Search results

1. Hawkeye251

Tangent Scale Models ?

The undecorated kits are half the price. However, they sell like hotcakes whenever a new run becomes available, so you've got to watch for them. From the sound of it, they've done very well with their method of designing and releasing new models. - Chris
  2. Hawkeye251

Athearn P-42; a Walthers Exlusive Model

I think you mean Phase V. Athearn sells P42's in Phase IV. These Walthers units are painted in Phase V, and that I believe, is what Walthers has exclusive rights to (Phase IVb has only been applied to coaches, but I would imagine Walthers also has the rights to that one as well...)...
  3. Hawkeye251

Car Float

Double level barges are used on the Seattle to Alaska Hydro Train regularly: http://www.railroadforums.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/31826/size/big/ppuser/4700 I saw them regularly growing up in Port Townsend. The cabins on the Milwaukee barges that served the Seattle-Port Townsend were...
  4. Hawkeye251

Rotary unloader

Oh but there are rotary couplers available: http://www.sergentengineering.com/ click on "Products" and "Rotary" you'll have to use Sergents for the non-rotating end on all cars in a unit train, but since those don't really need to be coupled to other types of cars, it's not like you'd have to...
  5. Hawkeye251

What is the major difference between EMD F3A and F7A from outside?

Unfortunately, it's not really that simple to differentiate between F unit models. An early F3 could look a lot like a late F2, and a late F3 could look very similar to an early F7, a late F7 might look an awful lot like an early F9. Generally if it has taller fans, chicken wire grills, three...
  6. Hawkeye251

Weekend Photo Fun 11-14/11-17

That's true too... I think Athearn decided they looked similar enough to get 2 units out of the same shell. Actually probably three... I bet that's an F45 too. It sure was nice having locomotives available for $20.00, but I certainly don't miss some of the shortcuts manufacturers used to...
  7. Hawkeye251

Weekend Photo Fun 11-14/11-17

That's true... except that what you have there is an FP45, which did indeed have handrails: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMD_FP45 - Chris
  8. Hawkeye251

Railflyer at Springfield

I just received the photo-etch for my Railflyer Canadian cab, from what I've been told all the cab orders have now shipped, so everyone who ordered one should have this stuff very soon as well. Anyway the frets look really terrific. I'm going to try to build up my cab over the next few days and...
  9. Hawkeye251

Railflyer BN GP38-2, 2154

Railflyer Hood Door Kits. I finally got around to assembling the Railflyer Hood Door kit I got awhile ago, it's a multimedia approach to building the engine and radiator room doors. The kit I assembled is a test run and while it didn't have any issues as far as it's representation of the...
  10. Hawkeye251

Weekend Photo Fun 8-29/9-1

Josh, That's a very cool project. I'll be looking forward to what you make of it. Keep us posted of the goings-on at WPM... someday I'll have to plan a vacation to SoCal about this time of year. Chris
  11. Hawkeye251

Scanners for Railfanning

I got a scanner last year, a pretty basic radio shack model. It doesn't have text tags which would be nice, but otherwise fits my purposes just fine. I also have a Motorola Railscan Gain Antenna which is tuned to 160-161mhz and does a really incredible job of picking up railroad signals...
  12. Hawkeye251

Railflyer Questions

It sounds like a lot of your questions have been answered, but just to add my two cents... for the complete picture, definitely e-mail Christopher Howard: christopher@railflyermodelprototypes.com. One of the main things Railflyer has going for it is that you can contact them and get a quick...
  13. Hawkeye251

Railflyer BN GP38-2, 2154

I've done some more work on my Railflyer GP38-2. Some of this stuff was posted in the WPF a few weeks back, but the tread and a couple of other things are new. http://milepost15.wordpress.com/ - Chris
  14. Hawkeye251

Painting... ARGH

Yeah, definitely don't use ModelFlex to brush, it's not a terrible paint, but it's finicky and as Josh said is only for airbrushing. Your problem is probably the paint and the brush, The best paint you can buy is Tamiya acrylics. They have an excellent formula and brush on smooth and even...
  15. Hawkeye251

Weekend photofun 25 26 27 July 2008

Just to add to what UP2CSX said, accordingto ngineering's website these are the worlds smallest chip LED's... whether or not that is true I don't know. Slightly larger one's are available in a number of places with leads all the way attached, but only these one's are small enough to fit in an...
  16. Hawkeye251

"Silent" air compressors?

I have one... It's actually a medical compressor designed for use with a nebulizer. I got mine for free from a friend who had two, but I think they go for under $50 bucks on e-bay. All you need to do to convert it for airbrush use is get the correct fitting from Home Depot or Lowes. So far...
  17. Hawkeye251

Ngineering has everything you need: http://www.ngineering.com/accessories.htm I highly recommend the 12w mini soldering iron they sell. Chris
  18. Hawkeye251

Yes, that's #38 magnet wire, with very thin insulation. It burns off when the wire is tinned. Chris
  19. Hawkeye251

Hi Everyone, I've been meaning to post some of this stuff for awhile now, but I keep getting distracted by new projects, not to mention the fact that the weathers been too nice to sit in front of a computer long enough to get any photo's together. This week it was raining though, so here's...
  20. Hawkeye251

Comment by 'Hawkeye251' in media 'Scratchbuilding HO Scale MK-1200G (LNG) Switcher - UP1298'

Allen, That is some really fabulous work. I'd consider it scratchbuilding.... there's really not much of the original GP35 left... Great job, I can't wait to see more. Chris

Back