Search results

1. M

New Dual Gauge Layout Design. HO/HOn3

I started working on a dual guage HO/HOn3 layout. I'm still having trouble designing a yard that both Gauge tracks meet at. A transfer yard I imagine. I have attached a file that has the basic feel that I'm going for. I don't want this ti end up a HUGE yard with all 10 commandments of yard...
  2. M

Planning a logging/coal layout.

Hey everyone, It's been a long time since I have posted. But good news... I have acquired a new area to build a layout. The room will be approximately 14'x15', with a 3'x20' staging/reverse loop area. I have yet to even stud out the walls, so I have a long way to go before running trains.:D...
  3. M

Got a Spectrum Metropolitan skyscraper...Now What?

I finally got my hands on one of those Bachmann Spectrum Metropolitan building. Now I've seen a lot of versions of this built, from straight forward out of the box, to multi kitbashed like Rod Stewarts MEGA city. Have any of you built this kit? Any special paint jobs, interior lighting done...
  4. M

Refinery Facility Ideas

I'm looking to add a refinery facility on the layout that my Dad and I are building. It is based in the Philadelphia area. I remember driving down one of the highways and seeing the refineries, especially one. It had a bunch of round globe type storage tanks. The best part of these was that...
  5. M

Need ideas for a building.

I'm starting a new kit for my Dad's layout. The original kit is a HELJAN 1910 Era Brewery. I like the kit but I would like to make something completely different out of it. The kit is made up of 3 separate structures. The left side of the building I was thinking of using for a large...
  6. M

Which "Chopper" do You Like?

I'm looking into getting one of the Choppers available from Northwest Short Line, NWSL. I was just wondering, Pro's and Con's of each. "1" I like the for size and $, but the ridged blade is less options for cutting. "2" Nice size, a little more expensive, but more cutting option it...
  7. M

Who Invited All the Unwanted Guests?

Has anyone else notices the user member and guests counts over the past day or 2? We are up over 1,000 users,with about 985 of them being guests. If you look at the "Who's on line" tab under the Quick Links the hasn't been any activity from most of them for over a day. How can we/the...
  8. M

Easiest way to upload images?

Looking at all the postings I see people using many different ways to post their pictures. I've always uploaded direct from my computer to the manage images feature on this site. I have notice most people using Photobucket.com and other similar sites to upload their images, and then they link...
  9. M

Walther's Wooden Coaling Tower

I started building the Walther's Wood Coaling Tower. Here are some progress pictures of how I built it. Here is the humble beginnings of the project. The unpainted base. This is painted with Polyscale, Aged Concrete and the rail supports are Grimy Black, with a few washes of Red...
  10. M

Why is the kit so expensive?

I saw this kit on Ebay at an extremely high price. I was wondering if any of you know why? Ebay Walther's planing shed kit? I'm curious because I bought the kit on ebay about a year ago for around $35. With only a day left for this to sell it's already up to $107.50 WHY? WHY? WHY...
  11. M

Wiring for a roundhouse?

I am wiring lights in the roundhouse for my Dad's layout. See schematic below. Click on it to see clearer. The bulbs being used are 1.5v 15mA, grain of rice style(YELLOW circles). I was thinking of having 5 rows, 1 for each timber frame between tracks, with each row having 4 bulbs. The...
  12. M

EXTREME Makeover: Layout Edition

A couple weeks back, I was asking about charging to build a layout for someone. Charging to Scenic a layout? By the way, thanks for all the input. Well, here's the start of "EXTREME Makeover:Layout Edition" I named the thread after the TV show because I am REALLY pressed for time on...
  13. M

Can you spare a tanker?

I was surfing and found this photo from the late 1800's. This is the LINK . I think I need to build up my fleet of tankers to a few hundred or so... that John D. Rockefeller sure had a couple bucks in his pocket. Do you see that lone switcher in the middle-left of the shot. He's got...
  14. M

Charging to Scenic a layout?

I just got a lead to scenic a womans Lionel layout. I have yet to see the layout yet, but I heard it's 10x12'. A very basic track plan on the horrid green grass mat. A painter/faux artist that comes into my store has pushed his limits and thought he could scenic the layout. Well, He realized...
  15. M

Spray both idea

I'm installing a new range hood over then oven. So, as I sit the old hood on the ground on it's side, the light bulb in my head goes on (not the one in the hood:p ). A spray booth! I have some ideas on how to transform it. But I want your opinions first. Has anyone done this...
  16. M

Found a nice tree source.

Last fall 2006, I was walking through the parking lot of the grocery store, across from my store... Well, what did my wondering eyes behold!? A waist high shrub/bush, full of perfect trees for my layout. The landscape of the stripmall complex was filled with literally million of trees that...
  17. M

PRR orange juice train?

A few months back in Model Railroader they had an article about modern Tropicana juice train that runs from Florida to North Jersey. Now I see this train pass when I railfan in Bound Brook, NJ and it's a sight to see... I need a heck of a big glass of OJ after it passes. I was wondering...
  18. M

Right sound for VO-1000?

What would be the right sound decoder "sound" for the Stewart Baldwin VO-1000? Would it be the generic 1st generation decoders?
  19. M

Weathering a Stewart VO-1000

This is a Stewart VO-1000 that I got off of eBay at a great deal. It had a very slight blemish on the shell from the packaging. But I'm one to never let an engine go unweathered, so I jumped onthe deal. I got it for a total of $31.50... that included shipping! Ye-haw! Well, here's how I...
  20. M

Useful Backdrop Photos

For any of you looking for photos to print out and use on your backdrops, this can be a starting point for research. I've Googled landscape images in the past but Google doesn't know everything... well not yet. if you have any links that you know of please add to this post. They can be rural...

Back