Search results

1. GDSmith

Switcher pair seen in Savannah, GA

First time that I have seen a switcer IRL .. and there was a 'consisted' pair of them to boot :-)
  2. GDSmith

DCC Ready plugs - empty or dummy?

Sometime back in the EARLY Spring I bought an Athearn AC4400 "DCC Ready" loco. Then I broke my leg (OUCH !!!) and couldn't get upstairs to the train room til about a month ago. I did some cleaning and designing before getting back to the loco. Now the loco has an EMPTY 8-pin connector and a...
  3. GDSmith

Cattle Car description

When I go to search for a "cattle car", what should I be searching for in terms of model railroad car types? I tried a generic "HO Scale cattle car" but didn't find anything of use. Obviously if I go to a train show (next one for me is Mid-April in Hickory, NC) I will "know it when I see it"...
  4. GDSmith

Electric Drill for pin vise bits?

Sometime in the past few months, someone posted (probably as a reply to a thread) an electric drill (battery operated?) that would accept the SMALL bits that we use in our pin vises. I remember seeing the picture of the drill .... I even remember going to a website (or two) and looking at the...
  5. GDSmith

Engineering help needed

In "The Project Room" forum and "Structures and Buildings" sub-forum, I've had a running thread about building a Transfer Table and 8-bay Maintenance and Storage Building. I've progressed to the point where I'm working on fine details of the Transfer Table and having issues with it tracking...
  6. GDSmith

Railroad Art

This is a picture that we picked up at the Raleigh (NC) Train Show a few weeks back. We bought it mainly because of the location of the station - Point of Rocks, MD. That was less than 30mins from our house in WV.
  7. GDSmith

Wiring up a string of small LEDs

The problem: - I have about 13vDC coming out of the DCC leads on my DH126D decoder - I have a string of small LEDs that run off three 1.5v AAA batteries (4.5vDC) I don't know anything about "forward volts" or whatever :-( so - can anyone tell me what they would do to hook this contraption...
  8. GDSmith

2014 Christmas Ornament

My wife went to the Post Office today, saw the ornament on display, took a picture of it, and showed it to me. I liked it so much that I went back to the Post Office and bought one for me :-)
  9. GDSmith

Multimeter usage - is this correct ?

I got a very unexpected result from my meter today and it got me to thinking - am I even using it correctly ? Shown here, the leads are connected to the track and registering 9.8v against the ACV (AC Volts ?) side of the dial. (I was showing 10.8v this afternoon so the 9.8v is a bit...
  10. GDSmith

New Acquisitions

We returned home for Thanksgiving and I decided to visit our local train store. There were several GP-50's, in various road names, in the display case that were marked down to $135 (Athearn Genesis with DCC and sound.) I asked if they were going to have any further markdowns and the lady said...
  11. GDSmith

DIY Transfer Table and Engine Maintenance/Storage Building

I think I've received all the parts that I need for construction except the motorized truck that I'll be using for the transfer table movement. It's an NWSL Stanton Drive with a (scale) 10' wheelbase. I ordered (and received) a Digitrax DH126D decoder that should give me DCC access to the...
  12. GDSmith

Locomotive Storage Suggestions

I'm looking for some suggestions on storing my DCC locomotives on live track on the layout - I'm thinking of something in the way of a train yard but each track would store only one loco (so a max of 20" of rail ). The three pictures below show what I can think of to get the engines in storage...
  13. GDSmith

Rolling past the train yard

GP38 with "troop cars" trailing behind Alco S2 Switcher getting coal cars ready Big Boy heading up the coal train Big Boy and GP38
  14. GDSmith

Satellite Picture

Image from my newsfeed this morning
  15. GDSmith

New Trains getting set-up in ManCave

I'm not happy yet with all the track work, but the full loop (inner & outer) seems to be working http://vid823.photobucket.com/albums/zz158/gdsmith56/NC_Railroad/Trains01_zps6b3cd48d.mp4
  16. GDSmith

I'm planning on a re-build

First - if this isn't allowed, please let me know and I'll remove it Since our move from WV to NC is completed, we're starting to organize our new house and the BONUS ROOM is going to be mine for a new train room. I've decided that the best / quickest way to do it is to have EVERYONE help me...
  17. GDSmith

New Big Boy - Athearn Genesis (DCC with Tsunami Sound)

It will be at least two weeks before it hits my track (I'm still on an extended vacation near Charlotte) but I ordered the new Big Boy and it arrived yesterday. It looks great but I'm mostly excited about the sound and pulling power! With the new twin-motor DD40AX, I should have quite a pair...
  18. GDSmith

Southern Railway steam engine 630

I looked in a couple forums and didn't see this posted so here it is - a friend sent it to me this morning and I liked it. I would have loved to be there to see it. http://www.youtube.com/embed/nQ2JdzBaSm8 Last weekend, 4-20&21, 2013, this event caused "quite a stir" around Old Fort, NC...
  19. GDSmith

Impressive Scene

This is NOT my layout - I saw it at the Model Train Show in Ranson, WV today and really liked it. It was more impressive at the show because of the flashing red and blue lights :o
  20. GDSmith

Getting trains off the layout

I've been at a standstill due to a lack of tools/parts so I decided to make a small case for some of my trains and rolling stock. Normally they'd be sitting on the track, somewhere in my way, so this helps me keep things a bit cleaner. (not sure why this one is washed out, but just a...

Back