Search results

1. Beachbum

Textured spray paint that doesn't eat foam?

Anybody know of a textured rattle can paint that doesn't attack foam aside from the "faux granite" stuff? I found some sand texture, earthtone paint that I wanted to use for some scenery, but a test showed it dissolved the extruded foam I'm using.
  2. Beachbum

CN (ex-EJE) Signal Question

I've asked about this on other forums, but haven't seen a clear answer, so: At Normantown on the Leithton Sub, northbound, two main tracks converge to single track. Each main has a signal mast with 3 heads - on top is a 3-light head, in the middle is a 1-light head and at the bottom there is...
  3. Beachbum

Spacing tool for parallel mains?

I'm curious what people use to maintain consistent spacing between tracks on parallel mainlines - eyeball it, with or without guidelines drawn on the roadbed? Straight-edge? Hunk of wood cut to fit between ends of ties? Block with a couple notches cut into it that fit over one rail of each...
  4. Beachbum

Repower old Athearn engines?

I have 8 older Athearn engines. They served well, but they've been sitting in boxes for a couple years and now they're really growling and buzzing with the exception of one. With all the advances and improvements in engines, I wonder if it's worth my time to try tuning them or even repowering...
  5. Beachbum

2-bay covered hopper loads?

Aside from frac sand, cement and possibly roofing granules, what do modern 2-bay covered hoppers carry? Thanks!
  6. Beachbum

027 Engine sources?

I model in HO, dabble in N, but I'm looking for a 3-rail engine that can handle 027 curves that my grandkids can run. I have several cars and a transformer from old "Christmas" trainsets. Any suggestions on a good source for engines not in trainsets? I'm looking for relatively inexpensive...
  7. Beachbum

Woodchip gons?

Is Walthers no longer making the modern 80-ft (?) woodchip gons? I'm having a hard time finding any.
  8. Beachbum

3-Rail 027 Engine Source?

* wrong forum *
  9. Beachbum

Analysis paralysis

I recently walled off a section of my basement for a trainroom that's about 14ft X 14ft. DW is thrilled that my shelf switcher is now out of the loft, but I digress... I had planned to do an (HO) around-the-walls so I could occasionally let 'em run pointlessly for the grandkids, but that would...
  10. Beachbum

Spurs / customers on a switching layout?

Lately, I've been pondering the number and size of industries / customers on medium-sized switching layouts. There are proto examples for both, but what do you think "works" better - several small industries so you can switch a variety of cars or fewer (maybe just one) large industry or...
  11. Beachbum

Shortage of Atlas Code 83 flex?

Seems like there's a shortage of Atlas C83 HO flex. True or false? I've heard mumbles here and there, but couldn't find a full discussion anywhere. Thanks.
  12. Beachbum

Question for doorminoe users

I was planning on using extruded foam "benchwork" with masonite splice plates at joints when I expand my hollow core door shelf switcher to an around-the-walls. But my neighbor just started a remodeling project and gave me 8 sets of flat panel bi-fold hollow core doors. They're not perfect...
  13. Beachbum

For those of you using traversers

What was your construction method? Drawer slide/glide hardware? Plywood on plywood with Teflon tape between the traverser table and base? Or ??? Thanks!
  14. Beachbum

Dual mode (DC/DCC) sound?

I noticed a review in MR on an HO switcher that comes with a dual-mode sound board. I'm running DC for now and I'm curious if anybody has experience running dual-mode engines on DC and eventually switching to DCC. Good, bad, sound quality, etc. The review did say that DC only has prime...
  15. Beachbum

Beveling camper top tape?

Can camper top tape be beveled? Saw some at my local Ace and I'm considering trying it for roadbed, but I'm wondering if profiles have to be built up with caulk / ballast / etc. Thanks.
  16. Beachbum

Woo hoo!

The CIC suggested that I finish a portion of my basement so I could expand my shelf switcher. I suspect she just wants my layout out of the family room / loft, but what the heck. Anyway, I'll have about 12X14 unless I get carried away. I'm a big fan of Lance Mindheim's and David Barrow's...
  17. Beachbum

Lauan, foam, lauan sandwich?

Over the years, I've built benchwork from plywood and Homasote, extruded foam alone, extruded foam glued to hollow core doors, etc. I want to build some light weight layout sections and I'm thinking of laying out a grid of 1X2s, attaching a layer of thin lauan (luan?) on top of that, then...
  18. Beachbum

Non-Athearn handrails for Athearn SW1500 (HO)?

Anybody have a pointer to non-Athearn handrails for an Athearn HO SW1500? :confused: I can find the stock wire handrails at several places, but I'd prefer more realistic stanchions. Thanks!
  19. Beachbum

What do you use to cast modern steel building wall panels?

Or do most people just use sheet styrene? I bought one background bldg kit from Walthers but I'm thinking that I could fabricate a bunch of wall panels for much less. How about older brick walls? Seems to me that gluing (?) plaster castings together would be a pain.
  20. Beachbum

IKEA bookcases / cabinets in latest MRP?

Anybody know what the name or model number is for the IKEA cabinets / bookcases that are being used on the Carolina shelf switcher in the 2011 issue of Model Railroad Planning? Couldn't find them in the online catalog. Since I've moved my shelf layout to my loft, I've decided I want...

Back