Search results

1. J

Atlas still in business? Taking the Summer off?

This model railroading hobby is all new to me (2 weeks and counting) and am I am sure this has been discussed to the ends of the earth, but... Is Atlas struggling, out of business, taking a Summer break? I have emailed them, etc., with no reply. Noticed that Lionel had been in financial...
  2. J

Remote Switches - Operation Question

On remote track switches, I just read that you should only press the "button" for 1 second to energize them. I figured prior to reading that that I could use a toggle switch, but evidently, that is not the case, correct? If so, my idea of small children pressing these buttons will be...
  3. J

Please Review my Planned Layout -- And Auto Reverse/Switch Questions

I only have about 4-1/2 feet by 6-1/2 feet to work with. I thought about N scale, but figured the HO was a better fit now and down the road. I assumed, perhaps wrongly, that the HO engines were better, more choices in track and accessories, and again, more expandable if they decide to do so...
  4. J

Please Review My Planned Layout and General Questions

SpaceMouse, Thanks for the advice. Will take a lot more than 10 minutes to digest your site, but the Beginners Guide is very helpful. I am now in a quandry whether to rethink it all....yikes!!! JackL
  5. J

I have thought of that. How do you step down the voltage? I figured I would simply set the controllerd (car and train) to a set speed and hide the controllers, only allowing the kids to throw switches to energize the cars, trains, handle the track switches, etc. But I would prefer to allow...
  6. J

Crandell and all, Originally I had considered a layout with lots of sides to docks that would include coupling and decoupling of cars, and so forth. But using the True-Track, I was told that the couplers-decouplers don't work (at least automatically, remember, I plan to keep the kids' hands...
  7. J

Crandell, Thanks for your advice and honest appraisal. The layout is for my two very young grandsons. The oldest of which absolutely loves trains, both model and real. To further explain the layout, the trolley (blue) rail is completely elevated so there will be no grade. No ramps. The large...
  8. J

garage layout progress (part 2)

Wow! What a great layout and scenery. Gave some ideas for my simple layout. jack
  9. J

Wheeler1963, Thanks for the reply. The trolley side and switch was to add some interest and there will be a station at the bumper-end. I am checking with a local circuit maker to prevent the derailments. Thanks again, jack
  10. J

I posted this first in the wrong area... Okay, I have a layout that in my mind should work. Can you please review it so that I can be sure the investment will not end up a pile of track in a box? Explanation: Two separate tracks. Each track will have its own power transformer and...
  11. J

Okay, I have a layout that in my mind should work. Can you please review it so that I can be sure the investment will not end up a pile of track in a box? Explanation: Two separate tracks. Each track will have its own power transformer and control. All Atlas true-track components. The purple...
  12. J

Need help with simple turnout layout

Flyboy2610. Thanks for the reply regarding the software. I have been using it and just found late today that some of the Atlas True-Track components are configured wrong in the software. Once I figured that out I was able to finish my layout. Thanks again, jack
  13. J

Crandell Thanks for the reply. Evidently, turnout is not the right word. The Atlas 480/481 are LH RH switches and appear to have a radius. Regarding the oval, it does not to have to be perfect. I simply want to connect the two switches with some sort of radius. JackL
  14. J

This is a great forum and as a total novice I am learning a lot, at least model railroading terms if nothing else. I am planning a simple layout for the grandkids using Atlas HO true-track components. However, I am having difficulty with part of the layout. I have a 22" radius oval with...

Back