Search results

1. Rico

Idiots anonymous?

Hi, my name is Rick and I’m an idiot. (Everybody: Hi Rick) So I’m revamping/redesigning the HO layout and it’s now time to lay down some cork roadbed. This is my favourite part of the hobby next to running, there’s just something about the smell and look of it. The problem is, or was, cork is...
  2. Rico

Rico's wee adventure

So I’m going to blame this one on Tony, owner of the Frog and Diamond hobby shop in Winnipeg, for putting the N scale stuff up front in the store. This means you have to walk right past it to get to the HO stuff... I'm sure you can see where this is leading. I've always liked the Norfolk...
  3. Rico

Crossing conundrum

I’m hoping someone can help me wrap my head around this. Kato #20-300 and #20-301 15 degree crossings are listed as left and right. Does tilting the crossing one way or 'tuther not make it left or right? Is there something I’m missing with the joiners maybe? Is 1500 hours on a Sunday too early...
  4. Rico

Railpro Installed

I finally got around to installing the Railpro modules I posted in the RPO into some locos (HO Kato’s). They have Scale Sound System speakers and I’m quite impressed with the sound, especially that melodic horn!
  5. Rico

Looking for an “Iltis”

Hey, I’m wondering if anyone by chance either has or knows where I might find an HO scale Iltis jeep made by Herpa and sold by Walthers? https://www.walthers.com/herpa-military-modern-german-army-bw-light-trucks-iltis-4x4-staff-car After seeing Toms (747flier) thread about 3D printed loads of...
  6. Rico

Just Plug Lighting System

Now that I’m back working on the layout I find that alternating between modeling, scenery, wiring, etc. keeps me motivated. I had a sizeable credit at a hobby shop to use up so thought I’d try Woodland Scenics “Just Plug” system. Its a bit pricey compared to my usual “from scratch” method but it...
  7. Rico

HO Burlington Northern 40 Creek Subdivision

Greetings all! I’m back from an electron free hiatus (internet, cell phone, etc) and getting back into the train room. Being the holiday season I thought I’d run a special over the layout, so much as it is this far. These pictures will follow BN #1 from Bennett Yard out over the line thru...
  8. Rico

Weekend Workbench: 2023

Well okay, we thought we might try this out so here goes. Show us what you’re working on this weekend, if it's on the workbench, layout, layout room, or whatever! I've been slowly modifyng this Walthers Clarksville Station (bought on Feebay mint in box but missing half the parts with the...
  9. Rico

Favourite freight car

I’ve been going thru a lot of boxes making to-keep and to-go lists. In the process I’m finding cars I’d forgotten I had which got me thinking about which ones are my favourites. Im going to have to go with the Accurail 2000 series three bay covered hoppers. They're affordable, easy to assemble...
  10. Rico

Runaway railcar

Thought this might interest some, might be old news to others. We've likely all had this happen at one time... someone has some explaining to do! https://www.msn.com/en-ca/video/news/runaway-railcar-barrels-down-tracks-in-washington/vi-AATeJml?ocid=entnewsntp
  11. Rico

Crossing Conundrum

I'm in the process of laying out track for the new Fuerst Matthes paper mill and find myself in need of a crossing to gain space. I’m using HO code 83 track with Peco switches and currently have an Atlas 25 degree crossing in place seen in this photo. The problem comes from short locos and...
  12. Rico

A knock on my door (or mistakes I love to make)

It started like any other night, dogs in, cats in, doors locked, and teeth brushed. Laying in bed with a large K9 on either side pinning me into a blanket burrito and contemplating the days events and those to come. Seems like I had only just closed my eyes but it was actually two am when there...
  13. Rico

Looking for bridge info

Im looking at getting a double track plate girder bridge to replace the ones I have with incorrect track spacing. (incorrect in that they don’t match up with my double track bridges) Im thinking of the Atlas HO scale model #70000028 code 83 double track plate girder. Can anyone tell me what the...
  14. Rico

Merry Christmas to all! (with a short story)

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all! And a touching Christmas story: A couple were in a busy shopping center just before Christmas. The wife suddenly noticed that her husband was missing and as they had a lot to do, she called him on the mobile. The wife said " Where are you, you know...
  15. Rico

Looking for a video

I'm hoping someone might know of a layout video I've been scouring the internet for. It’s HO scale and something like 4x8, 3x7, 5x6 or something and actually has two levels. I believe it was signaled and one side had an over under bridge scene. I also remember it being CSX, maybe NS with...
  16. Rico

Modelling with Krystal Klear

Thought I’d start a discussion about using Krystal Klear or similar products. What method do you use and what do you use it for? Photos would really help! I've tried making windows with less than favourable results.
  17. Rico

Loco / tender ID

Would anyone happen to know which of these tenders goes with which of these locos? I’m thinking the 999 is the New York Central and 666 is the Penn Central, based on the looks of the bodies and wheels. Thanx!
  18. Rico

Another Ebay mystery

Okay we all know the pros and cons of Feebay and there’s tons of topics both praising and blasting it. I still like to peruse the listings tho for hard to find items or to get an idea of what an item is fetching on the market and I do have some goodies that I’ll likely list there. For the most...
  19. Rico

Modeller or railfan?

So I was talking to a buddy earlier (from six ft away of course) who is a railfan but not a model railroader which got me wondering if all model railroaders are railfans. Might seem odd to some that I’m a modeller but really not all that interested in the real thing. Oh sure, my heart beats just...
  20. Rico

M.E. Bridge beam parts?

Can anyone id the parts (on the sprue) that come with the bridge beams in Micro Engineering's HO 50’ plate girder kit 80-166? A friend is using them for a bridge project and there's surprisingly little info out there. I suspect they may be top rails. Thanx!

Back