Search results

1. waredbear

Paragon & Neushore Track Design Phase...Need Your Suggestions

Working on my son-in-laws set-up a few weeks ago got my fire rekindled for working on my own layout. I had a couple of designs rolling around in my head and decided on the one I liked the most for what I want. That is.... 1. I want two trains rolling around in opposite directions to give...
  2. waredbear

Son-in-law's Layout

Just spent spring break with my duaghter and family. My son-in-law has wanted a layout for ever. He collects LGB for a backyard layout one day. He finally broke down and built an HO in the office. He had the benchwork completed, the elevated platforms up and the "grass" laid when I arrived. It...
  3. waredbear

Starter DCC For 4 yr Old Grandson...and me?

I know he isn't old enough to understand the workings of the system yet but I want one he can grow into. Currently he likes to turn the train on and watch it run round and round. He then turns the lights out and watch their lights go round and round. I wanted to go with the Zephyr but then I...
  4. waredbear

Turn-out Switch

Which type of switch is better for turn-outs? I have several of the Atlas types but they seem to have problems. I was going to replace them but I was wondering which was the best type of switch to use. I can see where the toggle is better but doesn't it energize the switch all the time. Compared...
  5. waredbear

The Paragon & Neushore

Okay, it is time to get your advise. I've read books, viewed layouts on-line, and I have several old and new Atlas layout books. I want a line with a yard with two passing tracks to keep the main open. I also want a few spurs scattered around for local freight. I finally landed on the Yard...
  6. waredbear

Reason for what I do.

I put together a small oval downstairs to test some trains with my grandson. This is the first time he has seen HO running and he is just amazed at it. He asks me everyday if we can go down and run the trains. I have decided to build a 4x8 layout that is easier to reach. :rolleyes: I've looked...
  7. waredbear

4-8-8-4 & 2-8-8-2 Christmas Present

Last year a friend of mine from church visited and brought over a couple of trains he had for years that he couldn't run on his small layout because of the wide turns they needed. I liked to have fallen over when he pulled out a Big Boy 4-8-8-4 (my favorite) and a 2-8-8-2. I literally drooled :p...
  8. waredbear

Shunting...Yard Staging

Are there any videos on YouTube or anywhere else that shows modelers shunting cars and setting up a consist for a long haul? I've viewed a lot of them but they just show a train moving one or two cars. I'm trying to get an understanding of how the procedure is completed. I understand that a...
  9. waredbear

Wife Is Going To KILL Me!!!

:eek: We went back up to Mt. Airy, NC (home of Mayberry RFD) to the train store that is closing. I went up there Thursday and picked-up a covered hopper and a 50' box car. I went back today and bought another covered hopper, a cylindrical grain hopper plus a 2 bay offset side hopper all in Great...
  10. waredbear

GE 44 Ton Switcher

I bought the switcher off of E-Bay and it was supposed to work. I put it on a track to see it operate and the engine moved slowly and then started smoking. Is it worth replacing the motors or is there something I can do to repair it? I see new ones on the Internet for $40 so I'm guessing this...
  11. waredbear

New Rolling Stock

A train friend told me last night that a train store an hour north of us is going out of business. I took a small road trip today to see what was left. I was hoping for some DCC controllers but he didn't have any left. I did manage to snag a 50' box car and a covered hopper at 40% off to add to...
  12. waredbear

Pass or Fail "Grades"

Have you ever topped a mountain road and started down and see the warning sign of "3% grade for next 3 miles"? This might be something new for those of you in Florida or Kansas. ;) (I was born and raised in FL, whose highest point is Britton Hill at 345 feet, so I can get away with that...

Back