Search results

1. F

Kadee 30 series HO coupler help needed!

Hi, So, it turns out that good ol' #5's + box is too big for my kitbashed GE44 :( After much research, it turns out that a 30 series (small g/box) will fit very nicely. My problem is I think I've already messed up two of the torsion springs trying to get em mounted! :eek: - The...
  2. F

Anyone do their own photo-etches?

Hey, Given the bug up my **** to do the "Ford 44 tonner" I'm seriously tempted by the Micromark photo-etch kit; http://www.micromark.com/Micro-Mark-Pro-Etch-Photo-Etch-System,8346.html The more I think about it, the more possibilities it opens up........ Anyone got one? Is it any...
  3. F

The 2nd one -> Fords version!?.....[Sorry Henry!]

Hey, The attached pic unashamedly lifted from here; http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=207538&postcount=11 I think it's about the coolest loco I've ever seen! Imagine that in "my" V&T colors with brightly chromed grilles! Maybe even a photoetch of the Ford herald on...
  4. F

DZ143 wire colors ("Blue" -v- "Dark blue")

Hi, Picked up a new one of these guys and there isn't a "violet" wire - There's the "standard" blue, that I assume is common but violet seems to have morphed into a very dark blue. Given that if I'm wrong this sucker will short and burn up, can anyone confirm that dark blue really is...
  5. F

Consisting in the prototype?

Hi, While noodling around I came across the pic attached - That's some *serious* pulling power!..... Not being a "railfan" (or having any real knowledge of these big guys) I'm a little surprised they put all the power at the front (?) Or, is there even more power in the middle / at the...
  6. F

Tsunami motor control setup [from Jim Betz]

Hey, So as to not completely hijack the "start speed" thread, I figured I'd start a new one. As noted I don't have any Tsunami's (yet!) but their settings piqued my interest. Poking around turned up the following on the MRR forums [The thread link is below] - Pretty helpful stuff..... So...
  7. F

Dumb question; Double -v- single slip T/O's?

Hey, Perusing the Walthers catalog (fewer better ways to waste time ;)) turned up double slip (948-8814) and single slip (948-8836) T/O's. They're identical dimensions, angles and price ($75 on sale @ $59 btw). Now, I *thought* a slip allowed an entry on either leg on one side to exit on...
  8. F

Painting a GE44 tonner - How crazy should I go?....

Hi, Taking a break from layout design decisions, I want to spray some paint! I have a couple of Bachmann Spectrums in black & silver that need to be redone in "my" prototypes green & yellow. [Pic attached] I pulled the shell, windows etc but the handrails (and some pretty nice "hinged...
  9. F

Anyone try *live* moss in scenery?......

Hi, Somewhat unusually for my neck of the woods we've had a lot of rain and there's a ton of moss doing well in the yard right now. I thought about doing the glycerin + dye thing but am tempted to try and put it in "live"! :eek: I read about someone doing a live cacti install in little...
  10. F

Electronics Q; 7805 running hot with no load?

Hi, Long story short: ~16Vdc comes in [Either way] - Part of this is fed to a bridge rectifier's AC input such that it outputs about the same V (but now always one way). - This goes to a 7805 (there's a resistor in the +ve leg that's turned the shrink tubing brown! But I can't remember...
  11. F

8x4 to 10x7 - Now what!.....

Hi, "Long time lurker, newbie poster." Cutting a long story short(er), this whole "adventure" actually began with HO scale slot cars - I eventually got a nice track flowing on the 8x4 and was going to "cast it in stone" (OK, hydrocal) and landscape it based loosely on the area around...

Back