Search results

1. Dr. John

Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLIII

Matt, very sorry to hear of your mother's passing. My condolences.
  2. Dr. John

Can you run HO and N scale together?

As long as the N scale part is in the background, it should look fine. It would provide forced perspective, giving the illusion of greater distance. But if the N and HO areas are too close it would look strange and the illusion would be lost. You should be able to run both scales off the same...
  3. Dr. John

My first Layout - a 5' x 9' Modern BNSF Freelance

In my experience, skirts become dust catchers and snag easily. I ended up removing mine. Plus, it's more difficult to move stuff under the layout unless put on a rod of some sort. While I have not tried it, I saw an article in Model Railroader where wooden panels with magnets were used, painted...
  4. Dr. John

My first Layout - a 5' x 9' Modern BNSF Freelance

I love the facia - nice work. And I'll be the contrarian. I would vote against the skirt. :rolleyes:
  5. Dr. John

Coffee Shop XXXIX-9/21/2013

Jeffrey, I love the dinosaur pushing the caboose. It reminds me of the one John Allen used on his Gorre & Daphetid many years ago. :)
  6. Dr. John

Rainy afternoon, courtesy of remnant of the non-hurricane that's bouncing along the Gulf Coast. Cold front will bring us some fall-like temperatures this week.
  7. Dr. John

Keeping an eye on Tropical Storm Karen. Father-in-law lives in Mobile, so he's directly in the path. Doesn't look like a major storm but plenty of rain is headed our way. It should be a soggy Sunday this weekend. Youngest daughter is down from Birmingham for a brief visit. Taking her Hyundai in...
  8. Dr. John

Jerome's Switcher Roster

Nice work, Karl! I've always liked the Canton RR paint scheme. Very eye-catching!
  9. Dr. John

Happy birthday, Barry! Carey - sorry you and your wife are sick. Hope you both rebound and that your washer situation is handled to your satisfaction.
  10. Dr. John

A very pretty start to fall down here in Alabama. Sunny and mild with low humidity. Temps this week only into the 80's. (That's sweater weather for the south). The grass is slowing down too, so I may only have a few more weeks of grass cutting before I park Edna the Deere for the winter.
  11. Dr. John

Coffee Shop XXXVIII-7/20/2013

Wow! Great haul there, Karl! You DEFINITELY did not spend too much. The Marx set is technically O-27 (the cars were also available in their O-27 sets) but actually scales out about S (3/16). The 2 rail track indicates the missing loco had a clock-work drive. Love the Marx tin lithography! :D...
  12. Dr. John

Carey - glad you had a good trip to Mobile. Sorry to hear about the old Frisco 4-8-2 in the park. I used to pass by it all the time but haven't seen it in about 10 years since we moved up to Prattville. Someone threw a slap-dash paint job on it back in the '90s but it was a poor job with cheap...
  13. Dr. John

Jeffrey - love the veteran's memorial you have there. Warm and sunny in the middle of Alabama today. Pleasant temps in the evening but it's still downright hot by mid-afternoon. I'm about ready for fall to arrive.
  14. Dr. John

Karl - a belated "Happy Anniversary" to you and your wife. We enjoyed a very nice, quiet Labor Day. Now, I'm trying to wrap my head around Tuesday as it feels like Monday. Oh well. :confused: Seems like summer began in September this year in Alabama - another hot, humid day in Prattville.
  15. Dr. John

Carey - Happy anniversary! :) Jeffrey - the F3 looks good polished up. As to the vents on the passenger cars, I imagine that varies from road to road and shop to shop.
  16. Dr. John

Happy Labor Day, y'all! Breezy and overcast in central Alabama. Nice break from yesterday's heat - must have been the hottest day of the year with a heat index of 103. Boston butt and cole slaw are done, potato salad and baked beans are on deck (thanks to my lovely wife). I serve an important...
  17. Dr. John

^ Agreed. Bama O-Line is going to have to step it up against A&M in 2 weeks. I think Saban is up to the task of motivating them. Special teams were excellent!
  18. Dr. John

Honestly, one of the most enjoyable model trains sounds (at least to my ears) is the metallic tune of tin-plate Marx cars rattling around on tin-plated rails. No, it ain't 'prototype,' but it sure is fun! Can't wait to put up the O-27 Marx/Lionel Christmas layout in a couple of months! :) And...
  19. Dr. John

I have mixed feelings about sound in locomotives. It can get annoying rather quickly. I have one steam engine with sound (Bachmann On30 Forney) and two diesels with sound (a BLI SW-7 and a Walthers/Proto SW-8). I definitely like the steam sound effects better.
  20. Dr. John

Carey, glad your second eye surgery went well. Now you can convert the Alabama Central to Z scale and run scale-length trains! ;)

Back