Search results

1. P

Question

I take an Exacto knife and trim off the tie plates on the ties that were removed and slip them under. No humps. Glenn
  2. P

Question About Weathering

Thanks for the encouragement Will. I certainly enjoy the process, and the results do get better each time. The fun in this is learning what does and doesn't work. I am currently in the build phase of my layout, so I haven't painted in quite sometime. But rest assured, I will be back with a brush...
  3. P

Question About Weathering

Is this it? If so...I started by using an eraser to fade out the lettering, followed that up with an India ink / water wash ( it was too dark though ). The rusting was made by using artist acrylics, dark rust was burnt umber, and the orange rust was something I mixed up using yellow ochre...
  4. P

Local expo

I just joined my local mrr club and they attended a mrr expo this weekend in Kinston, NC. Their modular layout measures 54' X 24'. It is impressive. I was allowed to run my Conrail unit and the 5 cars I brought that I had weathered. My units were by far dirtier than most of theirs. I like the...
  5. P

Curved code 83 turnouts

Yeah Rex, I found them for a little bit less at the link you gave me. They are steep in price still. I was able to re-draw my layout using these instead, and to be honest, they look like they will work better. I was able to reduce the number of curved turnouts from 7 down to 4, and now I'm...
  6. P

Curved code 83 turnouts

Thanks Rex. Man, at $30 a pop I'll go broke. Peco code 100 I have found for $15, and the code 75 is a little less than that. I may have to rethink the code rail to build with. Bummer. Josh, thanks for the links. I have found slightly better pricing on other sites though. That one link wants...
  7. P

Curved code 83 turnouts

I didn't see any on their website. Are they in the catalog? I'm afraid if I lay my own I will like it, thereby creating another facet of the hobby I will labor to master;) Glenn
  8. P

Curved code 83 turnouts

Ummm, is there such a thing? I was planning to have a few on my layout but I can't find any anywhere. I designed the layout on XTrkCad and drew them from the Peco library (code 100, the was nothing for 83), and now I may a bit screwed. Shinohara has them for everything but code 83, and Peco has...
  9. P

Editing my profile

Click on user CP at the top of this page. Make whatever changes you want, and "bada bing" you have mail. Glenn
  10. P

My first loco attempt.

OOps, sorry about that, it's HO. I have a very bad habit of assuming everybody models in one scale. Thanks for the nice words Willis. Glenn
  11. P

Curved bridge/viaduct

Thanks David! Glenn
  12. P

My first loco attempt.

This is an Atlas Dash 8-40B that I purchased undecorated off of ebay. I am modeling modern day Norfolk Southern. With the absorbtion of their share of Conrail, they aquired all of the Conrail Dash 8-40B's. There weren't many of them, and most still wear their Conrail colors with NS patches. I...
  13. P

Foam, plywood or both?

Thanks for the replies. My benchwork is 1X4 spaced 16" and where it meets the walls, 2 screws in every stud. It isn't moving without pulling the walls down. I was leaning towards foam, but that kinda hampers installation of under table switch machines. It is cheaper though. I will just go with...
  14. P

Foam, plywood or both?

I've got the lower level benchwork in process, but have not really given much thought to the deck material, I figured I'd wait until the time came to make that decision. Guess what? It's time. I have seen and run on layouts where the deck was just plywood, and one where there is a layer of...
  15. P

Curved bridge/viaduct

Very nice. I will need more curve, any idea how tight a radius I can get? Like I said, it is around 30". I thought the track was pretty much straight on those ME kits. Does it allow for movement, say, to put a curve in it? Glenn
  16. P

Curved bridge/viaduct

I finaly started building my layout today. I have about half of the lower staging benchwork done and have to build my helix before I can start on the real fun stuff. I decided on making my layout with continuous running with a workable amount of switching, and with that I have a few different...
  17. P

Steam experts, help me I.D. this one

Thanks Nate. I am going to fix her up, along with the others I have. My layout will be modern, but I plan on a few steam days as well. That should be fun. As far as parts, I'll let you know when I get ready for the rebuild. Right now I have to save up for building the layout. I have just enough...
  18. P

Attaching metal stirrup to plastic boxcar...HELP!

I have used ACC (super glue) with excellent results. Once you have the pins cut flush, just apply a drop to each pin (from the inside of the car). The bond is almost instant and forever. Glenn
  19. P

Steam experts, help me I.D. this one

WOW RCH! Jackpot. Thanks alot! Not only is this the correct one, but I was able to identify a Pennsy 2-10-0 decapod also. Excellent info on that site. Thanks a ton! Glenn

Back