Search results

1. DairyStateDad

Running Bear's January 2019 Coffee Shop

Congratulations. And especially, congratulations on behalf of your children. This is personal for me... I didn't smoke (well, except for some high school foolishness) but my father was a lifelong smoker and I am quite convinced that his death at 71 was hastened as a consequence. For me that has...
  2. DairyStateDad

Certainly a great thought, Greg, but our No.1 priority is everything on one floor. DSM is very concerned about having to deal with steps as we get older. We're also moving in a general downsizing direction. Ideally we'll still be able to have a basement...that's what I am using now... but...
  3. DairyStateDad

Good afternoon, everyone. This is one of those days that the morning work agenda got shot to hell, with life happening while i was making other plans. So, for now, the morning tasks get bumped to the afternoon. Question for Willie... have you ever done a thread on the building of your train...
  4. DairyStateDad

Sawmill kitbash

Well, I think it's time to get some pastels. I have some weathering powders and tried some, but used too much, too dark, and it's pretty uneven. Still, with a better selection of proper pastels, that should help tone these things down. Thanks again for the tip, Greg....
  5. DairyStateDad

1930s Fire Trucks -- probable Kitbashing project

That Wilson book link is perfect.. Thank you for finding that, Dave. Exactly the sort of images I've been hunting for.
  6. DairyStateDad

Sawmill kitbash

Oooh, I didn't even think of powders -- and I have some on hand (not Pan pastels, but suitable). Thanks! We'll be out tonight, but it looks like I know what tomorrow night's task will be The long wall will have openings, I just haven't cut them in the paper inside wall. And yeah, signs and...
  7. DairyStateDad

Sawmill kitbash

Thank you, Willie, and also Mike! I agree that they look too clean. They're inkjet printed on paper, so I suppose the easiest way to "weather" them might be to go back into the original image files on my computer and experiment with tweaking the colors on them. Still another alternative might...
  8. DairyStateDad

Hmmm... If you're in the market to sell, PM me. I can't promise that I'll be acting very soon -- see my earlier references to this being a longer-range project -- and I wouldn't need more than a few things, I think.. but definitely open to considering a transaction sometime down the road at the...
  9. DairyStateDad

Sawmill kitbash

Another shot. I haven't glued any of these in place yet.
  10. DairyStateDad

Sawmill kitbash

So... I am trying to decide if this is too pale for the interior wall. I could probably figure out how to print it darker... but not sure if I need to.
  11. DairyStateDad

Side note... ever since Boris posted the interesting picture of the End-door boxcar delivering a fire truck, I've been poking around hoping to find a bit more information about that boxcar configuration. As always, I am constrained by my decision to model mid-1930s, so I am sure that has...
  12. DairyStateDad

Kalmbach Publishing book sale

Put in an order for the vehicles book, figuring that I'm going to have to probably kitbash a few of those since it's so hard to find 1930s era products, although I have certainly been informed about other resources for those the last few days from folks here.
  13. DairyStateDad

Wow! It's my recollection that the Jordan products are white metal kits, but are any of them plastic? We are in a bit of an austerity budget mode around here following the holidays, but if any of your stock is offered for sale, I would entertain the possibility. Bearing in mind that I am going...
  14. DairyStateDad

Sawmill kitbash

Greg -- You are too kind! Let's see how the whole thing turns out, and I'll make sure to take lots of pictures. BTW, on your individual pieces of stripwood... An idea I like in principle, but I think I'll stick with using the paper walls I've been planning inside for ease of application and in...
  15. DairyStateDad

Steam guy here. Generally the smaller stuff. My favorites are geared -- I have a Roundhouse Shay I bought second-hand a few years ago and still need to have a decoder put into, and a Bachmann Climax with DCC I bought new from Klein's. The rest is a mix, including an as-yet-unbuilt Roundhouse...
  16. DairyStateDad

Paint color formularies

Thanks, I have downloaded it, and I think it could be useful, at least for color matching. Much appreciated.
  17. DairyStateDad

Sawmill kitbash

Wow, nearly a month since I posted last on this. Today I set up a primitive paint shop and primed the two sections of the building. Tomorrow night, I will do the inside walls.
  18. DairyStateDad

The room is cleaned and now I have a paint shop -- a big cardboard box covered with a plastic bag in front of an open window. Work on the sawmill is resuming... Happy Sunday, everyone!
  19. DairyStateDad

Favorite Layouts of Other Famous Modelers...

Wow. Just wow. That is amazing. Since he is in the business, do you suppose all his hobby expenses are tax-deductible as R&D;)? Thanks for posting that.
  20. DairyStateDad

Willie... don't know how I managed to miss that it was your birthday yesterday. Belated best wishes for the day. Today is a big errand day for us. I am hoping that when we get back home the surge of energy I'm feeling will get me through cleaning out my son's old room. Feeling very highly...

Back