Search results

1. S

HO Buckeye Trucks

I remember seeing and reading a thread relating to these a while back. However, since this deals with some new topics, I figure I'll start a new thread. First off, does anyone know if Eastern Car Works Roller bearing Truck kits are available anywhere? I can't seem to track them down, as...
  2. S

Getting Shell off of Atlas HO C40-8W

Does anybody know the correct procedure for removing the shell of an Atlas HO Dash-8 without damaging anything? A wire must have come loose within the engine as it now only receives current in one direction. I'm confident I can fix whatever the problem may be, if only I could get into the darn...
  3. S

Coupler Cut Bars

Does anyone sell coupler cut bars (of any type, though preferably AAR Type 1) with the brackets already installed/molded on? I'm getting tired of trying to put those d@mn Details Associates brackets on the bars, only to lose 2 or 3 as they go flying across the room. :mad: Having the bar and...
  4. S

Curved Surfaces

I need to find a way to make parts that fit on the C30-7. I need to find a way to get the Details Associates Prime Air Conditioner to fit on the roof, then model the large Sinclair antenna stand (essentially a big box), and finally the Locotrol unit just behind the cab on this locomotive...
  5. S

And now for something completely different...

Compare to: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=236332&nseq=9 Created it using Autodesk Inventor. Got the dimensions by comparing pixel lengths of the Superliners in the full-size photo with actual dimensions and then converting them to HO. Finally I compressed them to a more doable...
  6. S

Weather Simulator

Alright, so I today I got bored and decided to create a function/program on Matlab (expensive custom math function program, cheap only if you're in college and have a University software store) and decided to create a function to simulate weather during an operating session using some of the...
  7. S

Scalecoat I on Plastic

Ok, so the hobby shop messed up and gave me Scalecoat I on accident, when I really wanted Scalecoat II. My question is, can you use Scalecoat I on plastic safely? I don't want to open the bottle to test it in hopes that I can possibly exchange it. If it requires primer, would Testor's gray...
  8. S

Static Grass Applicator

I'm about to embark on a quest to apply a lot of static flock grass to our club layout and display layout. I would like to make a static grass applicator using this article. However, I'm having trouble getting a hold of a negative ion generator. The only company that sells the DC variation...
  9. S

Adding Grabirons

I have two projects coming up, both involving adding handrails where there were none previously. Both models are HO, one is a caboose and the other is an Athearn Blue Box Engine. The Blue Box engine won't be as hard because of you can see where the handrails used to be. However, the caboose will...
  10. S

Adding Ditchlights

Alright, I've got my Athearn RTR GP60M. It's almost everything I want it to be, except for one thing: it doesn't have operating ditchlights. I've looked everywhere, but I can't find any articles on the subject of adding them. How would one go about doing this? Would you be able to somehow...
  11. S

Overloading Engine

Alright guys, I've got a relatively new Athearn RTR GP60M (less than a year old) that keeps overloading the powerpacks at my club. It only started doing this within the past two weeks maybe. Before that it ran fine. What could cause it to do this? What causes an overload in the first place...
  12. S

Athearn Maxi II running tips

I'm attempting to run the blue box Maxi-II's on my club's layout. I realize the principal problem in running these is the lack of weight on them. I have begun weighing down my containers, and I've got a decent amount of them weighed down. The ones that I do have weighed down are placed at the...
  13. S

Modifying IHC Crossing Signals

Awhile ago, I picked up some IHC Railroad Crossing Signals on sale. I'm on a very limited budget, so they were a good deal. The only thing I don't like about them is the signals/crossbucks, they are pretty undetailed and crude. However, I want to keep the alternator, sound, and detection. How...

Back