Search results

1. H

Unusual addition

Anyone here have one of these on their layout? New York Central Railroad. The image above is of the work pit of a railroad “hot box” inspector! Passenger trains, as well as freight trains coming into the station complex, had to slow sufficiently for the switching ahead. They had been running...
  2. H

Nostalgia..What do you remember

I can remember buying 5 gallons of gas for a dollar! Herman
  3. H

OK, who'll be the first to try this on their layout?

Yes the handcar one. I didn't mean to cause any confusion, but I was hesitant to post just the picture (afraid it didn't give proper credit to the owner), so I just posted the link to the page. Figured everyone would know it was the first one, being railroad related. I found it funny - a...
  4. H

OK, who'll be the first to try this on their layout?

http://news.yahoo.com/comics/non-sequitur-slideshow/
  5. H

In a moment of weakness, I succumbed to temptation!

Well, I'm not real familiar with the genealogy of the older locomotives, but without taking them all apart, I have deduced this much. The blue Pacific is a John A. English model. I have the original instruction sheet with it. Looks complete. The 0-6-0 is a MDC. This is the only one with a...
  6. H

In a moment of weakness, I succumbed to temptation!

Found this bunch of stuff in a thrift shop the other day. All diecast stuff except the little 0-6-0. All have motors and a couple of spares. Tested the motors and they all run. Knowing it's all old school stuff and that the last thing I needed was more projects, I broke down and gave $100...
  7. H

GM Locomotives cover or plate?

Years ago, I had to maintain several of the old switchers and a couple of cranes. All the GE's had a dash light like that. The covers themselves varied some but I have seen that particular one before. If I'm able to insert an image here, this is a picture I found of a GE. Herman
  8. H

GM Locomotives cover or plate?

There is a recessed light bulb in the loco "dash board", like a household 40 or 60 watt bulb, but usually 24 volts. The plate shown mounts over it on short stand offs, leaving a gap all around the edge. When the light is on, it radiates out through the gap all around and shines light across...
  9. H

Brass track, is it so bad?

I ran a 5 x 10 layout for several years in South Louisiana with lots of track and turnouts, all brass. Had no problems and rarely cleaned it. I wouldn't hesitate to use it again. But talk about a real PITA, I built a 4x8 a couple of years ago, for the grandkids to play with, using brand new...
  10. H

Bachmann Parts??

I bought a bunch of geared diesel axles from them for F-7 (or 9, I don't remember). About a fourth of them came with cracked gears. I called Bachman to inform them and they said they'd send replacements. About 3 weeks later, I got them. One of that bunch was cracked. These were N Scale...
  11. H

talk about a find !!!! w0w

You guys are indeed correct. I was confused (age related?) with my facts and should have verified before posting. Sorry, Herman
  12. H

talk about a find !!!! w0w

Spitfires used a lot of plywood in their construction. The wings, especially were wood.
  13. H

Where to go - Coupler conversions

I'm planning on purchasing a sizeable quantity of MictoTrains coupler conversions online. Where's the best place to go that would be most likely to have everything I need - and of course, at the best price? Thanks in advance. Herman
  14. H

metal vs plastic wheel sets

So, where's the place to go for wheelsets? NWSL? And, who makes the truck tuner? Herman
  15. H

metal vs plastic wheel sets

What way do most people go? Just buy wheelsets in bulk and put in their existing trucks or replace the entire truck? Herman
  16. H

Jerome's Switcher Roster

I've got one of those in Burlington Northern. I'm scraping up some material, I'm going to make a new brass frame for it and use a pair of Atlas/Roco trucks. Probably make new wire handrails. I'm looking forward to getting started, but probably won't be real soon. Herman
  17. H

dead old bachmann 2-8-0.

Just today, I walked into Bachman's building here in Philly with three N Scale steam loco's that quit running long, long ago. For the three junkers and $45.00 I walked out with a brand new 4-8-4, a new 2-6-2, and a new 0-6-0. The guy put the three new ones on the track to test run them for me...

Back