Search results

1. bn-1000

Some questions about signalling please.

I plan to run the signals off the Tortoise motor switches. Two. At the end of each mainline to give the illusion that my module is one block. Dual mainline. Ah, okay thanks. I was misunderstanding the concept of a searchlight. I had always thought they were a simple red on/off only...
  2. bn-1000

Some questions about signalling please.

Hi all, I am in the construction phase of a long switching layout which has a dual mainline running through it from one end to the other. Off this dual mainline are two industries and a small classification yard. At each end of the mainline I think it's appropriate to add some form of...
  3. bn-1000

Small switching layout - need some inspiration (and advice)

I have an old timber module left over from a previous layout which was dismantled and rebuilt elsewhere. The module measures 5 foot x 16 inches with a backdrop on each and and the rear. The backdrop is 400 high with a partly completed valance and wiring for an overhead lighting system (a series...
  4. bn-1000

Another WTH Ebay Moment

Many Amazon sellers will not ship outside the US, so eBay is my preferred buying method. With now reaching 1000 purchases I can confidently say I have had 4 items that never arrived to me in Australia and all four sellers sent replacement items (which did arrive) without any hesitation of issue...
  5. bn-1000

Track Bed Foam vs Cork

Well, I have decided to use foam for my roadbed and here in Australia we have a moulded product called TrackRite. See Here: http://www.gosfordhobbies.com.au/shop/product.php?productid=5919 It works out at about $30 for 10 metres. Okay it's not the best value product but it is easy to use...
  6. bn-1000

What size turnouts for a yard?

Thanks all. Some great responses there. I'm going #6 for the yard and a #7 off the mainline. fcwilt, you're correct in saying it's a real trade-off between space and appearance. My layout measures 11 foot long x 18 inches deep. I'll post the schematic in a new thread shortly.
  7. bn-1000

Thanks for your quick replies, guys. I should have disclosed my rolling stock types. For locos I have 3 MP15-DC switchers, a couple of GP40's (mainly to bring in the occasional short line cut). In regards to freight most are 50' boxcars and some of the 17,500G corn syrup tankers. I will be...
  8. bn-1000

Okay I know this can be an open-ended question to some but I am ready to lay down my first track work in my switching yard. I have always assumed #6 is what I'd be using but I'm thinking #7 might look a little more realistic. Is there much difference visually between these sizes for a small...
  9. bn-1000

An easy to build tool to make corrugated metal.

Well done on a great little invention. :) I could have used a device like this 20 years ago but these days I don't have the need to produce corro iron roofing sheets.
  10. bn-1000

Realistic Switches

Yes unfortunately you are looking at a different range. Here is a link to a UK forum where the comparisons are made: http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=980&hl=tillig+elite
  11. bn-1000

Realistic Switches

I can vouch for Tillig Elite HO code 83 series. I am using them in my switching layout and I like the detail and the fact that there is no blade 'hinge' the blades are all one piece.
  12. bn-1000

Another WTH Ebay Moment

Hi Timothy, No, I certainly didn't take your post that way. ;)
  13. bn-1000

Another WTH Ebay Moment

I have purchased many hundreds (perhaps over 1k$) from the Prantles from here in Australia an I have always found them to be 100% reliable and honorable. I too can only assume this is typo. Send them a message and let them know, they may not have realized it. Cheers,
  14. bn-1000

HO Scale automobiles

Thanks for all your replies, you have been extremely helpful. Jim I take your point regarding that a few muscle cars wouldn't look out of place. In Australia we are also a driving nation and we love our motoring history, so to see a nicely restored muscle car pull up at the lights, or pass you...
  15. bn-1000

HO Scale automobiles

I'm starting to look for some HO scale diecast cars for my layout and there seems to be a lot of 1960's (Chevvies, Mustangs etc.) and late models from the 2000 and later (Beemers, Mercs etc.) None of these really suit my early 1990's period. I'm after some suggestions on where I can find some...
  16. bn-1000

Pikestuff Enginehouse kit question

Hi Stephen, Sincerely sorry for the late reply. No I have had to put the new layout on hold whilst we move house. Regards, Stephen
  17. bn-1000

Just started work on my layout

I do like your construction technique utilised in the framework. Completely over the top and over engineered. Something like I would do (and have done :) ) Your videos are great, compliments to you. I will admit the straight, square design of the track work is a little uniform to me. Have you...
  18. bn-1000

48' Well Cars

I had the opportunity to run the 40' well cars on a mate's layout behind an Atlas BN GP-40 tonight and boy did they look impressive. Very happy with them!!! Time to buy some more TTX's and more 40' containers!
  19. bn-1000

My advice would be to drop feeders from the track as you are laying it onto the trackbed. Don't let the electrical work hold up your track laying work. That would be the order in which I'd do it. If you end up dropping too many track feeders and you end up not using some feeders, then there is...
  20. bn-1000

Nucular, No problem at all, mate. You've made your decision and you're ready to run with, and all the best! FYI I also like the big old fashion rotary knob and pushing buttons was a bit foreign to me at first. Luckily NCE has a CAB Throttle hand controller with a big ugly knob on the front and...

Back