Search results

1. I

Prototype for Everything

http://www.nolancompany.com/Main/Rerailers/Rerailers.asp Permanent Rerailer. Though, this could also be filed under 'The Model Came First'. James
  2. I

3 foot gauge dimensions

Could someone direct me towards information about the track of narrow gauge? Weight of the rail, tie dimensions, tie spacing, things like that. Thank you. James
  3. I

Grain Unloading on a budget

I could see this place from the interstate, where I used to live, and they would occasionally see a three bay covered hopper spotted by it. It looked like just a regular warehouse, though it did have a couple silos by the track. On the occasions when the track was empty, I didn't see an...
  4. I

Aerial Photo Tour: RJ Corman Sand Train

I haven't chased this train yet, but I do have a few photos of the Lexington end. RJ Corman pulls a Sand Train from Louisville to Lexington, Kentucky, three to six days a week. Each train is 15 to 30 gondolas. The train is loaded at Nugent Sand, on the Ohio River: Nugent Sand, Google...
  5. I

Sand Facility

This facility is on the CSX in Georgia. The track itself is the remnant of the Atlanta and West Point mainline connection to the Georgia Railroad's Hulsey Yard. The Bing Bird's Eye view is here. With it, you can easily see that there is plenty of room for an entire unit train of sand. While...
  6. I

Granite Block Transload

In Elberton, Georgia, granite is mined in blocks rather than stones. This facility is on the CSX, obviously. The gantry crane/roof is about 60ft x 250ft. There is an open storage yard to the left, which is about 250ft x 250ft. The height of this one is probably about 40ft, but if...
  7. I

Plastic Manufacturing

This location was closed down, and evidently the car owner had forgotten where the two cars were at, and CSX didn't care either. The entire unloading area was paved, as any spills of plastic pellets are supposed to be cleaned up. There was a drain, however, so it isn't as important as...
  8. I

Untreated Crosstie Handling

This spur track is actually for a propane gas company, but I haven't seen any of those with a car of propane in ages, in my areas anyway. There is a plywood plant not far from this siding. I presume the middle of the tree is cut to size, and thrown into a gondola. You can barely make out...
  9. I

Modern Track Scale

This track scale is located on the Georgia Central Railway, which is now a Genessee and Wyoming Railroad. They predominately operate with a fleet of ex Southern high hood GE U23B's. It is named for Roy Thigpen, whom I understand was a SCL/SBD/CSX official that controlled the route. This scale...
  10. I

BOC Gas Transload

Hi, I posted this information originally on another forum, but that place is a ghost town, and this one isn't. This is a simple transload area. The placards on the cars indicate a carbon dioxide refridgerated liquid, I don't know which one. It could even be just plain Carbon Dioxide...
  11. I

Coupler suggestions for a 5 year old

Hi. I'm planning on setting up a table for my son to run trains on. I'm going to get out my old Athearn and Bachmann sets, and whatever else I've collected over the years. Does anyone have recommendations for a standard coupler, which may stand up to rough operation? Right now they're...

Back