Search results

1. D

UTLX modern decals

I have a undec. atlas 25500 gal tank car that I would like to do in a UTLX modern scheme. I have looked online and cant find any decals. wondering if someone can tell me where to get some, or why there are not available. I would think these would be popular.......Thanks.....Dale.
  2. D

painting FEC Trenton Rebuilt double-stack cars 70000 series yellow.

I am painting an FEC double stack car yellow and need to know if I should use Tru-color paint and to use the FEC new Yellow or FEC old yellow. Also what is anyones opinion of Tru color airbrush paint. My other alternative is Testors flat sunflower color and plenty of weathering. Thanks......Dale.
  3. D

UTLX decals.

I've searched the internet and cant find any modern UTLX tank car decals. Does anyone know who might make these decals? I dont know if I can trust Oddballs decals.
  4. D

Athearn RTR motor

Hi everyone. A friend has an Athearn RTR motor new that buzzes and runs slowly. I oiled it a little and it was OK for a while, then went to buzzing again. I'm thinking that there may be a little too much clearance between the shaft and the bushing and the shaft is bouncing around inside the...
  5. D

Athearn blue box motor

Hi, all! I have some of my athearn locos run a little slower frontwards than backwards. took motors out and found motors run a little slower in one direction than the other. Was wondering if anyone knew why this was or if this was normal. Also have a motor that seems like it runs equally in...
  6. D

athearn r t r gearing 12:1 to 14:1

Hi, all! I was wondering if there was any practical way to change athearn rtr 12:1 gearing to genesis 14:1 gearing. thanks....Dale
  7. D

Hobby Lobby 53ft trailers

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone knows of any decals for ho 53 ft trailers in a Hobby Lobby scheme, or has some good pics of these. I have seen them riding the rails....Thanks..............Dale.
  8. D

custom decals

I have a couple of Walthers 53 ft containers that don't look too bad other than missing numbers on the front. I would like to use a computer to make black numbers and clear background onto a waterslide decal. Need to know where to buy and what kind of decal paper to buy and what kind of...
  9. D

Walthers SceneMaster containers

Hi all. Saw on model train stuff they had Walthers scene master 53 ft containers such as a 949-8504. Wondering if anyone has bought any of these and your opinion of their quality. They didn't look that bad only from the picture. I usually like atlas or athearn. Thanks...Dale
  10. D

adhesive for loose bulk loads

Hi all. Am making a scrap aluminum load for a gondola. have a wood block w/ foil on top, to within about 1/8 in of top edge of car. I have little bits of aluminum (about 1/4 in size) to spread or sprinkle on top of this up to the top of car. I would like to know a good adhesive to use to...
  11. D

gear noise, Ac4400 athearn bluebox

Hi, all. Made some progress on my ac44 starting , works 'bout as good as an athearn can. gearboxes are pretty free. Now I have excessive gear noise. All the gears look good, mesh nicely, using brass worm. I cant figure out the noise. The buzz seems about in sync with motor revs...
  12. D

wrapping rolling stock in plastic sheet

I notice with new engines, there is a little plastic sheath between the item and its cushion shell. A friend told me not to wrap models in plastic umbrella bags as the bags will mar the paint on the item. What kinds of plastic sheet is ok to use to wrap models or what kinds are not. I am...
  13. D

Athearn fast starting characteristics.

Hi! My fast starting problem is like most everybodys with athearn blue box. I've hard wired th motor, worked over the gearboxes by shaving edges of gears, used turtle wax, dress the motor commutator. Got the gear boxes to free-roll down about a 10% slope. (both with a 2-axle and 3- axle...
  14. D

locomotive cab sunshades

Hi,all. just FYI, I occasionally have trouble keeping sunshades attached to the side of the cab from the effect of running or handling.. I drill 2 holes in the side of the cab, just above the window, but low enough to attach sunshade for proper appearance. drill about 3/8 in apart, 0135 or...
  15. D

Deforming a gondola car

I have recently purchased a Atlas master line gondola car. I would like to know a good (safe) way to deform the sides outward slightly to simulate wear, or to make it sag slightly. Thank you.......Dale.

Back