Search results

1. W

Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLIV

Joe, What DCC auto reverse unit are you using? Glenn
  2. W

New to Model Railroad My first N scale layout

There are special automatic reversing units that work with DCC to make reverse loops easy with DCC. The trick on your plan is to find a way to make the reversing section longer than your longest train because your train can not be going in and out of the reversing section at the same time. Do...
  3. W

Old west layout, need advice, size 2' x 4'

Bachmann sells some mid-1860's equipment. The 4-4-0 doesn't have the best reputation for good running. Atlas has brought in a 4-4-0 that is on the modern side for your period. Also check the Athearn line for passenger, box, refrigerator, and stock cars. Musket Minatures sells western...
  4. W

Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLIII

Matt- sorry to hear of your loss!
  5. W

The Tennessee, Alabama & Georgia RR (take 5)

The northern 20 or 30 miles of the TAG still exist as a shortline running south from Chattanooga. TVRM has used the line for excursions. I have pictures of the 2 TAG GP7s may have been GP9's. I don't think I ever say the GP18. I have number of on line pictures as well. Glenn
  6. W

The Tennessee, Alabama & Georgia RR (take 5)

How much of the TAG do you plan to model? I railfanned the TAG from Gadsden to Chattanooga before the line shutdown. Keep posting your progress. Glenn
  7. W

Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLII

Garry, You are welcome to come on down to the coast to my ops session on the 9th. Bring Carey, he knows the way. Glenn
  8. W

Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLII

Garry, I haven't seen Carey on in awhile. I think he said he was due for a treatment the last time he posted. Treatments usually put him down for a couple of weeks. Glenn
  9. W

Power Needs for Complex Layouts

John, You didn't say how many trains you would be trying to run. One power pack should be sufficient if you are only trying to run one train. You would need to add some additional feeders aournd the layout in any areas where the train runs slowly or not at all. Also be careful of creating a...
  10. W

Coffee Shop XLI-2/23/2014

Get well soon Jeff! You are missed! I'm glad Jeff is doing as well as can be expected. I really miss his posts. Glenn
  11. W

Microtrains Couplers - What do you do when they come apart?

Kevin, Kitbuilding or repairing MT couplers takes patience and some spare parts. 30 years ago, I could build a package of couplers and have springs left over. Today, I'm not so good. The good news is you should be able to buy a pack of springs and fix the couplers. It sounds like the...
  12. W

N Scale Athearn UP 4-8-8-0

I have a friend with one, he runs it on local trains during my ops sessions. Runs through Atlas code 55 #5 turnouts. It should handle your 16" curves as well. The only issue I have with my friends engine is that he is hard of hearing and the sound is waaaaaaaay tooooo loud. It doesn't...
  13. W

Newest Kato Trolley Conversin

Nice! Glenn
  14. W

Atlas Code 55 turn-out shortage?!?

I don' t have any of the code 55 Peco turnouts, but I understand the rail has a different profile than the Atlas rail. I understand there is some difficulty in connecting Atlas/ME to Peco in code 55. Glenn
  15. W

Coffee Shop XL-12/8/2013

Good Morning from Mobile where it is 17F and sunny. Headed for a high near 50F. The great ice storm of 2014 should be over today. Off work again today, but will have to go in tomorrow. Wonder if they will make us work Sat to make up for some of the lost time? My driveway and the street in...
  16. W

Coffee Shop XL-12/8/2013

Good Morning from the frozen south! 21F in Mobile, AL this morning with a wind chill of 8F. Roads and sidewalks are a sheet of ice. The high temperature today is suppose to be 31F. According to the local tV channel, there are some ID10T's out trying to drive on it. The conditions here are...
  17. W

Coffee Shop XL-12/8/2013

The situation is getting interesting here in Mobile. The I-10 bridges across Mobile Bay are covered with ice. I called the weather line at work and found out I don't have to go in tomorrow. There is about a 1/4" of ice on my sidewalk and the freezing rain/sleet is still coming down. The...
  18. W

Coffee Shop XL-12/8/2013

Mikey, At least your drive home is relatively flat Glenn
  19. W

Coffee Shop XL-12/8/2013

It was 32 this morning when I left for work at 5:30. They closed w*ork at 11am. I had to scrap ice off the windows before I could drive home. The roads were clear and some of the bridges had been sanded. It is now 28. The weather guessers have used the "S" word. I may have to go locate my...

Back