Search results

1. cdouglas

Weathering chalks disappearing when sealing black loco

Hello, I have been using chalks to weather cars and locos for a while and have liked the results but I tried my first black steam loco over the weekend and had problems. No matter what I did, the chalks completely disappeared after sealing with dullkote or Grumbacher chalk fixative. Based...
  2. cdouglas

Adding decoder to old Bachmann Northern

I recently got an OLD HO Bachmann 4-8-4 with one of the pancake motors in it. Is not even one in the plastic housing, its built into the metal of the frame and has copper strips that run parallel to the frame from screws on either side of the main shaft to provide power. After a tuneup, its...
  3. cdouglas

Athearn BB Locos List

Hello, I am not sure where I got this, but wanted to share. It was originally a XLS file that I converted to a PDF so I can post here. If you want the XLS, PM me and I'll email it to you. Since I did not create this, I cannot verify its accuracy, but it has come in handy a few times...
  4. cdouglas

Adding grab irons to Athearn BB with molded on grab irons

Hello, I am just getting into adding more details to some of my BB locos. My test unit is a Athearn BB GP50 and it was easy since it had dimples to drill out. I then looked at the SD40's and they have molded on grab irons. Reading other posts, most people seem to say to shave them off but I...
  5. cdouglas

Attn Far North Dallas, TX HO modelers

I am looking either for a club to join, possibly starting a new club or just finding another individual to work on a new or existing HO DCC layout in McKinney, Allen or Frisco. If you know of anything or would like to discuss getting something started, please contact me. Thank you Chris
  6. cdouglas

concrete paint

I was sure this would have been asked and answered already but found nothing in search so.... I need to paint some 1"x2"x18" wood strips to look like concrete for a raised wall that an intermodal crane will run on. Are there any sprays that give a good scale concrete look? thanks Chris
  7. cdouglas

Question about model railroad clubs

Hello, I have been looking for a model railroad club to join in my area and so far haven't found a good fit. I wanted to ask if anyone knows of a club in any area that matches what I am looking for since I am probably outside the normal demographic. I am 40 and have only recently got...
  8. cdouglas

My 5 yr olds first weathering

Hello, Wanted to share my 5 yr olds first attempt at weathering (the gondola) and my 3rd ever attempt (BN boxcar). He was against the idea a first since he doesn't want old, dirty cars on his RR but he ended up really enjoying it. They are both old lifelike cars I got when I was a kid in...
  9. cdouglas

My first impressions with Bachmann Ez-Track

Hello, I am very new to the hobby again and recently I got some nickel silver Bachmann EZ-track and wanted to share my experience with it for those who are considering it. Why I chose it: I do not have any permanent layout space yet so I needed something that could be put up/taken down...
  10. cdouglas

One inch short on simple bachmann ez track layout

Hello, Today I whipped together a layout for my son on our dining room table using ez track I got on clearance. Due to the table size, I made a 18" rad outside loop and a 15" inside loop joined with #6 turnouts. The closest I could get with the track I had and even searching on Internet was...
  11. cdouglas

Locate extruded foam in Dallas

Hello all, I'm new to the forums and the hobby in a very long time. I am in the process of procuring items to create my first layout in 30 so odd years. Actually two separate ones, one dc setup for my son with my 30 year old trains and a DCC setup with new trains for me. I have decided...

Back