Search results

1. Jim 68cuda

Walthers decal issues

I had the same experience with the decals included in a new Walthers kit. I too used Micro-sol. The decals didn't want to stick. I ended up doing a water and white glue mixture and brushing it over the decals and under the edges that peeled up. That was the only way I could get them to stick. I...
  2. Jim 68cuda

Z Scale?

I'm HO all the way too. But I keep running across Franklin Mint Z scale layouts inspired by Norman Rockwell paintings (winter and summer layout themes). They look like they would be perfect to build a coffee table around. The winter one shown is currently on Facebook Marketplace for $800 in...
  3. Jim 68cuda

My Experience With Sheet Cork

I've had the issue of buckling with the track attached to the foam with double sided carpet tape. I concluded that the foam itself shrank to some degree over time (years) as some plastic streets and sidewalks did the same thing. But, in your case, perhaps the cork you're using absorbed moisture...
  4. Jim 68cuda

Whitecourt Mimicry in HO

Your garage reminded me of the single car garage that was off the alley at a duplex my parents once owned in Washington, D.C. The house and garage were built in the early part of the twentieth century. The garage was quite small. My 16' long Barracuda barely fit in and it was very tight getting...
  5. Jim 68cuda

Who makes American style HO crossing gates?

Looks like a trip to Target could possibly score a few HO (or close to HO) crossing gates (non-operating) as part of the Jada "Nano Scene" series "Fast and Furious" diorama. Apparently the set includes extra unbroken crossing gates that can be used to replace the "broken" ones in the display...
  6. Jim 68cuda

This is now the only American style HO scale crossing gate that Walthers carries. The NJ International crossing gates have been discontinued and out of stock for years, though they are still listed on the website. No other options with Walthers.
  7. Jim 68cuda

Thanks. That first one looks to be within budget. But, it ships from China, and the manufacturer's name on the circuit board is WeHonest Company. Kind of sad that American vendors stock the European crossing gates, but to get American style crossing gates they need to be ordered directly from...
  8. Jim 68cuda

So, what product is everyone now using for HO scale crossing gates? Whether you want operating or non-operating crossing gates, it appears that Walthers now only only has the toy like grade crossing with gates for the Bachmann EZ track. I've had NJ International crossing gates, like the one in...
  9. Jim 68cuda

Affordable city buildings?

Several of the structures shown aren't all that expensive. Many are in the Walthers Cornerstone series or from Life-like. But, of course the larger and the more detailed, the higher the price. Some are still available...
  10. Jim 68cuda

Anybody have a tow truck on their layout?

Kind of expensive, but Artitec's ready made 1/87 scale Model T tow truck would be a sweet addition to a steam era layout. Maybe use it to tow one of their ready made Model A's. https://www.artitecshop.com/en/ford-model-tt-tow-truck.html...
  11. Jim 68cuda

N scale Bachmann farmhouse 45812

There's a couple on E-bay at the moment. Kind of sad if it's been discontinued. That farm house has been a staple of HO and N scale layouts for decades. First released by Revell in HO in the late 50's, and later by AHM and Con-Cor. Bachmann released the N scale version in the 70's or 80's and I...
  12. Jim 68cuda

Running Bear's January 2024 Coffee Shop

So, now that the 1/87 scale Oxford 1966 GTO is available, will anyone replicate this image on their HO scale layout? Quote from the San Antonio Light, Thursday April 6, 1967: Possibly the latest in locomotive hood ornaments is a new Pontiac GTO. At the Missouri Pacific yards, Medina and W...
  13. Jim 68cuda

Oxford Chevy Corvair arrived today…

I got a bunch of Oxford cars lately (and the Brekina Plymouth). The 59 Plymouth taxi by Oxford is a replica of the taxis used in the movie "Its a mad Mad Mad Mad World". The up top on the 57 Olds convertible looks better than the pre production illustrations led me to believe. And I'm happy to...
  14. Jim 68cuda

Travel by Amtrak

I had never travelled by train, yet always wanted to. So, when Amtrak had a sale on the Auto train last year about this time, I decided to give it a try. The Auto Train is a unique non stop route as it only operates between Sanford, Florida and Lorton, Virginia and it allows you to take your car...
  15. Jim 68cuda

New HO vehicle announcements from Oxford

And now Oxford is already teasing us with the next set of new releases. Of the vehicles shown in this image, the Corvair Greenbriar van with surfboard, 64 Ford Country Sedan wagon, the Studebaker, and the Packard, are all to be 1/87 scale. The others will likely be N scale or OO scale.
  16. Jim 68cuda

Trains on TV & in the Movies

There have been a few different film adaptations of the original Agatha Christi book "Murder on the Orient Express. The most recent was the 2017 release starring a long list of stars imcluding Judi Dench, Willem Dafoe, Johnny Depp, and Michelle Pfeiffer.
  17. Jim 68cuda

Trains on TV & in the Movies

"It Happened to Jane", starring Doris Day and Jack Lemon hasn't been mentioned. The train is central to the plot, and gets quite a bit of time on screen throughout the movie.
  18. Jim 68cuda

1/32 scale turn of the century vehicles

I thought G scale was 1/24 scale. if so, there should be many vehicle options in that scale, as 1/24 and 1/25 scale is the most popular scale for vehicle model kits. But, I know that various scales use G-scale track. You might look at 1/32 scale vehicles by Signature Models such as this 1907...
  19. Jim 68cuda

New HO vehicle announcements from Oxford

The Chevy panel truck has previously been released as a delivery truck for "Hank's Diner", as a police paddy wagon, and as an ambulance.

Back