Search results

1. Brakie

Modeling Modern Short Lines.

Let's discuss modeling modern short lines from spin offs and mergers. What defines a modern short line? These railroads are the result of the Staggers act that deregulated the railroad industry and lead to many marginal profit lines being lease or sold to short lines or Port Authorities...
  2. Brakie

What ThinkYe?

A friend of mine is giving up being a logger and wants to move into the 60s. His druthers is he wants a unique roster..My thoughts went to the GB&W(Green Bay & Western) all Alco roster and suggested using RS2s,RS3,RS11s,RS27s,RS32s and maybe C424s or C425s.As yard switchers I suggested S2s or...
  3. Brakie

Good Friday Railfan Trip Part 2.

After leaving Tiffin and checking around Fostoria we proceeded to Willard where we took the following photos.There wasn't to many locomotives in this area. We then moved on to Huron.
  4. Brakie

Good Friday Railfan Trip..Part 1.

Yesterday my friend Mike and I spent the day railfaning..The trip included stops in Tiffin,Fostoria,Willard,Huron,Sandusky and Bellevue.Oddly no pictures was taken in Fostoria as we were scouting for locations to take pictures for our return trip we did see 12 trains in 2 hours not including the...
  5. Brakie

Exciting Times In Bucyrus!

This morning around 6 AM I heard a distant rumble and thought it was odd because the temperature was 29 degrees and way to cold for a thunderstorm..When I started on my walk this morning I notice a train blocking the crossings..So,I decided to investigate.Heres what I found in the Benson yard...
  6. Brakie

Modeling A Shortline.Part 1.

In this discussion we will be discussing class 3 short lines and not "paper" short lines that is own and operated by Class 1 railroads using their equipment. First what is a class three short line? By ARR railroad classification a Class 3 railroad is: A railroad with an annual operating...
  7. Brakie

Choosing And Naming Industries.(Advanced)

Choosing and naming industries is as important as choosing a road name. The first basic questions we should ask our selves is: A.Where is our railroad located? You see the types of industries we choose should be the type we find in the area that we are modeling.If our railroad serves (say)...
  8. Brakie

Huron River

Huron River RR. This is the newest CDB Industries short line..This line runs from Huron,Oh to Barberton,Oh 74 miles.Commodities haul: Gain,Food stuffs,sugar,corn syrup,corn starch,steel,scrap,plastic pellets,scrap rubber,lumber,roofing,cardboard stock chemicals and other Commodities..Total of...
  9. Brakie

The Bucyrus Railfan Part 2.

First up is a picture of the Benson yard..These cars are being held for Transco a contract car repair and rebuilder. Second up.We have return to Col-San and caught this NS train about to rattle the diamonds. Followed by another NS train. Part 3 to follow later.
  10. Brakie

The Bucyrus Railfan Part One.

I thought I would start off a series of Bucyrus Railfan pictures by setting the scene. First we see both T&OC stations..Then a little farther North we see the old T&OC/NYC bridge across Mansfield Street.Then we see the former PRR/PC/CR Now NS bridge to the right then looking toward the West we...
  11. Brakie

Old Lefty Is Sill At It.

Here is some projects I finished over the last 3 days. First up is a Atlas GP38.I added the side mount bell, sun shades,end rails,painted the fuel tanks and truck side frame.As you can see my Polly S Enchantment Blue didn't match the Enchantment Blue that Atlas used so,some weathering is in...
  12. Brakie

0-6-0T Oil Burner Question..

Guys,I will be getting a Spectrum 0-6-0T and was wondering if this could be converted to a oil burner(gotta cut labor cost) and what parts will I need? I haven't detailed a steamer since I built a MDC 2 Truck Shay back in 91/92.
  13. Brakie

Which Name?

First I got a Spectrum GE 70 tonner and now I need to choose a nice road name.I can get the decals from Champ..This short line is 6.5 miles long and serves a industrial park.Of course its owned by CDB Industries and connects with my C&HV. Here is the list..Which do you like? 1.BEAVER CREEK...
  14. Brakie

Some Random N Scale Thoughts

As I was looking over this months new releases from Atlas,Athearn and Micro-Trains my thoughts turn to the 80s when I had a N Scale door layout and was using Atlas GP9s,Bachmann GP40s and F7s,AHM RSD15s and a Mini Trix FM switcher and repido couplers.N Scale was still growing as far as new...
  15. Brakie

A Toughie

Guys,I am helping a very good friend design a N Scale layout on a 36" x72" hollow core door and as of now we are stumped and need help. The wants. 1.A small 3-4 track yard. 2.A Small town area with 2-3 industries. 3.A power plant /mine loads in/empties out. The first two is the easy...
  16. Brakie

Layout Designs..Food for Thought.

I thought it would be nice if we looked at advanced layout designing..This is meant to be food for thought and something that might help on the next layout.. First what is advanced layout designing? That is designing a layout above the basic loop that comes with a train set or a loop of track...

Back