layout that will occupy a shelf about 9" wide, about 66" off the floor (eye-level for me). I'm thinking about using right-angle shelf brackets to support the shelf...
  5. R

Wall Brackets and Foam Construction Questions

I have an opportunity to build a new HO scale layout, basically starting over from scratch. I'd like to build it around-the-walls, but the cost of "traditional" benchwork is outside of the available budget, so I'm considering using "L" brackets attached to the walls every 18" to 24" to support...
  6. R

Rant: Outrageous Pre-order Lead Times

I got a little computerized message when I logged into one of these forums chiding me for not posting message for “a while now”, practically begging me to post something of interest to the membership. Well, I just happen to have something I’d like to share. . . Don’t let me get off on a rant...
  7. R

Who Is Dick Truesdale?

I'm trying to track down a supposedly well-know model railroader named Dick Truesdale. I think he modeled the Southern Pacific in HO. Does anybody know of him or where I can find information about him or his layout(s)? Thank you!
  8. R

Southern Pacific AC-9

I'm primarily an HO railroad modeler (mainly because that's what I have - the momentum factor), but I confess I'm mesmerized by the "bigger stuff". I own a locomotive and a caboose in "S" scale, and a locomotive and a boxcar in 1:29 ("G") scale. To come to the point: I own a brass HO scale...
  9. R

Foam, Cork, & Track

I'm finally biting the bullet on layout #3 and selling off all the EZ Track (I really love those 35" radius curves!) and going with all flextrack. I've never been able to lay curved flextrack without derailment-prone kinks in the joints, so any advice about that is beaucoup welcome. I'm...
  10. R

Domino Layout Construction Pros & Cons

After a long absence from model railroading, about two years ago I was able to "pick up the thread" and re-enter the hobby, building a respectable 8x16 HO layout in one bay of my three-car garage. I have learned a lot from this project, and, having reached the limits of what I can "tweak"...
  11. R

EZ Track Transition to Flex Track?

I have some legacy Bachmann EZ Track (33" radius curves) that I will be using for a hidden helix on "Layout 2.0" (where I'm applying everything I learned from all the mistakes I made on "Layout 1.0"). I want to use flex track on cork for the rest of the layout. Since the rail tops of EZ...
  12. R

Wobbly HO Freight Cars

Greetings! After being absent from the hobby for ** years, I'm baaaaaack! This is my first post to the first model RR forum I've ever joined, and I have what's probably a really simple question / problem. I notice that a number of my freight cars, especially boxcars, "wobble" in a very...

Back