Search results

1. P

HO Model RR ROOKIE

There is some sort of strange mystical attraction between joists and turnout switch machine locations I have yet to really understand but it is clear to me that if you want a switch machine, the odds are that there is a joist that will have to move. I suspect the next big breakthrough will be...
  2. P

HO Model RR ROOKIE

I agree that you don't need foam everywhere. I use an open grid where 1x4's are on edge and homosote is laid down on top of it, sometimes big pieces, sometimes narrow strips. You will have a lot of trouble putting track nails straight into plywood. The support structure has a bunch of holes pre...
  3. P

HO Model RR ROOKIE

You've gotten a lot of good answers here. Since you're new at it, I would suggest not gluing down your corkroad bed just yet, but do use it since it's really noisy and unrealistic without it. Use track nails on it for now since it's quite likely you are going to have a change of heart on the...
  4. P

rolling stock metal or plastic wheels

Width of the wheelsets is indeed an issue. I had to return a bulk pack of metal wheels that simply kept falling out of the trucks. I came to the decision that as expensive as it was going to be, the whole truck, wheels and all needed to go. There just was no real finality in mounting metal...
  5. P

How did you pick your handle?

My sweetie tells me it was what used to work to get me to come up out of the basement before all that short term memory loss. She says that "hey you" works about as well now and maybe even better. She's pretty sure that she's going to find a skeleton down there eventually.
  6. P

Model Train as an Urn?

Having made a fair number of reliqueries for friends who have passed away out of blown glass, I would suggest that you not try to put all the ashes in a freight car. I would suggest a small amount, perhaps a few tablespoons that can be contained a bit more easily. Unless they're well sealed...
  7. P

altas lh turnout has been delivered

It would be great if it's no longer the policy on Amtrak to not have prepared meals. I took the Zephyr on the very last day they were going to use the dining car anymore and that must have been 2006. When I was a kid and took the real zeyphr and the Superchief I have great memories of the thick...
  8. P

just an idea.

*********** Well, tongue in cheek, I think thats the main reason lawyers make money
  9. P

just an idea.

I use USPS Priority mail more these days but even the large box is pretty small. It works on small stuff of which much train stuff is ( awkward sentence ends here). The boxes are small and well made, resisting breakage quite well. Our latest venture had us shipping to Hong Kong. That being...
  10. P

just an idea.

Well, I don't believe there is a current stucture to handle funds for anyone and if there is some sort of dispute, I view that as a problem. I don't know what it takes to get paypal involved in managing payments. I do know I don't keep a paypal accout, preferring to simply use my visa/ MC in...
  11. P

Compartments are pretty expensive on Amtrak. I lost the charm of it when they stopped having dining car service on the Cal Zephyr out of Denver some years back. Somehow microwaved cheeseburgers did not inspire me. I don't know how long that trip is to W. Springfield for you. The lakeshore used...
  12. P

What do people do to strip factory paint ?

I'll try that with my pressure pot. I have a nozzle the size of a pencil for fine work on glass. We make photo stencils for some of our glasswork that take really low pressures or they get blown off the item. It really leaves a clean impression line though.
  13. P

just an idea.

Perfectly understandable rant. I think that just putting a fair price on things in the first place here should be sufficient. If it's fair, it will sell, if it isn't the market tends to vote with its feet. I have never sold on ebay and do have some things I'd like to sell off like really old...
  14. P

just an idea.

It might indeeed be fun but the question is what happens when it's distinctly not fun. Ebay, for what it's worth lays out rules and structures. It's fraught with peril and satisfaction at the same time. Your LHS is not but you may not get the products you want. I'm not trying to be critical of...
  15. P

just an idea.

It seems to me to be a whole new can of worms that may cause a lot of regret. I read a post on ebay yesterday where the guy selling the stuff said essentially that everything on ebay would wind up never being built and would all wind up in estate sales which was yet a new way to say "I have no...
  16. P

What do people do to strip factory paint ?

Is that on a siphon feed carey? It seems pretty strong for a pressure pot.
  17. P

well, just get there any way you can. You'll love it.
  18. P

Amtrak out of rochester would certainly get you there and I think amtrak stops there on the way to Boston. People come from far and wide to do that show. Wives that don't like trains can make it a lot harder. If it's just your love affair with trains , make it on your own. My family just rolls...
  19. P

Given you are in New York, you should make the pilgrimage to West Springfield Mass next year for the Amherst show at the BIG E grounds. It is billed as the biggest show in the US and that seems plausible. It really has pretty much anything you could imagine in multiple buildings that cover at...
  20. P

Pulling The Trigger

Once you've torn out a fully functioning helix there won't be a lot of actions that will intimidate you.

Back