Search results

1. siderod

Bachmann HO 3 Truck Shay Bevel gears again

Don't know if you've found him yet or not but the shayfixer.com repairs Bachmann Shay bevel gears with NWSL metal gear replacements. Guys name is Phil and he's a heck of a nice guy.
  2. siderod

Greg, I can't shout loud enough! Get NWSL metal gear replacements for your Shay. Sooner or later the stock plastic gears will start to fail. Having visited with NWSL and, of course, their current supply of these replacement gears will dry up and they may never offer them again. The problem...
  3. siderod

Hello, We've all been plagued with the bevel gears breaking or disintegrating on both Bachmann Shay's and Climaxes. I have tried a number of "fixes" which all seemed to end in disaster. However, there is one fix that did work for me and I have attached a link (at the bottom). There are a few...
  4. siderod

Stay Alive and QSI

I've got a P2K Heritage 0-6-0 steamer that has a factory installed QSI sound decoder and an upgrade chip installed. While I love running this little critter it has a tendency to stall over turnout frogs and crossings. Now that TCS has two different styles of Stay Alive's I'm tempted to screw up...
  5. siderod

P2K GP20 Light Bar Removal

I've got an older P2K GP20 that I'd like to put sound in and on this particular application I'm going to have to pull both the front/rear light bars out and modify them. I'm wondering if anybody out there has had any experience removing these from one of these critters? I'd rather not break...
  6. siderod

Bachmann S4 shell removal procedure question

Many thanks to cfinn, cj and Matt for all the input. I have now successfully removed the shell from the chassis and nothing ended up shattered, cracked, chipped, split or stressed...not even me. I have said it before and I'll say it again, this forum is one of the most helpful forums I've ever...
  7. siderod

Gotcha. Always good to know. Thanks for the info.
  8. siderod

Which decoder?

DCC ready.
  9. siderod

Which decoder?

I'm back again. In a previous thread in this category I presented a question about how to safely remove a Bachmann S4 locomotive shell and I got some good help. Now this thread is kind of an addendum to the original. I would like to install a Soundtraxx four function mobile decoder in the...
  10. siderod

QSI"Stationary" Sound Decoder?

Ah ha! Now that has merit. Didn't occur to me. That gives me all the more reason to install the resistor. I would want to be able to read CV's back from this decoder. Good call. Although I am no electronic engineer, it seems to me years and years ago either reading or hearing someplace...
  11. siderod

Wow! You are the go to guy Cj. Just the information I needed. If Digitrax stuck them in there for motor load compensation then, if for no other reason than insurance, I'll do the same. Found 5 for 3 bucks on eBay so here we go. I am in your debt Cj. You have been most helpful and I...
  12. siderod

Cj, your all over this forum. I swear, I could have stayed in the DCC electronic category and you still would have found this thread, huh. My guess is your right about the shell prying off of the chassis. I'm a bit gun shy as I once destroyed a shell trying to pry it off when there was more...
  13. siderod

Although I have never owned a Bachmann locomotive before I thought it was time to give one a try with all the good publicity they have been getting. Besides I've been dying to get an S4 in ATSF Zebra stripe.. Well, wouldn't you know I found someone selling both a Zebra with sound and without...
  14. siderod

Gotta tell ya guys, I really like this forum. I put up this thread tonight and already I've gotten some good response. That tells me it is an interactive forum with a lot of guys scanning it and ready to help. I had this same thread plus another up in a different forum that shall remain...
  15. siderod

Your right, it wouldn't hurt. But the problem is I don't know how to determine what wattage size resistor or what ohm to use.:rolleyes:
  16. siderod

Oh, I'll let you know how it works out Rico. In the meantime, if you smell an electrical burn you'll know I fried it. I've got to go out on assignment for a couple of weeks before I can get to it but I'll put a post up and let you know what happens.
  17. siderod

If it worked for you I should imagine it'll work for me. Appreciate the input.
  18. siderod

I have in my possession a first generation QSI sound decoder without an upgrade chip that I would like to use as a stationary decoder mounted underneath the table and used for background sounds. My question is, does anybody know if I need to put a load, like a resistor across the motor leads on...
  19. siderod

An Atlas Mystery

Now that's what I'm talking about. Your link is exactly what I was looking for. You guys know everything and I don't know nothin'. Really appreciate you taking the time to reply and sending the link.
  20. siderod

An Atlas Mystery

This is an RS1. It has molded on grabs and what looks like molded on coupler lift bars. That's it. Just reminds me of an old Atlas/Kato shell that's riding on a frame and drive mechanism made in China. And that's probably exactly what it is. I didn't know Atlas did that. Thanks for your reply.

Back