Search results

1. S

Decoder Functions

I have a question about light fuctions. I have a number of SP units with full light packages front and rear. What decoders would someone recomend and the number of functions the decoder has to operate the lights?
  2. S

post your model RR tips........

A tip I have is for most of the detailed locomotives. With the detail and plows on the front of most locomotives makes standard Kadee couplers (#5's & #148's) semi-difficult for a proper coupling of gladhands of freight cars and fronts of other locomotives. An answer I tried and found some...
  3. S

WTB SCL/L&N, Family Lines SD40-2 also for Missouri Pacific SD40-2 6000 series

I am still looking for any Intermountain/Athearn RTR SD40-2's from the following railroads. SCL/L&N, Family Lines and Missouri Pacific 6000 series that have the dynamic brakes and lose nose gyra-lights.
  4. S

WTB Intermountain SD40-2 L&N/Family Lines SCL/L&N

I am looking for HO Scale Intermoutain Railway.
  5. S

WTB Intermountain SD40-2 L&N/Family Lines SCL/L&N

WTB either by individual or if they know a hobby shop that has them a pair of Intermountain SD40-2 L&N/Family Lines SCL/L&N with the full frontal light package . I will also be open to Athearn RTR SD40-2's as well.
  6. S

NMRA cheat sheet

I use to have a sheet that allowed a car length that would go from say 40-45 feet set at a certain length and would go up from there. Does anyone know of such a sheet so I can work on correct weight to car length ratios?
  7. S

Resistor equipped wheels

I am looking to convert my freight cars over for use on clubs that have ctc operations. I was told to either place the resistors on myself. (not easy with oncome of arthritis) or use resistor equipped wheels by Jaybee Wheels. I went to their page and found that the 33" wheels with resistors...
  8. S

Fox Valley GP-60 DC unit to DCC

I recently purchased an Fox Valley Models GP-60 in Norfolk Southern. I purchased it in DC/DCC ready mode. I am asking if anyone who has one of these models can recommend what decoder to use with this locomotive?
  9. S

DCC Decoder for a P-42

I just purchased a Kato GE P-42 locomotive in DC standard w/o sound and want to know what decoder anyone who has one would suggest for maximum use of the locomotive?
  10. S

Kato Cab/Coach car couplers

I am starting to work on my Kato Pullman Standard Cab/Coach & Coach cars in Amtrak and need to know if anyone can suggest what Kadee couplers to use on the cars since they have such long shanks?
  11. S

Tower 55 ES44AC?

If it helps, there is a video on You Tube showing how to fix a T55 drive. I not one to go into details, but if this helps I am happier to put this to you all
  12. S

Model Railroad News article on circut board for the Athearn Genesis Bay Window Caboos

I remember there being an article in Model Railroad News on the Athearn Genesis Southern Pacific Bay Window Caboose series and how to install a basic circuit in the non-lighted units. Does anyone have a copy of that article or have a way that it can be brought up?
  13. S

SD-90/43 Macs and SD-70ace?

I was just looking at the Golden Spike Tower webpage camera for the Pocatello Yard and saw a number of SD-90/43 Macs in what looks like the dead line and 2 of the SD-70ace's of the Heritage Fleet (MKT and DRGW) also in what looks like the dead line. Does anyone have any information on either...
  14. S

schnabel cars

You should go to Youtube and put schnable car and you should find some footage of schnable car movement. It will will give you good idea what a set up is.
  15. S

The High Cost of Model Railroading

I was working for one of the San Francisco Hobby Shops and could see the prices of the Brass trains climbing up and up with every new order. When I saw the Kato models and said to myself "This is the death knell for brass" I was somewhat right, but now am wondering if this steady price...
  16. S

Railroad Photo Image program?

I have uploaded the RR model train inventory from wonderful information given here. I now need a photo program to upload to put photos with the inventory I have. Does anyone have any leads?
  17. S

Transfer Cabooses

Not sure if someone has talked about this before, but has anyone seen when they were still around a transfer caboose. I have read of the various roads that had them. I just recently purchased a Custom Brass N-6a PC/CR transfer caboose and wanted to know if they were also used in local service...
  18. S

Athearn VS Atlas

For me I have always been a mixed runner of Atlas and Athearn. This minds you goes back to when the first 40-2's were BB and they matched perfectly with the Atlas. I have not tried to run any of the current ones due to lack of layout or club to run at.
  19. S

Athearn's Latest Price Increases: Im out...

I am the same way on most of the Athearn now built. I will look for clearence sales and resales on the various sites. Brand new, no way!!!!
  20. S

what do you use to uncouple?

Rix uncoupler here as well

Back