Search results

1. 2002p51

Southern Pacific Coast Line in HO

There, now it's finished! :)
  2. 2002p51

The other day I was cruising around on that internet thing when I came across this photo from railpictures.net It's Southern Pacific's yard in West Colton, CA. I saw that little structure there and knew I had to build it for my yard. I have no idea what it's for. It's too small to be the yard...
  3. 2002p51

I'm starting to get a better picture of what I might do with all the real estate that I have now since I decided to add scenery to the large return loop/staging tracks in the back. Here's a mock up of one possibility. Sort of a suburban residential/business street. This is a very rough draft if...
  4. 2002p51

I saved myself $30.00 today. I wanted to put a passenger platform on the opposite side of the tracks from the station. I was looking at the one Walther's has and I was looking at the price. Took a good look at the photo and thought, "Well, that looks pretty simple." So after some Evergreen...
  5. 2002p51

No work today, just wanted to run some trains. Here a cab forward rolls a manifest freight past the beet loader in San Ardo, CA.
  6. 2002p51

I hope you're right. :)
  7. 2002p51

I put up some backdrops today. Still not sure what I'm going to do for scenery in this area. Here is the Coast Mail stopping at . . . ? Well, I don't know where this is yet! :)
  8. 2002p51

Yep, I knew the cable should be vertical. I glued the beam to the fulcrum a little too far back and it's too late to fix it. Thanks for the kind words about the truck. I've spent a lot of time looking at the San Ardo oil field on Google satellite view and there seems to be piping running all...
  9. 2002p51

Haven't made much progress the last few days. Just lots of other stuff needing to get done. I did fix up this truck. It's a Mini Metals '55 Chevy stake bed truck. I cut the stake bed off and scratch built the dump bed out of Evergreen styrene. And I went ahead and popped for Walthers $30.00...
  10. 2002p51

Just a little more scenery progress.
  11. 2002p51

Update on San Ardo. If you look up the page a little where I posted the photo of the tentative plan for San Ardo you'll see I was thinking about representing the town with a couple houses, etc. Not going to happen. Just wasn't enough room there to make it look right. Then I realized it would've...
  12. 2002p51

This is a California Tank House. They were a common site in citrus orchards in California from the 1920's into the '40's. They were mostly gone by the late '50's early '60's that my layout is set in but ever since I saw the plans for one in an article in the September 2018 issue of Model...
  13. 2002p51

Yea, I knew the oil field was south of the town. I've been cruising Google maps and street view a lot. But I figured since I'm moving San Ardo about 100 miles from where it should be, it's no problem to move the oil field a couple miles to just across the tracks ! :)
  14. 2002p51

Here's a preliminary mock up of the town of San Ardo, California. The two story building will be a general store/gas station. I need to work a street in there somehow. May not have room for the appropriate yards for those houses. Nothing set yet. The spur is long enough to get 6 cars under...
  15. 2002p51

Thanks for that, very useful information.
  16. 2002p51

Way back in post #58 I showed this photo: This building is a Walthers kit built straight out of the box with signage I made on my computer. A few months ago I bought this truck on eBay: On a hunch I started a search on Google Images and came up with this: Well, that was all I needed to...
  17. 2002p51

Looks better with a little paint on it. :)
  18. 2002p51

That's awesome. In my research I was looking at Betteravia on Google Maps and Google Street View and, even though the plant has been abandoned, those two big siloes, or whatever they are, are still there. Nice job. Hope you'll show us more as you get it finished.
  19. 2002p51

Back in post #135 I showed you photos of the staging/return loop. The plan was to not do scenery or anything back there. It was supposed to be "off site". Well, so much for that plan. One of the things missing from my layout was any excuse to run the iconic sugar beet trains. I've got three...
  20. 2002p51

True to form, it's been 6 or 7 months since my last post and I didn't do anything in the basement all summer. I did get in some basic ground cover scenery on the Santa Cruz and Davenport side.

Back