Search results

1. R

Turn Off Sound on BlueLine Diesel (DC Mode)?

Does anybody know how to turn the sound on a BlueLine diesel completely off in DC mode? It's a noticeable power suck when the sound comes on, but turning it "down" to 0 doesn't seem to ameliorate the situation. I want to "disable" the sound feature in DC mode.
  2. R

Walthers Dayton Machine Co.

I agree with you, Allan; I just happen to have a whole bunch of sheet cork layin' around looking for employment! :D
  3. R

Follow Up on Cherry Creek Hobbies

I second this evaluation. I've had only great experiences with Will at Cherry Creek. I buy from him whenever possible. Superb service, speedy shipping, everything is well packed, prices are excellent.
  4. R

Train Rooms, How Big is Yours?

I checked "Bigger then the above (tell us)" [sic]. I have 2 bays of a 3-bay detached garage. The net space is 24' x 31'. Benchwork is in. Track is being laid. I'm happy I painted the foam 'dirt brown' - who knows how long it will be before I get time to do any proper scenery? Also, I'd have to...
  5. R

Transition from Kato to Atlas HO Track?

I'm building a DCC "test layout" out of odds-n-ends in terms of track and I'm trying to decide how to transition from Kato UniTrack to Atlas flextrack that sits directly on the "table" (foam base). Since the Kato track has a built-in roadbed and the Atlas does not, there's a height differential...
  6. R

My Grand River & Western R.R.

A double track main line, a couple of "branch lines", and a nice big yard. If what you like is running trains vs. constant switching, this plan should fit the bill. Everybody has different interests -- we don't all need to make shelf-style / around the walls / linear layouts. I happen to have a...
  7. R

How Do You Attach Bus Wires to HCD?

DUB: Lots of very intriguing ideas. I'll consider them carefully. Thank you! UP2CSX: Wouldn't you know that RS would have a gizmo like this? I'll head over to the local store Monday and check them out, especially what they use to stick to surfaces. Thanks!
  8. R

Is your layout too big?

I went from 8' x 16' to 24' x 30' in one giant leap for one already overworked dude (me). I'm not sorry I did it (I have 4 scale miles of main line), but after almost a year all that's done is the benchwork and track laid. I sure am glad I painted those blue foam panels 'dirt brown' or it would...
  9. R

How Do You Attach Bus Wires to HCD?

Well, I've managed to paint myself into a corner and am wondering how others have solved this situation: I used hollow core doors (HCDs) with 2" foam on top as the foundation of my new layout. How the heck do I attach the bus wires to the underside of the HCDs to run power all around the layout...
  10. R

Let See Those Pets!

Some good lookin' critters here! I'd post pix, but I have four cats, four dogs, four birds, 50 chickens (well, we think of them as pets -- the eggs are just a side benefit!), 30 goats, 3 horses ... I'd swamp the server!
  11. R

Veteran's Roll Call: All that served or serving our countries

US Army 1971-74 Participant, Southeast Asia War Games (twice) So much wasted effort, confusing body count with victory...
  12. R

Jim Pendley's Feather River of the WP - Open House Photos

Interesting choice of music...
  13. R

Members List

I, too, read more than I post, since I don't always have something to contribute to threads even though they're interesting to me. I know the economy is tough in general, but I'm fortunate enough to be so busy lately with my marketing consulting business that my opportunities to post are farther...
  14. R

Ready to start

What do you do for rail joiners? Kato Unitrack rail joiners are too small to fit on Atlas Code 83 track, and regular Code 83 rail joiners are too loose on Unitrack to maintain good electrical conductivity.
  15. R

My new holiday layout for under the christmas tree started

When I first read the thread topic it got me started thinking about the 1:29 and O Scale 2-Rail models I own that are basically just static displays: Hey! I could buy a simple oval of each gauge track and run these trains around the Christmas tree, just like when I was a kid (chronologically --...
  16. R

on average, how many $$$ do you spend

Gross or net? Since 2006 my railroad modeling hobby has been run on a self-supporting basis, i.e., if I want something new, something I have has to be sold first. This actually works out well, since I have two other hobbies - fabric arts and Boer goats. These are pretty close to break-even...
  17. R

on average, how many $$$ do you spend

Do you consider the sanctuary a hobby? Is that $50K per year? Do you receive donations? Have you considered incorporating your operation as a 501(c)(3) for tax-exempt status? Unless, of course, the $50K is not a strain on your finances...
  18. R

Yard vs. Loop to save room. Does it work?

What about (a) Point-to-Loop with the yard at the end of the line, or (b) Loop-to-Loop with the yard between the loops? Either one could be done shelf-style (except for the loops of course).
  19. R

Bli 2-8-2 youtube vid

I liked the "dusk" effect. Also, -- not a criticism, just an editing suggestion -- a 1 minute, 13 second video with an actionless first 28 seconds challenges today's "instant Internet" attention span. :o
  20. R

How Old Were You?

I had "AF trains around the xmas tree" until my parents got tired of me pestering them to set it up at virtually every holiday or any other excuse I could think of and they bought me an HO set when I was 10. Dad put up a 4x6 in the garage and said "have at it" and I became a virtual hermit in...

Back