Search results

1. N

How to construct a fun operating yard

I had g scale as a child and growing up. I like the bigger stuff. It is also easier to build stuff for it like bridges and other scenery. It is also way more forgiving. In N scale any little bump and the train comes off the track or if the rail has gaps or is not exact the train easily derails...
  2. N

Ideally, I wanted a way to change out the engine. I figured with my space restrictions that a train engine yard would give me a lot of fun being able to swap out engines. Plus with engines there are ways to decouple the engine from the train when it is on the track without me having to use my...
  3. N

It is the middle of the main line. I would go off the side. On a more serious note I have a lot of vertical space. Does anyone make a g scale train elevator? Like a 4 foot long straight section that can go up and down?
  4. N

How to start a G Scale outside layout?

Personally I would never put a layout outside anywhere where there is freezing weather. I have seen neighbors who have to constantly relay their track and fix it because the ground moves. It can get frustrating for many people. Also you have to keep up with the weeds and other plants that...
  5. N

I have a space of roughly 3 to 4 feet by 9 to 12 feet that I can construct a railyard in. The scale is G scale. Anyone out there can suggest or provide some help with this? I have thought about a turn table, and many other ideas for just being able to switch out engines, or a few cars. Any...
  6. N

Need some help

Does anyone know of a company or person who makes multi scale track? By this I mean track that will allow for the operation of more than one scale such as HO and N scale? It does not bother me if the track has multiple rails, I just want to be able to run many different sizes on the same track.
  7. N

Modeling the Cuban Railroad

After some long time thinking, I got to realizing that the best area of the world that fits my tastes for model railroading is Cuba. I came to this decision upon the following realizations: 1. There is no where else on earth where Steam Engines and Diesel Engines actually run side by side up to...
  8. N

Most complex track plan?

I like that Wye, that is very interesting, I have never seen on like that, but I can see how it saves some space length wise as you have two tails at angles instead of one at 90. Where is that located at?
  9. N

Is Model Railroading getting out of hand with things

Prices are going up because supply is dropping. It is simple economics. Supply is dropping, as in other manufacturers going out of business because less and less people are getting into the hobby. Even in the Chicago area there is about 2 or 3 hobby shops. That is pretty sad when you think...
  10. N

How do you wire this for DCC?

How would I wire this for DCC?
  11. N

Most complex track plan?

That cross over through the turnout is cool. I do not have the skills to make something like that, but I could see that coming in handy on a tight layout.
  12. N

Most complex track plan?

I am interested to know what is the most complex track plan for a model railroad? I am asking, because I am trying to get more ideas on how to use turnouts and level crossovers/junctions together to create interesting and space saving elements. I know of the Wye, double cross over, two single...
  13. N

First try with JMRI and Digitrax

I never change the default CV values in my decoders except for the loco number, and that can still be done at my Digitrax Zephyr Command Center (DCS51). Same goes with the CV values if I really wanted to change them. What I am modeling and the time frame excludes the usage of a signal system...
  14. N

First try with JMRI and Digitrax

Today I finally got my "PR3XTRA SoundFX USB Decoder Programmer". Now I did not feel like purchasing a brand new touch screen computer to try this out with as I had my doubts if I could get it to work. Anyhow I had an old Acer Netbook laying around that I got from 2009. It came with Windows XP...
  15. N

How much straight away on an S curve?

Thanks for the explanation.
  16. N

How much straight away on an S curve?

What is wrong with an "S" curve? No one has really explained why it wrong. At most I can gather that it might not look realistic, but for running the train it should be fine. With both Unitrack and Bachmann Ez track, I have played with "S curves" and have had no problems.
  17. N

Need a Layout Design - I cannot design it myself so I really need some help.

I had a hard time designing a layout, until I looked at real life examples on Google map. Besides that, I use snap together track like KATO or Bachmann, so if I want to change it and make it better I can. For a permanent layout that is tougher. However you could use snap together track and...
  18. N

DCC my new adventure

Not sure if I am too late in this response or not. I would skip the old fashion transformer idea/set up and go directly with computer integration using JMRI. I am in the process of converting my entire setup to this type of configuration. Today with touch screen computers, and being able to...
  19. N

Peco Narrow Gauge Question

Anyhow I went ahead and purchased one of their narrow gauge O16.5 gauge locomotive kits as well as the engine necessary to make it run. I have never tried building an engine from a kit, but figured that I would give it a try. If I get the engine to turn out good, I will be getting their...
  20. N

Is HO or N better with DCC?

Of course you could get the best both worlds, and model HO narrow gauge. I am not sure how much is out there on the market, but it would give you a bigger train size on the N scale track.

Back