Search results

1. davidpen

A New entry in my Gentle Model Railroads blog

There is a new update on my Gentle Model Railroad blog. Here I describe my process in getting the boards made for the new HO layout. Check out my first attempt at stop framing!
  2. davidpen

I am back with my blog but HO this time

Hi everyone. Not been around for a few years since I lost my hobby room when my mother-in-law came to stay (she is 97!). Having struggled to get a few layouts going, I have finally settled on a 7' long HO switching layout. If you would like to see all of my history - it goes back to 2009 -...
  3. davidpen

Freight Car Routing - My university project moves on

I am busy working away on the project. Although it is, supposedly, a software project, the University sees it as a project report. I am expecting to have a working prototype to accord to the the original design once the course ends but the University deliverable is a 10,000 word report. To help...
  4. davidpen

Avoiding my wife's complaints

I have been model railroading since the mid-50s but almost never had a fully working layout. Something always gets in the way. As I am now retired and building a railroad "properly" my wife demanded(!!) that I have some people:-) To stop the trouble, I not only have people but I also have cows!
  5. davidpen

My University Project - please check my car allocations to industries

Hi everyone. My project is moving on. I have now put together a list of the industries on my layout with the cars that would be serviced at each. However, I would like some ideas as to what I have missed. Can you go to the Test Layout page of my project web site and have a look at my ideas...
  6. davidpen

Help with my University project - Freight Car Routing for Model Railroads

Hi everyone. I am currently on my last module to complete a B.Sc. Hons. at The Open University. I am studying "The Computing and IT Project". Well, it is not so much studying as we have to design and complete a project of our own design. I have decided to create a tablet based system that...
  7. davidpen

Sound on a DCC Nscale switching layout

I have a small 5' x 1'3" layout (see my blog at http://www.gmrblog.co.uk). I have two of the new Bachmann 44ton switchers and I operate using a Lenz Compact controller. I do have a have a much more sophisticated controller on my main HO layout if need be. I have seen an advert for the...
  8. davidpen

Custom decals - where to go

I am sure that this has been asked before but I can't find anything in the search. I am modelling a 1945 circa short line and need to decal up the locos, coaches and caboose. I have a colour laser printer but I want the decals to be white so I need someone with a ALPS or that makes normal...
  9. davidpen

Craftsman Coach Kits - help!

I am building a small 10' x 8' HO short line railroad, circa 1945 - inspired by 'Mixed Train Daily' by Lucius Beebe. In a fit of enthusiasm, or stupidity, I bought 2 La Belle and 1 NorthEastern coach/combine kits. Having opened them, I can see that I am going to need some advice. I am...
  10. davidpen

Replacing Bachmann 44-ton N Scale Couplers

I have just started a small switching layout in N Scale - and I have two Bachmann 44 Ton GE switchers. These are the latest ones with DCC fitted. I find that the couplers don't work too well but I have made it worse. I ran one of the locos off the end of the layout, while I was testing the DCC...

Back