Search results

1. D

8x4 to 10x7 - Now what!.....

Thank you. Glad to see you're having fun. Sometimes it's good to take a break from track design/construction. If I do switch to HO, I may end up with some kind of end to end around the wall design with turntables at both ends to turn engines. I'm still leaning toward modular construction...
  2. D

8x4 to 10x7 - Now what!.....

Ian, I've been away for awhile helping my wife recover from knee replacement surgery and then I ended up having emergency gallbladder surgery. But things are going well for both of us now, so I'm back checking the forum and I didn't see any new posts about your combined layout. How things...
  3. D

First attempt at an HO layout

I'm in an even worse situation. I ran into some health setbacks (wife's knee replacement and my emergency gallbladder surgery), so I've had time to consider my choice of layout designs. Since I don't have much invested yet, I'm considering switching from N Scale to HO. I finally got my...
  4. D

Foam board (How thick)

Yeah, that's the easy part. Trying to decide which track and switches to use is another story, and that's mostly where I'm stuck. I think it's narrowed to Atlas, Atlas Code 55, or UniTrack, so another trek to the LHS and local club is in order as soon as I can find the time. :)
  5. D

Foam board (How thick)

My 10x6 table layout will be N-Scale on a grid of ~16" squares without a plywood base, so I plan to use two 1" thick pieces of foam for the base. This will allow me to easily form a 1" thick river though the upper half simply by cutting the river area out of the top layer. Additional layers of...
  6. D

I did say it probably wasn't prototype, but others have suggested it was okay to do with diesels. I guess it all depends on how much of a purist you are, how often you want to come out of the operation area just to turn engines, etc. Having runarounds doesn't preclude you from turning...
  7. D

WHAT?!! ATLAS SHRUGGED... a MOVIE?

Chris, is this the book you are referring to? It fits the timeframe, 1987. http://www.amazon.com/Union-Pacific-Maury-Klein/dp/0385177283
  8. D

Thanks, you understood what I was saying just fine and I like the changes. When you get to the point of running a test train in XTrakCAD, you'll be able to see if those runaround tracks work for you or not. I just figured the less often you have to come out of the operation area to manually...
  9. D

I'm under the impression that both staging yards will be hidden from the rest of the layout with access from that side of the layout and not from the operations area. It looks like you plan to stage 5 trains per session. When those have run through, you'll have to pause to flip engines and run...
  10. D

H & W RR -- second try

What are your plans for the pool table? Do you plan on moving the layout to play pool? I sure hope not. :) As far as reach goes, a table 5' wide with access all around means a reach of only 2.5'. However, there are a few things at play here that will increase "your" reach significantly...
  11. D

H & W RR -- second try

I like the changes, especially the streamlined access to the staging area.
  12. D

Grass mats VS Ground cover

$16.47 at Amazon. I'm looking for a good book on DCC to go with it so the order qualifies for free shipping. :)
  13. D

Comparison of Bachmann and Atlas #4/#6 Turnouts (N-Scale)

Thanks, Glenn. The 4-8-4 I have coming back from repair will probably never run on this layout unless I also wire it for DC operation. I am thinking about that (like some others here have done), but I really haven't thought that far ahead yet. I'm new at DCC, so there is probably more than...
  14. D

Thanks. Sorry, I meant the Consolidation, but all that is up in the air based what will run on the tight curves and 2% incline. I don't intend to use any of my current equipment, especially the engines. The 4-8-4 is brand new (though back at Bachmann for repair), came with the Empire...
  15. D

Not mine, but a great layout

Well, you know I'm no stranger to being scoffed at and if my layout turns out even half as good, I'll be estatic. :) As for sound, I'm going to have a listen again, I didn't pay that much attention to it the first time. I already know I have a lot of research ahead of me when I start buying...
  16. D

How did you decide on your Road/Theme?

In the mid-late 50's, I used to ride the train between my hometown (Brillion) and Manitowoc WI, a whopping 25 miles (my uncle was a ticketmaster in Manitowoc). I was just a kid, so I didn't pay much attention to anything other than the Playboy posters that plastered the insides of the cabooses...
  17. D

Not mine, but a great layout

That is so well done, thanks for posting the link. Here's some specs that we in the first comment RCModelMB - Home Model Railway HO Scale 1/87 (cca 16m2). Train with sound unite. Digital Systems Lenz Length of railway track (Fleischmann) is more than 230 meters (65 railway switches) and...
  18. D

The H&W spaghetti bowl

Hi Thomas, I warned you not to get your hopes up for too many comments, sadly it looks like I was right. :( I do like the Jetson's motif suggestion though. I was thinking Mad Max meets Old NYC. :) Anyway, I'm still interested in your progress and any changes you've made since your OP...
  19. D

Glenn, Thanks for speaking up. I've been vacilating and was probably too quick to exclude the 55, especially given your experience. I looked at some 55 at the LHS a couple of weeks ago and I have to admit they were the nicest looking pieces I saw. BTW, so far I've been buying my track...
  20. D

Chris, Thanks for taking a look at the design. Like I said, the full scale printout indicates everything should work. As for MRR experience, it's been over 30 years and I never got to the scenery stage because we had to move (Air Force). But, I had a 2-level staggered layout that was...

Back