Search results

1. T

N gauge track

Without kinking I can get it down to about 3.5" diameter, if you can set the trucks on a 40' car to be perpendicular it goes around and around .... :-)
  2. T

HO Curves

Depends on how you cut the plywood, if you make a 5" wide, 36" radius (cut in sections) a 4' x 8' will be more than enough.
  3. T

A layout inspired (more or less) by the Heart of Georgia

Some things I thought about the H.O.G. and your railroad: I would still put triangular pieces in the corners, it should not affect your reach; even with two sides against walls this railroad would be fine to work on and operate; consider raising it to chest high to make it easy to duck under...
  4. T

Model RR mags

Yeah, back in the seventies, block control, rotary switches, throttles tethered at best, had to stop your train every time you moved your throttle to another outlet. When DCC came out we were all ready to go, we did a group buy on Digitrax, about 20 systems, and have not looked back. We...
  5. T

How to build a two decks H0 layout ?

You can build one deck above or below another. Vertical spacing based on depth of shelf and how much space you want. Do you want to connect both decks and run a train from one to the other? If so, you need a long enough run to make a gentle grade to take the train from one level to the other...
  6. T

Atlas and Peco track ?

Yes, but you will need to stick the tip of your tongue out while you are doing this.
  7. T

Reversing Loops and DCC a question

Reversing loops do not affect the locos. What it does affect is the track polarity, so you have to insulate both rails at both ends of the reversing section. And in your case you would do this for both reversing loops. You can use a manual switch to change polarity while the train is in the...
  8. T

What is the HO scale measurement of this passenger car?

HO is 1:87, so multiply your measurement by 87.
  9. T

What happened .

I'll bet it was a leap day glitch. All gas stations in NZ were down for 10 hours due to a leap day glitch. Not like this is the first leap day, sigh ...
  10. T

This is how I problem solve....

Unlike many, you have a plan! :-)
  11. T

Help on removing trucks from this locomotive

The worm cover is horse shoe shaped with the ends clipping over the gearset. I used a small flat blade screwdriver to pry one side out and up slightly and then the other side. Be careful, they are slippery Delrin and can travel a great distance and hide well! :-)
  12. T

Haven't done this for years!

Consider an along the wall shelf railroad so you can put it at the height that meets your needs. Make the depth so you can reach without issues. A point to point railroad would put more emphasis on scenery and operations, not buying a lot of equipment.
  13. T

Track Plan for a Beginner

At the age your kids are they definitely want to be hands on and not just watch trains go around. With DCC all of you can be running a loco at the same time. Not knowing your physical space I would still suggest a narrow or shelf type railroad that goes around the room or point to point with...
  14. T

Number of wire feeders DCC 3 tracks

I'll assume HO scale and nickel silver track. I would suggest drops from the track to the power bus every six feet of track. That will help alleviate issues with power loss due to track resistance and poorly connected track.
  15. T

Is DCC sound really required?

Well my Lionel made sound in the fifties and it was really cool! My N gauge in the sixties and seventies was silent and meh! My HO in eighties and since has been silent, but more and more HO railroads I operate on have sound and getting more of it. So my answer is you don't need sound, but...
  16. T

Quick, hopefully easy question….

Yes, powering the UP-7 allows it to recharge the Dt602 / UT6 throttles. Digitrax sells a power supply that will plug in, (PS14). Or you can make your own. I have a 12VDC bus for all my face plates and I just wire my own 2mm jacks to connect them.
  17. T

DC & DCC

I would think best to convert your DC system to DCC by putting decoders in your DC locos. That way you get all the advantages of DCC.
  18. T

Do I need to use the Walthers Bright Boy track cleaner?

I would use the eraser, it is not abrasive, for trouble spots try Goo Gone and clean it off the tracks when done. I would use the Bright Boy just before reaching for a file.
  19. T

LEDs install for dc locomotive

I believe all you need is the LED and a bridge rectifier. Connect the A/C leads of the rectifier to track power and the D/C leads to the LED. The rectifier diodes will provide the voltage drop to run the LED.
  20. T

Necessary dcc equipment

I'm familiar with Digitrax equipment. They will work with solenoid or stall motor machines to control your turnouts. Best go to "digitrax.com" to find the stationary decoder that meets your needs. They also have block detectors that can communicate to the stationary decoders. I'm working on...

Back