Search results

1. BRS Hobbies

HO roadbed track and power packs

Steve, As far as the power pack, I suggest looking into the MRC Tech 6 Sound Controller 2.0 which will function as a regular DC power pack with the ability to set the start voltage, momentum and, top voltage. You can also run in DCC mode which will allows you to control one DCC equipped...
  2. BRS Hobbies

Anyone know where to get some O scale baseball players?

Anyone know where to get some O scale baseball players? Looking for some to fill a baseball field. Best regards, Brian
  3. BRS Hobbies

Coupler Compatibility/ Starter Advice

A lot of good advise in this thread. One thing to note is that some of the information from the Kadee website isn't completely up to date so it may apply to older versions of the same products. For example, Mantua passenger rolling stock previously came with metal trucks and now comes with...
  4. BRS Hobbies

DCC vs. DCC ready

If you plan on going with DCC (either now or sometime in the future), then it would be best to get either a DCC or a DCC Ready locomotive(s). As mentioned DCC Ready, means that the locomotive is ready for a plug and play DCC decoder. If the locomotive isn't DCC Ready, then you may have to...
  5. BRS Hobbies

Uninstall DCC

Stone, Thanks for the information. Digitrax has made a DH83FX and a DH140 decoder. If you remove the shell, you should be able to determine which decoder is installed in your locomotive based on the information printed on it. If the decoder does support DC (analog) operation, the locomotive...
  6. BRS Hobbies

Uninstall DCC

Stone, Can you find a model number on the Digitrax decoder? Not sure if it is the case, but some decoders like those from NCE, need a CV change to put the decoder in dual mode if the decoder supports analog DC. Best regards, Brian
  7. BRS Hobbies

Uninstall DCC

Stone, Please let us know which Kato locomotive that you purchased. We can then let you know if it will also run in DC. Best regards, Brian
  8. BRS Hobbies

DCC Track Requirements

You can mix nickel silver and brass rail without any problems as long as the track is in a cool, dry environment. Brass can oxidize rapidly in a warm, humid environment. Brass oxide doesn't conduct electricity so it is important to consider the track environment before deciding on using brass...
  9. BRS Hobbies

DCC Track Requirements

If possible, it would be best to use nickel silver rail track for DCC. Steel rail track may work but it will require more track maintenance. Best regards, Brian
  10. BRS Hobbies

Kato SD40-2 Issues

One thing to keep in mind with the programming track is that normally there is no power on the programming track until you enter the programming mode and input data. You might find some information to help solve your problem at this link - Prodigy Tips and Tricks Best regards, Brian
  11. BRS Hobbies

Our little HO 4X8....

The track looks great! How do you like the nickel silver EZ track compared to the old track? Best regards, Brian
  12. BRS Hobbies

Can any DCC throttle be used as a straight DC throttle?

It sounds like you may have been referencing the wrong product. Try looking again at either the MRC Tech 6 Sound Controller 2.0 or the MRC Tech 6 Sound Controller 6.0. Both products will work either in DC mode or a light version of DCC for controlling up to 6 locomotives at once with full 28...
  13. BRS Hobbies

Rapido FP9A - anyone got one yet?

Thanks for the update. Sounds like Rapido hit a home run with the FP9A. How was the packaging on the locomotive? I heard that Rapido improved the packaging so I am interested to hear your feedback. Best regards, Brian
  14. BRS Hobbies

Wiring a Tortoise with a DT-2/FL-2?

Kevin, You can use a Circuitron ER-2 connected to the output of the DT-2. The ER-2 will drive the Tortoise switch machine to lower and then raise the crossing gates. We have the ER-2 in stock in case you need a source for the item. Best regards, Brian
  15. BRS Hobbies

What scale should I go with?

N scale is an emerging scale with a lot manufacturers bringing out improved detail and performance products in this scale. With that being said, HO scale is still a very good option given that the larger size does bring slightly better detail and the product availability for HO scale is the...
  16. BRS Hobbies

Can I Uses my Prodigy Express to Control My Atlas Switches??

The #1411 is for adding another throttle to the MRC Prodigy Wireless DCC System. From what I understand, Night Train purchased the #1412 Prodigy DCC Wireless Controller & Conversion Kit for his existing MRC Prodigy Express System. The #1415 Prodigy Advanced Squared Handheld will work fine...
  17. BRS Hobbies

Anybody have experience using Digitrax stationary decoders with the Prodigy Wireless?

They are compatible. As long as the stationary decoder is DCC compliant than it can be programmed and used with the MRC Prodigy Express. MRC also offers an accessory decoder (#1628) which is made to control switch machines. Best regards, Brian
  18. BRS Hobbies

Power for turnouts etc with DCC?

Since you have a Kato DC power pack, it would be the easiest option since the turnout control switches just snap to the side of the power pack which provides power to each turnout. Best regards, Brian
  19. BRS Hobbies

Can I Uses my Prodigy Express to Control My Atlas Switches??

I talked to Frank who is a tech at MRC and here is what he said about the upgrade path for the Prodigy Express. 1) All the newer Prodigy Express systems come with the Advanced A2 software. MRC has instructions to check to see if you have the latest software. The only thing is that you will...
  20. BRS Hobbies

Unitrack rewire

I would do as flyboy2610 suggested, using the switches to turn off the power to the unused locomotives in the roundhouse before adding a booster. You should be able to run 2 DCC w/ sound locomotives without tripping the NCE power cab short circuit protection so the problems that you are having...

Back