Search results

1. Ned Carey

How to Make Trees and Shrubs

Jos, Do you have a Dial Caliper? Can you measure the thickness of the "Deco Twister" fibers? I measured Woodland Scenics Poly Fiber and it is about .001". I bought some similar material from Sweet Water Scenery in Black. It appears thicker although my measurements show it to also be .oo1"...
  2. Ned Carey

Thanks Dave, I have used the coarsest pads from 3M, the rest just don't seem to work well. I found a roughly 2'X3' blue filter at Home Depot or Lowes. I think it might have been Frost King. It was relatively coarse (good) and easy to pull apart and stretch, also good. I am ready to order...
  3. Ned Carey

Quick Cedar trees Here are some quick, easy and cheap to make evergreens. I call them cedar trees because the shape is very close to the Red Cedar in my front yard. I bought some fake stems at a craft store. The label says; Interior Accents Fashion Stems. The back says distributed by Jo Ann...
  4. Ned Carey

Twister colors Bloemschik returned my e-mail and said they can ship to the USA. I will order Mocca. Do you use any other colors? I thought Silver or Black may be good especially for winter or dead trees- or better just to paint? The greens all look to bright /artificial for me. Thank...
  5. Ned Carey

Thank you Jos! Thank you for the reply! ! ! I sent an e-mail to Bloemschik to see if they can ship to the USA. I hope someone there can read English. I wonder if this is the same stuff. http://www.micromark.com/BLACK-and-BROWN-POLY-FIBER-4-OZ,9033.htmlMicro Mark is an American company...
  6. Ned Carey

Lets talk tree fibers. Jos and others, I am still a little confused about fibers to use after the basic wire branch structure is made. I have experimented with different types of fibers and I am not totally happy yet. Woodland Scenics Poly fiber, static grass, Sweetwater Scenery Fibers) As I...
  7. Ned Carey

Glue for puzzles is usually paint on, or spread on glue. You want some type of spray glue to glue leaves/foliage. The glue they are referring to may be "Matte Medium" or "Gloss Medium" which is basically acrylic paint without the color. This can be thinned down and put into a pump spray bottle...
  8. Ned Carey

Thanks Jos. I have seen a couple of those pictures earlier in the thread and were helpful. Especially the part about the loops -Two branches for the work of one. :) I was thinking more in terms of how do you hold it. Do you put the core pin in a vise? Do you use piers to hold the trunk or to...
  9. Ned Carey

Hair spray vs spray glue. Hair spray is not very strong. Cheap hair spray is the best. I have read that it is simply spray lacquer. So it is only as strong as paint:) Spray glue is made by 3M company or Elmers and others. A hardware store, artist supply store or craft store should have...
  10. Ned Carey

Modeling paste for Bark I found an item at a craft store that looked like it could be very good for tree modeling. Windsor Newton Heavy Carvable Modeling paste. I sounded easier than Jos' sawdust / white glue method. So far I am very happy with the results. The package is labeled in several...
  11. Ned Carey

Glue Go to the main page and look for the FAQ. Go to Reading and posting messages. Under that is attachments and images, which has full instruction on how to upload images. I use spray glue to attach the fibers. When I sprinkle on the ground foam/foliage I just use hair spray. Spray glue...
  12. Ned Carey

First trees Here are some pic. of my first serious attempt at tree Making. The left two trees are "Jack Work" type trees. (Originally described by Jack in a 1950's Model Railroader Magazine). It is a tapered dowel with Bark texture scribed by dragging a razor saw along the length. I drilled...
  13. Ned Carey

Weathering

Very good especially the end. I would say outstanding for a first try! It reminds me of my first weathering job. I did it on a junk Gondola. It came out great because I wasn't afraid of ruining it. Sadly it was a low quality toy train so I couldn't use it.
  14. Ned Carey

A BIG Thank You Thank you to all but especially Jos as I know English is not your first language and you have to translate. You have been very generous with your time and techniques. I have read this thread about trees several times and have learned a lot. I found this thread by...
  15. Ned Carey

tall grass - hair clips 1) You can use static grass. There are videos on YouTube on how to make a static grass applictor. Model Railroad Hobiest magazine (online for free) had an artiicle in the last two years about static grass and making an applicator. 2) The March 2005 Model Railroad...
  16. Ned Carey

WIP: MDC 2-Truck Shay

Rtv I wouldn't use double sided tape. Lots of people use RTV (room temperature vulcanizing - AKA adhesive caulk) to mount motors. Congrats on the shay. I am working on converting a Bachmann Shay to a heavier version. An MDC shay kit is on my project list.
  17. Ned Carey

HO Scale Rope

Berkshire Junctions EZ line is a great product but probably not what you are looking for. It doesn't have much of a "rope" texture. Michael's or other craft stores have jewelry / beading supplies. They have some fine multi strand wire in different colors for beading. I have bought some to...
  18. Ned Carey

Weathering Recipe Help!

If I understand you question you are asking what colors to mix to make a standard weathering color. Is that correct? I find good weathering is a combination of layers using different colors and techniques. There is no one color for weathering. If you are starting with Acrylics, I suggest...
  19. Ned Carey

Weathering Recipe Help!

If I understand you question you are asking what colors to mix to make a standard weathering color. Is that correct? I find good weathering is a combination of layers using different colors and techniques. There is no one color for weathering. If you are starting with Acrylics, I suggest...

Back