Search results

1. F

New Layout (Switching)

Well I haven't posted here in awhile, life has been busy over the past year with a move from Western NY to Denver CO but now that we are settled in it is time for me to start my first layout. The primary focus is for it to be a fun to operate switching layout, a little generic in era/location...
  2. F

Questions for the Denver/Colorado Modelers

Well it's been a couple weeks since I have posted on the forum as I have been incredibly busy with everyday life crap but as of yesterday the wife and I have finally finished our move from Syracuse NY to Denver. I'm looking for advice on things to do, places to see both railroad related as well...
  3. F

Railfaning in a new town

Well after getting situated after a move and dealing with the heatwave we have been having I decided to get out and do some railfaning. Of course it had to turn overcast and then start to rain but I feel I got some decent shots in. Let me know what you think guys! First up are two tank cars...
  4. F

Inspiration from the prototype, need design advice

Well I am moving into my new place next month and will finally have some room for a much anticipated layout and am looking for some help in the design process. My goal is a small HO scale shelf switching layout, similar to what Lance Mindheim has achieved with his two layouts. I really like the...
  5. F

What magazines do you buy?

Train related of course:p The reason I ask is my subscription to Model Railroader is up for renewal and I think it's time to move on. I just don't find the magazine that interesting or useful enough to justify spending the money again. I figure I can always buy a single issue if it contains...
  6. F

MR's 2008 Great Model Railroads

Do any of you guys have this issue and are willing to do me a little favor? Lance Mindheim's railroad, the East Rail, was featured and I am wondering if the article lists what number turnouts he used and what radius he used. A scan or even someone willing to sell it for cheep would be great as...
  7. F

If you were switching roads

Hey guys, I'm just wondering if you were going to start over again would you still model your current road or would you choose someone else?:p I'm a big Conrail fan, but If I was switching roads I would have a hard time choosing between the Soo Line in the late 80's, or the modern day Western...
  8. F

Another Idea, thoughts?

With it being so cold out I have been spending a lot of time researching and figuring out what I want in my first layout. I thought I had what I wanted in a layout design Here in my previous thread but I think I have had a change of heart. After looking at other Model railroader's Urban themed...
  9. F

Need your opinions on my design

Hey guys, I finally figured out how much room I have to build my layout as well as figuring out what the heck I wanted to model and this is what I have come up with. I borrowed some of the design from MR's Beer line but I adapted it and changed it to suit my needs. What I am going for is a late...
  10. F

Battle of the GP15-1s

Alright guys, looking for a little advice and a little help. I want to pick up a gp15-1 as Conrail had a ton of these and it seems like there are two choices. First up is the Walthers proto 1000 gp15-1 which can be had for ~$80 but judging from pictures it seems to lack alot of detail. Anyone...
  11. F

Question on modern rebuilds (gp38-3)

Can anyone tell me the specifics of what a gp38-3 is? I can't seem to find any solid info but are these just rebuilt/detuned gp40s? I would also like any info pertaining to other modern rebuilds like NS's SD40e's, CSX SD50-2's, GP40-3's. Thanks in advance guys.
  12. F

Some noob Benchwork questions

Ok, I am ready to build my layout I designed, found here, and I need some help to make sure I don't make a dumb mistake :) The keys to my layout are being as light and portable as I will be moving a bunch over the next few years. I have figured out how I am going to make the legs/support setup...
  13. F

Quick DCC wire question

I am in the process of hooking up the front and rear lights in an Athearn RTR gp38-2 and after studying the wiring diagram for my NCE D13srJ and I need to splice into my Blue light common wire so I can hook up both lights. I am wondering what gauge and type wire I should use and where you guys...
  14. F

Athearn RTR gp35

I am looking at picking up one or two of these in the Conrail scheme and I want some feedback on them. I haven't been able to hold one in person but how accurate are the shells and how is the detail? Anyone add sound to theres? Also if you want to share pictures of your gp35's that would also be...
  15. F

Need some Opinions on my new design

Well after my other layout design thread I decided I needed to go back to the drawing board. I figured out exactly how much room I have to work with and decided what the focus of my rail road would be. It is going to be a shelf style layout and this is the list of what I wanted it to have"...
  16. F

Adding DCC to Athearn BB/RTR

I have an Athearn BB GP40-2 and 3 of the newer RTR Athearn GP38-2s with the crew frying headlights. I need to convert these to dcc and am wondering if anyone knows of a write up or wants to explain the best way to do this.
  17. F

Pin Vises

I want to add some grab irons to my locos and I need to pick up a pin vise, only problem is I don't know what to look for in one. They seem pretty straight forward but I would hate to waste money on some piece of crap. Micromark has 7 or 8 different units they sell and all are within a few bucks...
  18. F

Athearn BB Loco questions

I have an Athearn blue box Gp40-2 and a blue box sw1500 that have the metal handrails with the individual uprights and I am wondering if Athearn offers these in a plastic set that I can buy. According to the pamphlet that came with Gp40-2 they seem to use the same handrails as Athearns Gp38, is...
  19. F

Soldering Iron questions

I want to get a soldering iron so I can add DCC decoders to my loco's and solder feeds to my track but I'm a little lost as I have never soldered anything before. I'm looking for recomendations on what I need to look for in an iron, what kinds of flux/solder to use and any tips or techniques...
  20. F

Quick Coupler and Glue questions

Well all the rain that has fallen in this area it has given me a few days off of work so I want to put together a couple of my Athearn Blue Box kits but I have 2 questions. Is the testors glue in the orange metal tube what I should be using to attach brake wheels? Also what is the easiest/proper...

Back