Search results

1. kevin58

Brewery

Ignore the track configuration in this example it is just a copy of another track plan. The Brewery would go somewhere within the area circled in red. I'm finding that brewery specific structure kits are quite expensive so my plan now is to use other kits to create one or two parts of a small...
  2. kevin58

Brewery

Anyone have a brewery on their layout? What structures do you have and can you post a track diagram showing how they are serviced? Thanks, Kevin
  3. kevin58

How to CORRECTLY model water.

Now I want water on my layout!
  4. kevin58

Pikestuff buildings....

Steel straight edge... shallow cuts and go slow. Over and over with light pressure until the tip of the blade goes through. And use new blades. Using blades past their prime is a false economy. Sooner or later you will ruin a piece or slip and cut yourself.
  5. kevin58

H & W RR -- second try

Maybe this has been covered and I've just missed it but unless the storage shelves are floor to ceiling why not build a narrow shelf layout around the room? The one I'm building goes over the couch and TV in our basement rec room. It is high enough off the floor that there is no problem with...
  6. kevin58

How did you decide on your Road/Theme?

Believe it or not I was not interested in trains until I saw a huge modular set up at our mall. That was 30 years ago and I was about 22 at the time so I came to it late... and through the back door. I ended up joining that club which was home based at the local historical museum. They model...
  7. kevin58

KUdos to all members

Yep. I don't feel qualified to comment on any one else's layout. But I am still looking for ideas. I think in most forums like these you have to expect many more views to a question than answers.
  8. kevin58

What turnouts do you use?

Nothing but Peco.
  9. kevin58

My first attempt

@Doughless: I took your advice on replacing the slip switch. I took the RH turnout going into the slip and moved it into that position. I am looking at that Montpellier Junction yard you posted Stein and it is basically an upside down version of the one I have drawn. Except I have the two...
  10. kevin58

What Track Planning Software Do You Use Poll

XtrkCad. It does take a few go's to get the hang of but worth it if you have the patience to do so.
  11. kevin58

My first attempt

The alterations are small but here is the update. 1) the yard has been pushed to the east shortening the stub tracks by 1 to 2 car lengths. I'm thinking I could shorten it a little farther. 2) the runaround in the south district has had some turnouts moved a tad to eliminate a couple of S...
  12. kevin58

My first attempt

A quick question about slip switches. I don't know if you can tell that there is one on the yard (where main goes into yard). I've never actually used on of these in the real world and I wonder if I need a single or double slip switch. I'm thinking double?? Thanks, Kevin
  13. kevin58

My first attempt

I did do some tweaking last night. Adjusted the switch heading to the dock at the south end to eliminate the S curve. Plus after "running" some trains on the software I decided to extend the industry runaround a tad. I draw it up later and post the revision And I also thought of adding an...
  14. kevin58

My first attempt

Thanks to ToyGuy's thread, Yard Design Feedback with steinjr posting the Junction Town yard along with elements from Peter Whites designs including the town of Armstrong ...I think I have a solid start on my basement layout. Take a look and tell me what you think. I'm not sure I need that many...
  15. kevin58

Hi from MI

I used to belong to a club here in Saginaw MI many years (decades!) ago. That was the bulk of my modeling... a 10' module I built for the club layout. I sold that when I left the club and all my stuff has been packed away in boxes since then. I once started a layout in my (then new) basement...

Back