Search results

1. T

Onboard video of my club's N scale layout

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ynt-ecY2dM My Burlington Northern freight, 30-40 cars from memory, goes through a reversing loop then chases another mixed freight along the mainline for a full circuit. Keep an eye on the mountainside a little bit after the 6min mark. The layout is still a...
  2. T

A short Micro-Trains documentary

I had this linked to me elsewhere and thought I'd share it here. It's a documentary on Micro-Trains and details the steps they go though when producing rolling stock. Well worth viewing! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejMbatOekTg
  3. T

N scale rolling stock storage project

With my joining a club recently it's become increasingly obvious that moving all my rolling stock to & from individual jewel cases every week is a massive pain in the arse. As you may be aware it seems that people who design carry cases for model trains only bother with HO. I did find an ebay...
  4. T

NCE PowerCab -> Digitrax <insert name here>, what do I need to know?

I've just joined what looks to be a great MRR club, but unfortunately they use Digitrax and I have a PowerCab. Right off the bat I will say that I find the Digitrax way of doing things overly complex compared to NCE, however despite my feelings on the matter I think it might be for the best if I...
  5. T

Wpf 3/15 -> 3/21

I'll get things started this week with some onboard video I took at an expo last weekend. This is from a T-Trak (N scale) layout assembled for the expo by a few members of a Yahoo group, that is to say I take zero credit for their modelling skills. Sadly the clearances were such that I had to...
  6. T

Weekly Photo Fun! 1/19 -> 1/25

Here you go, Rico. ;) Nothing really to show here apart from my baseboard work, which already has a thread. :D While gathering supplies yesterday though I picked up some orange paints for my plan to tigerstripe an F45. I haven't changed my layout to a LotR setting, I just bought these at...
  7. T

Pete's Layout - Burlington Northern RR, Mt Jones Subdivision

Well, after an entire year of changed minds and twiddled thumbs it is finally time - layout construction starts TONIGHT! :eek: Here's the current and probably final revision of my layout- Not shown are snow sheds on the helixes, possibly a few short tunnels there as well, and...
  8. T

Layout Control Panel Preferences

After some recent posts in Cmaceeepc's layout thread I thought it would be interesting to see what people are using for their layout control (as in turnouts, detection, etc, not for controlling trains). To quote myself- I'm sure size comes into the equation as well. A physical control panel...
  9. T

Lighting Adjustments N Atlas GP30

I just put a decoder into the GP30 I got for Christmas and realised that Atlas took a shortcut on the lighting. The CB&Q GP30s had nose-mounted headlights, which have been included, but the ones on the cab roof are still the ones that are lit. The prototype has these as well, but I can't find a...
  10. T

Issue w/ NCE PowerCab & Manual Notching

I've set up manual notching on some F45s w/ Tsunami sound that I acquired recently, works great. With the PowerCab you have to double-press the function key to notch the engine up/down once which I can live with, but I'm having issues when the trains are in a consist. Using DecoderPro I set the...
  11. T

Wpf! 7/28 - 8/3

Guess I'll get things rolling this week! My roster of high short hoods has increased with the acquisition of some GN Geeps. I'd love to see some others, especially non-prototypical custom jobs. :D
  12. T

Who says tight curves are only for modelling?

We all know the saying "there's a prototype for everything", and here's some proof that it's not just our model railways that have sharp turns. Oa1YgTGq2ZM I took this on my commute home today from the first of a 6 car suburban EMU. This is the sharpest railway curve in Melbourne, and...
  13. T

Weekly Photo Fun! 6/15 - 6/21

Looks like I get to do the honours this week :) To get us started here's some pics I took recently of a common site in Melbourne, the N class diesels. Here's another in a different (older I think) livery. I've been trying for the last week or so to record a 7-car DMU rural...
  14. T

[GUIDE] Coupler Change on N Kato SD45 & C30-7 (& Probably Others)

When I reviewed these locos I pointed out that the coupler shanks are waaaaaaay too long and the cause of much discussion online. Let's have a looksie! Notice how massive that shank is compared to the one on the SD24, even considering the larger pilot. Now look at the gap between the SD45...
  15. T

Running Other People's Trains

I was watching model train videos on Youtube the other day (not for hours or anything...*cough*) and at some point during this activity I thought about how great it would be to run trains on these layouts myself. Given the ease of controlling a DCC layout with a PC these days I figured it's...
  16. T

Help Choosing New Train

So my brother has said he'll buy me a new loco for my birthday just gone. :D Looking online I've narrowed my selection down to a GN SD-45 in Big Sky Blue or a BN C30-7, both Kato. The SD-45 has the appeal of being one of the few models produced in Big Sky Blue, but on the other hand there's no...
  17. T

HELL HAS FROZEN OVER!! Athearn Rereleasing N Challenger & Big Boy

I think this warrants a thread of it's own and I haven't seen one yet, so here we are. Athearn have recently added these on the website for a September/October 2012 release. Gentleman, start your credit cards! Well, I won't be seeing as I got a Challenger off ebay somewhat recently, and for a...
  18. T

Darwin Awards Candidate

Here's one from Down Under, happened Friday afternoon. What isn't mentioned in the article is that the track in the direction the train was coming from is perfectly straight for over 2km. Even when not in service these trains don't go all that fast, maybe 80km/h tops, and they usually slow...
  19. T

Taking lessons from BlackZ28...

My latest aquisition, N scale Athearn Challenger UP #3985 :D Zz9rltuJKjs It's a real piece of work, fantastic sounds and running. Athearn articulated both engines so it even goes around 11" curves. :eek: My first Ebayers Anonymous meeting is this Friday. :D
  20. T

Help purchasing from US Ebay

I know this is a long shot but I figure I'd ask anyway. Occasionally I will find someone I really want on ebay, such as Empire Builder cars or (just recently) an Athearn N Challenger. These items go for ridiculous prices simply because the majority of the auctions on the US site don't ship to...

Back