Search results

1. J

Lifelike USRA 0-8-0

With traction tires and all drivers geared, it ought to pull well. I am a little disapointed they will be furnished with Accumates and not MT couplers. $123 is a good price. Unless of course they get blowed out on the Walthers site for $85 like the berks did. A lousy puller but brutally handsome...
  2. J

Kato NW-2

OK, thanks. I pasted it there. I was not aware of the review section. I should really have a digital camera too.
  3. J

Kato NW-2

I finally got one of these little critters in CB&Q (Kato NW-2). There has been a lot of discussion on these concerning noise and pulling power. First off, the detail and decoration is what we've come to expect from Kato. Crisp and sharp. The CB&Q Zephyr scheme has always been a favorite of...
  4. J

Best Track

In my opinion, Atlas code 55 is the best looking of them all. It has been featured in some centerspread layouts in NSR magazine weathered and ballasted. Appearance wise, it wins hands down and makes anything else look toyish no matter how well done it is. The ties are profiled and spaced right...
  5. J

Kato/Atlas Locos

Depending on how old the engines are, some older lubricants dry out and gum up with age acting like glue which could be why the engines sound like they are slipping. Brass electrical contacts can oxodize with age causing lack of continuity. As others suggest, run them maybe to burn off...
  6. J

Starting in N

Life Like starter sets can be had for $75 or less. Many are headed by their GP-20s, GP-18's, or SW switchers. These are good engines as they are detailed and run nearly as well as Atlas but aren't easy to upgrade to DCC. The rolling stock is so so and so is the power pack. The sets come with...
  7. J

InterMountain covered hoppers

Intertmountain does lack quality control compared to Atlas and Microtrains. The handrails on a tunnel motor were not installed squarely and the shells on both will not cinch to the frames causing them to come ajar after a few hours of running. A CA-4 caboose came with a misaligned body mount...
  8. J

We need cabooses badly

Marty, those are sharp. Love the extended CBQ and Milw bay window.
  9. J

Women who are model railroaders

My wife likes trains and likes to get involved with me in collecting. running trains, and detailing structures. She is casual about it however and doesn't talk about it much.
  10. J

Yes, the difference is like night and day.
  11. J

I went on an Intermountain binge recently when my dealer marked down his entire stock. The madness included GN and Soo Line hoppers (love the Soo Line). They are very nicely detailed and decorated cars. They come MT truck/coupler sets so I got the best of both worlds. As with anything else...
  12. J

We need cabooses badly

I live near Green Bay and around 15 years ago, a train buddy and I went nuts chasing one of the last remaining RS-27's, a GBW, on its highballs to Black Creek with a cam corder. The reviews of the new HO LifeLike model in MR and RMC rushed back some good memories.
  13. J

We need cabooses badly

I think we need more caboose styles and roadnames for N scale. The current selection is too limited and we often settle for dated models that we modify to current standards.
  14. J

Hello and have a question about passenger cars

As a general rule, the mininum radius should be 2.5 times the length of your longest car. If the car is 6" long, 15" radius is the ideal mininum.
  15. J

Some Random N Scale Thoughts

I had a couple stints with N scale once in the 70's and once in the 80's. It was too futzy and problematic for me plus the selection was too limited. So I stayed with HO and later 3 rail O gauge. Not long ago, I began noticing the growing selection and improved quality of N scale and gave it...

Back