Search results

1. H

Been a long time, layout pictures

I never stopped working on this or being active, it just took 5 years to complete the building and layout.
  2. H

I still have a couple things to finish up, but this is so nice to be at this spot.
  3. H

The last time I posted here, the layout room was in the process of getting sheetrock. Fast forward almost 5 years, and two kids later, and I am finally running. Room is 15 x 25, freelanced Norfolk Southern (with some interchange traffic from railroads I like) Kurt
  4. H

Peco Switch Help

I have around 150 pieces of new Atlas flex track I got for a dollar a piece years ago. That's too much for too cheap not to use.
  5. H

Peco Switch Help

Sorry, HO code 100
  6. H

Peco Switch Help

Hello all, I have been researching Peco switches, I think I am going to end up using them. They are a little more expensive but the reviews speak for themselves. I am a little confused, they come in small, medium and large. I have grown up raised on the #4, #6 and #8 atlas mentality. I...
  7. H

Basement Humidity Level - What's Ideal

I live in New Orleans, where we see humidity in the 80%/90% range in the summer. My train room is pretty well insulated, right now it's staying in the 60% range. I am going to get some damprid for winter, as last year I did notice some condensation on the windows when it got really cold...
  8. H

Norfolk Southern SD40E pull local trains?

On the point = on the head end of a train
  9. H

Norfolk Southern SD40E pull local trains?

I dont think so, the SD50 frame is a little longer than an SD40-2. Looking through the pictures it seems the run them in sets. I want to say they are used quite a bit as helper sets. Doesnt mean they are never on the point. I would say it's safe for them to be in road train service for you! I...
  10. H

Question on benchwork

I was talking about cross bracing the legs. I figured on attaching the layout to the wall for stability (although it will be hard because my sheetrock and paintwork was so nice) lol. I fully intended on using 1x3 for the support frame.
  11. H

Question on benchwork

Good call on that. Are cross braces necessary for stability as well? I am thinking no because it will be 20 feet long, that weight should stay pretty stable. (especially with the plywood on top)
  12. H

Question on benchwork

Hi All, I am getting ready to build the frame for my staging yard, it's going to be 20 feet long, 2.5 feet wide. This yard will be 18 inches below the main level. For the main level I used a laser level to get my base height around the room. Anyways, for the lower staging level and...
  13. H

Staging Yard / Hidden Tracks - Roadbed? Yay or Nay?

Hello, I am getting ready to build my bench-work for my staging yard. I am going to lay the track as well as it will be much easier to do so without an upper level present. One question I had, and would like some pros and cons is the question of roadbed in the staging yard. It seems like a...
  14. H

Intermodal Containers

My dad works for CSX intermodal, that is a HUGE no no, its against the rules. He said it MAY be possible in an old bulkhead style stack car.
  15. H

Help with an Atlas Gold Dual Mode (I think decoder)

So I can never run this engine with any other DC engines if I want to use any sound features? I am guessing it has to be completely stopped to change directions. This sounds like a bad deal, I think it may go for sale on ebay.
  16. H

This process worked! My dad used like 18 gauage wire for his bus wire so the engine doesnt move very fast but on my layout it should be fine.
  17. H

I bought the engine on ebay, I have no wand.
  18. H

Well my dad took it to someones house and tried to reprogram, but didnt power down and power up. Doh!
  19. H

What's in your wallet^W roster?

When I look at it like this, this is a lot! * indicates an engine not in service (decals/paint/new in box) Norfolk Southern SW1500 Ath SW1500 Ath GP15 P1k GP30* P2k GP35 Ath GP38 Atlas GP38 Atlas GP38 Atlas GP38 Atlas GP38* Atlas...
  20. H

That one item you have always been after

Good discussion! I did get the engine in, it's great, I'll post pics when I can.

Back