Search results

1. BN8002

Passenger v Freight?

Being set in the early 80's..I'm limited to Amtrak or employee specials..but passenger ops never really lit my fire anyway. My layout now doesn't have the room, and I don't plan on making room for it when I get a larger space. I wouldn't mind having a couple BN passenger cars for a special but...
  2. BN8002

Locomotive Storage

What doesn't fit on my layout I either keep them in the original boxes or put them in the A-Line boxes. My custom stuff that doesn't see the layout gets displayed in a cabinet in my living room. It was my moms old China hutch that I converted into a liquor cabinet/display cabinet.
  3. BN8002

Switching or Mainline Layout...or Both?

I mainly enjoy industrial switching and yard transfers so I designed my layout around that. I didn't have a ton of room anyway so this fit my space best. Ideally I'd like to have some continuous running and my next layout will have that capability but the main focus will still be switching and...
  4. BN8002

ATSF Caboose

Thank you..I shot the wheels with rust on the faces..I shot the trucks with black and dry brushed rust on the high points..then hit them with floquil dust.
  5. BN8002

ATSF Caboose

I never looked into that. Key is usually pretty good with their research so I took it for granted. I know my dad never noticed and wouldn't care so it'll stay as is. Thank you for the heads up though.
  6. BN8002

ATSF Caboose

This is a HO Key Imports brass #2201 Class Flat Side caboose that I painted for my dad for his birthday. I added a details west antenna to the roof and used plastic slide covers for window glazing. I used tru-color paint for the car body, and floquil for the trucks, under frame, wheels...
  7. BN8002

Question about operation session

Generally speaking, most goods won't be shipped by rail between two industries in the same town..trucks will handle that..so your goods are going to generate at industries off layout or the will generate on your layout and be shipped to another location across the state or country. I use a...
  8. BN8002

My newest B-Unit

Thank you sir
  9. BN8002

My newest B-Unit

Thank you sir.
  10. BN8002

My newest B-Unit

I'm assuming you mean the vents where the cab used to be..yes..they moved the dynamics up front because they would stay cooler up there because it got them away from the prime mover.
  11. BN8002

My newest B-Unit

I've seen the ATSF SD45-2B's in real life but never any of the BN conversions
  12. BN8002

My newest B-Unit

Love the soo version
  13. BN8002

My newest B-Unit

This is my newest B-unit. BN 7600 SD40B. Was later sold to the SOO who had it on their roster atleast until 2009. Started as an athearn RTR SD40. Added styrene and cannon doors to the short hood and moved the dynamics to the short hood. I modified a non dynamic cover for a blue box athearn...
  14. BN8002

Spring Break and Tax Season, Affect You???

Spring break doesn't have any effect on my modeling. I did my taxes back in early February and I always get a refund because I plan it that way. But that money goes for other projects generally. Though I did use a little bit of it this year to buy some old number boards from BN and MILW...
  15. BN8002

Conrail Rolling Stock

Well there you go...I didn't follow BN equipment after the merger but that makes sense. And I think a lot of BN 40' boxes were also in MOW service with their roof walks intact up to the merger date and beyond.
  16. BN8002

Conrail Rolling Stock

I know BN still had a fair number of 40' boxes on the roster into the 90's. They used them to haul grain and lumber. Generally speaking though, most standard 40 and 50 foot box cars hauled LCL freight, lumber, grain, food, etc. a lot of cars would also be labeled "for food service only" The...
  17. BN8002

Best way to ballast

For the polymeric sand I used window screen stretched over a 2x2 frame that i built and I sifted the larger stuff out..which i set aside to use for rocks later. As with any natural product you use, i then ran a magnet through the material to remove any iron. TO find the gray I had to go down...
  18. BN8002

Best way to ballast

I'm actually using techni seal polymeric sand on my layout. They have it in a few colors. I'm using the gray and I really like it so far. It has a water activated polymer in it so all you have to do is law the ballast out how you want it and drip/spray water on it..the water activated the...
  19. BN8002

cheap paints

Awesome. Thanks for the heads up. I usually watch the "oops" paint rack at lowes and home depot for greens and browns. I've walked away with a lot of paint for the layout that way.
  20. BN8002

Have you ever thought you picked the wrong road

I've never regretted my decision on who I model until I decided to backdate a little and include every railroad in the area I want to model. But I only regret it from a financial standpoint because I'm going to have to buy a bunch of locomotives and paint them. But as time has gone on more and...

Back