Search results

1. J

Hand Made Conifers Add Realistic Scenery

:DHi Jack from Star, Idaho. A while back in a post I said I had torn out a great deal of my railroad simply because I didn't like it. Here are a few photos showing some of the rebuilt part and especially home made trees using furnace filter, dowels, and a little practice. I plan to show a lot...
  2. J

Bachmann Spectrum Climax

::Hi Jack from Star, Idaho. I just sent back to Bachmann a Spectrum three truck Shay for replacement. They told me Bachmann is no longer making the Shay locomotive. I was told that they are replacing it with a two truck Climax. My question is what problems are there, if any, with the Climax. The...
  3. J

Track Cleaning

Hi Jack from Star, Idaho. I have been out of the loop for awhile but I,m back to railroading. I read an artical about a product called No-Ox ID. Everything that I have read sounds great and possibly the best way to clean track for top performance. The question I have is there anyone out...
  4. J

Trestle Update

Hi Jack from Star, Idaho. Here are a few photos of the trestle I am building. The top deck in the photo is not installed and I have not installed the barrels. The top deck has metal railings and 1mm red LED's on both sides as aircraft markers. Plus I added LED flood lights to shine on the...
  5. J

Trestle Update

[B][Jack from Star, Idaho. Well here goes my first photos! Pictured are some photos of my large trestle (Seven feet four inches). I tried some lighting effect to create a late afternoon sun. The deck is finished but I was not able to place it on yet since the bents have not been glued in place...
  6. J

New Train

Jack from Star, Idaho. As we get older HO guage seems to get harder to see for some reason. We now have smaller guages "N & Z but leave it to the Japanese to come up with the world's smallest train. The train was introduced at a train show in 2007. I found this on the net through a link and it...
  7. J

wooden trestle

Jack from Star Idaho. I started a new project which is going to be pretty cool. I am going to build a large trestle that will measure 88 actual inches in length. :eek: The question I have is "What would be the proper spacing needed for the bents?" Anyone out there have any suggestions?
  8. J

Chooch 204s manual switch throw

Caboose 204s manual switch throw Hi Jack from Star, Idaho. I was looking at the Caboose 204s standing target manual switch throw and it mentions that on the lantern you can get red and green jewels as a seperate item. However, I can't seem to find them. Is there anyone out there that has...
  9. J

Tortoise Switch Machines for sale

Hi, Jack from Star Idaho here with a good bargain. I have 12 Tortoise switch machines that I am not going to use on my layout. Also included is a switch drilling jig. The price is $100 for the lot plus shipping. Flat shipping is $10.20. This is a real bargan. All the switches work but have...
  10. J

Tortoise Switch Machines

Hi, Jack from Star Idaho here with a good bargain. I have 12 Tortoise switch machines that I am not going to use on my layout. Also included is a switch drilling jig. The price is $100 for the lot plus shipping. This is a real bargan. All the switches work but have been installed and they...
  11. J

Dead Atlas Frogs

Hi Jack from Star, Idaho. I know everyone has complained about the dead spots on the Atlas switches. Especially the # 6 and #8. Every time you run a short wheel base locomotive it hesitates or stalls. Now I can see reversing the polarity if you are running DC but what can a guy do for a DCC...
  12. J

The Ideal Model Railroad Store

Just thought I would throw something out their to railroaders new to the hobby and those with lots of experience under their belts. What would you like to see in the ideal model railroad retail store? Keep in mind this would take into account those just getting started and those just needing...
  13. J

12VDC latching relay

Hi, Jack from Star Idaho. I have been trying to find a supplier for a simple 12VDC latching relay but I have not had a lot of luck. Does anyone know where I can find these at an economical price? Need Help!
  14. J

Bnsf c44-9w

Jack again from Star, Idaho. I am still looking for another BNSF C44-9W Heritage Shell, blue box kit, non working locomotive. Is there anyone out there that might have one laying around that you would like to get rid of? I need to replace one that crashed to the concrete floor (Ouch!).
  15. J

BNSF dummy engines

Hi, Jack again from Star, Idaho. Would anyone have an idea where I could buy some BNSF SD70 or similar dummy engines? I want some multiple consists but I really don't need all the units to be powered. I would like to find them in the newer orange and black schene but orange and green would be...
  16. J

A few early photos

Hi, Jack again from Star, Idaho. I have been working on my layout for a couple of years now and I want to share a couple of photos. My theme is the Pacific Northwest and what you will see is some early shots of my progress. A few of the pictures are from Levonworth Washington which is a...
  17. J

Spruce trees

Hi this is Jack again from Star, Idaho. My layout is the Pacific Northwest and thus far I have put about 1,000 assorted trees in place. I have used Bachmann Spruce, conifers, cedars and JTT spruce. I still need to purchase a considerable amount of trees and I was wondering if anyone knows...
  18. J

NCE Pro Cab

I have an NCE DCC system with the Pro Cab throttles. Recently I purchased a MTH SD70 ace which runs and sounds great. I have been told that NCE now has the standard wired Pro Cab with 29 function control (info from Tony's Trains). Doing research I find that only the Pro Cab R (radio...
  19. J

Steel viaduct bridge bents

Hi this is Jack Strong and I am looking for tall Steel bents for a bridge that I already have. I need a height of 15 inches to 16 inches or at least one that can be cut down to size or built up with stone footing supports. Anyone out there know of a good source or a plan to build two of these?
  20. J

blue line 4-8-4

I have a new blue line 4-8-4 and it runs and sounds great! I would highly reccommend it. However, even though the specs say it will run on a minimum 18 inch radius the front four wheels jump the track on 22 inch radius curves. Is there some sort of adjustment that can be done to cure this...

Back