Search results

1. M

Ideas for a New Layout

The latest tweaked plan. I removed the #5 from the mainline and replaced it with a #6 and still kept the radii to the spurs at 20". The yard is short, but I can always build a fold down staging extension.
  2. M

Ideas for a New Layout

That's a good idea, but it's a pretty major change. I've already build the frames for my benchwork and spaced the frame out based roughly on this plan. I like the tunnel in the NW corner because it breaks the scene up and gives the illusion that the train has traveled farther than it really has...
  3. M

Ideas for a New Layout

The latest version. I made a few changes in some spots and moved some things around slightly so that it would be easier to lay out the track center lines. I added an extra bridge and road underpass and re-arranged the southern station layout.
  4. M

Ideas for a New Layout

Ah, OK. I'm on the same page as you guys now. Not planning on running much if any passenger service. I don't even own a passenger car. The mainline curves are 22" R in several spots, so I don't think any passenger cars would look right. Any thoughts on benchwork? I'm thinking open grid with...
  5. M

Ideas for a New Layout

Yeah, the gray box is a parking lot. The station is next to the parking lot. I wanted to have the road cross the main line at least once. I've got a good idea to build a grade crossing flasher circuit for $5 and I want to have at least one place to use it. What is "pax" trains?? Local delivery...
  6. M

Ideas for a New Layout

The brown boxes to the south of the station are a coal and water tower to service locos coming off of the turntable. I'm not really sure I even need the small siding in front of the southern station. I don't think I can get it to loop around with a curved switch either, so I might just get rid...
  7. M

Ideas for a New Layout

Made some changes based on Cajon's recommendations. It was tricky to get it all to fit nicely, but I like how it came out. I might accidentally start on benchwork this weekend.
  8. M

Ideas for a New Layout

Yes, the yard isn't up against a wall. The north and east side of the plan will be up against a wall in the corner of the room. A lot of people have said to get rid of the turntable, but its pretty high up on my "gotta have" list. I'll make a few changes as cajon suggested and post a revised...
  9. M

Ideas for a New Layout

So, I'm bringing back an old thread here. I started this design last spring, but never made it much farther than a design. My wife and I thought we might move to a different city, so I put the whole project on hold. Now we've decided to stay in our house of the long haul, so that leaves me to...
  10. M

Ideas for a New Layout

That part of the layout is on the open side. You will be able to access both sides. Check back towards the first of the thread, I posted a drawing of the room. The north and east will be up against walls. The southeast corner is angled to avoid a window.
  11. M

Ideas for a New Layout

Check out the redesigned layout. I did it with SCARM CAD software. I also added a runaround track on the branchline. A mining operation will be at the end of the branchline. The town will be just above the yard on the left side. The mainline will rise at a 3.5% +/- grade above the rest of the...
  12. M

Ideas for a New Layout

My current layout is the one I first started with as a kid, so it's +15 years old. Its been rebuild once already and I've got it set up for DCC. I really want to rebuild it because the track plan was not very good and the entire layout is way to big to move. I've thought about N scale, but I've...
  13. M

Ideas for a New Layout

Thanks for the help! I am aware that the BN wasn't formed until 1970. I plan to use the DRG&W as a reference, but my railroad is entirely fictional, so I'm bending history a little. I figure as long as I don't bend history too much and it is still plausible, then my railroad will keep the...
  14. M

Ideas for a New Layout

Hello everyone! This is my first post here and I could use some input on my plans for a new layout. I have a 4x8 layout that I designed in high school, but it just isn't quite what I want. I've decided to tear it down and start over. I have a few things that I want in a new layout for sure: 1) A...

Back