Search results

1. D

How to make plastic ho couplers function well in long trains

Over the past few months I've purchased some used, mostly Athearn, HO boxcars. I've disassembled, cleaned and tweaked them, installed metal knuckle couplers (KD and/or ProtoMax), and then test run them. While doing so I kept seeing a small container in a box I have that has about 50+ brown...
  2. D

List of boxcar loads 1930s into the 1970s

ALL: Boxcar loads don't get much attentions because, well, we can't see them. However, over time I've compiled quite a list of items that were or still are shipped in boxcars. I think you'll find them interesting. DougC RAILROAD BOXCAR LOADS - ABOUT 1930 INTO THE 1970's 1...
  3. D

Pic of 5 Steam Locos Under Steam - Today

Amazing - photo of 5 steamers today. Scroll down through the first 5 and read the info under the pic of all 5 together. VERY unusual and COOL! As info, the one I worked on the most was 487 back in 1973 - 1975. DougC http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/read.php?1,300991
  4. D

ELEVEN INCH RADIUS CURVES & BACHMANN'S HO GP38-2s

Hope everyone is having a restful day. As I've posted before, on my HO layout I've got a right-angle figure-8 track where I run a 32-car ore train with one engine and one caboose. The loops are both 11" radius - with only one loop visible (basically the rest of the track is out of sight.)...
  5. D

My brief review of Bachmann's HO 2-10-2

Frist of all I bought one of these about 4 years ago, and because of my lack of knowledge and general impatience I quickly returned it to Bachmann. Why? It would derail on curved turnouts (21" radius) and I didn't want to dig in and try to find out what was going on. Fast-forward to today...
  6. D

Braking on the MoPac 1977 - Three Rememberances

Yesterday I was letting my mind drift back to when I started braking on the MoPac out of Bismarck MO around 1977, and I thought I'd share with you some memories that have stuck with me for the past 35 years. Some of you might enjoy these. When I signed up to brake on the MoPac the first...
  7. D

Peculliar Model Railroad Thought I've Never Seen Addressed

I had a peculiar model railroad thought that I’ve never seen addressed, and wanted to get your opinions. I live 60 miles from the nearest railroad, so I get my train “fix” with my HO model railroad. Since my three mainline trains have over 60 cars each, when running they individually and...
  8. D

Bachmann surprise (positive) and a question

All: It's been about 3 years since I got rid of all my old HO engines (Athearn) and have been purchasing mostly Bachmann diesel engines (but some Atlas Trainman, plus, well, more than one of Bachmann's Berkshires). A couple of weeks ago I purchased a "used" (only test run) Bachmann Heavy...
  9. D

UPDATES On Breaking-In B'mann Diesel Locos, & Using Labelle 107 on Comm Plates

Hope this follow-up is useful or at least interesting to you: Referencing this thread's Title, you can find the original Unusual Way To Break-In B'mann Diesel Locos here http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28154&highlight=DougC and the original Simple Fix That Is...
  10. D

Real World Reasons For Mixed Loco Road Names On Trains

I almost posted this under the "I almost pulled the trigger" thread just below, but I thought a new thread would be more appropriate. Regarding operating "incorrect" loco equipment on your model railroad - My HO model RR is set in the mid-1970s with the yard placed "in the only flat spot...
  11. D

Uusual Way To Break-In B'mann HO Diesel Locos

All: You might find the following interesting and possibly useful. I get in moods to test things (like running a 70-car train backward over 16” radius curves with no derailments – see my post of 12-26-2011 on this forum -...
  12. D

Superb Track Cleaning Thread On Another Board

A heads-up recommendation: Over on the Bachmann forums, HO, about 8 threads down from the top is a thread entitled "Track Cleaning." Some of you may have seen it but I bring this up because it turns out to be the best and most thorough one I've ever read. Yes, my 2 cents is there too...
  13. D

Backing/Shoving Long Trains: Part 3 - FLOATING TRUCKS

Referencing my previous two posts: Backing/Shoving Long Trains (9-23-11), and Backing/Shoving Long Trains – Part 2 (12-26-11), I’m adding this thread Backing/Shoving Long Trains – Part 3 - FLOATING TRUCKS. I think you will find it at least interesting, and it will probably be my last article...
  14. D

Backing/Shoving Long Trains - Part 2

Subject: Backing a 69-car train around a loop with 16” radius curves. On 9-23-11, on this site, under this section, “Scale Specific Discussion – HO Scale”, and under the title, “Backing/Shoving Long Trains”, I addressed with some detail how I run long trains backwards with no derailments on...
  15. D

Simple Fix That Is Working

All: As I've been helped by many of you on this forum I hope the info below will help you and future forum readers. First, a brief background reminder of The Problem: Last year I sold all of my Athearn BB diesels that I'd been using for about 17 years, and purchased some Bmann and Atlas...
  16. D

Backing/Shoving Long Trains

All: Regarding backing/shoving long trains I ‘d like to share a success story. I’ve learned a lot on this forum, and in return you all might find my experience interesting and some of it helpful. As info I’m 63, started model railroading in 1961 with a Gilbert American Flyer S gauge set...
  17. D

I Need Any Experienced Opinions - Even Guesses

All: I've got a peculiar problem that I've never seen before in 40 years of model railroading, and I've not been able to figure this out. Your input will be greatly appreciated. First, here's the background facts. I run HO DC only, track is all Atlas 100 NS flex, track turnouts are Model...
  18. D

Bachmann HO GP38-2 Fix

Bachmann HO GP38-2 Fix I hope this info is useful or helpful or at least informative for you. Per one of my other topics on this Forum I’ve been tweaking some of Bachmann’s GP30s and 35s to the point where they are almost silent runners. If you grade Atlas locos as “A”s in the “silent...
  19. D

My Bachmann Sleeper Diesels

I’m sure many of you have done the “sow’s-ear-to-silk” procedure on various model railroad locomotives over the years, and I wanted to share this story with you. Hope you find it useful and/or interesting. Not long ago while online I was fishing around and was attracted to one of the road...
  20. D

Anybody here do this?

I have three related questions. When I was designing my HO layout about 17 years ago I read up on the subject including John Armstrong's book. In it or somwhere I read that to help create visual interest and keep part of the track work from looking boring, when running straight track down...

Back