Search results

1. J

Hand Made Conifers Add Realistic Scenery

:DHi Jack from Star, Idaho. A while back in a post I said I had torn out a great deal of my railroad simply because I didn't like it. Here are a few photos showing some of the rebuilt part and especially home made trees using furnace filter, dowels, and a little practice. I plan to show a lot...
  2. J

Bachmann Spectrum Climax

::Hi Jack from Star, Idaho. I just sent back to Bachmann a Spectrum three truck Shay for replacement. They told me Bachmann is no longer making the Shay locomotive. I was told that they are replacing it with a two truck Climax. My question is what problems are there, if any, with the Climax. The...
  3. J

Anyone know how to make your own wildgrass?

Field Grass Hi Jack from Star, Idaho. Fabric stores carry fake fur that is pretty cheap. You can dye the fur using clothing dye (Ritz) green, yellow, tan, etc. just pick a color. Once the fur has dried you can comb or brush it up and glue into place. I saw this on a video by Joe Fugate and...
  4. J

Track Cleaning

Hi Jack from Star, Idaho. I have been out of the loop for awhile but I,m back to railroading. I read an artical about a product called No-Ox ID. Everything that I have read sounds great and possibly the best way to clean track for top performance. The question I have is there anyone out...
  5. J

Trestle Update

Trestle Jig I bought a jig from Black Bear Construction. The jig is very high quality and a must when you have a lot of bents to build. I will have 44 when I am finished. If you plan to build a trestle bridge use a jig because each bent has to have a degree of accuracy.:eek:
  6. J

Woodland Scenics Realistic Water cracking

Cracked Water Hi, Jack from Star Idaho. Skip the expensive simulated water products I use bar top finish which is nothing more than a Poly resin and catylist pour mixed 50:50. No matter what thickness I pour it always comes out great. Use water effects for waves, rapids, or water falls and...
  7. J

Trestle Update

back drop :Actually the back drop is not painted yet I have just sketched some ideas in... jack;)
  8. J

Trestle Update

Hi Jack from Star, Idaho. Here are a few photos of the trestle I am building. The top deck in the photo is not installed and I have not installed the barrels. The top deck has metal railings and 1mm red LED's on both sides as aircraft markers. Plus I added LED flood lights to shine on the...
  9. J

Trestle Update

Trestle Crandell, the deck is wider, it will support three main lines. I just could not include it in the picture yet untill I get the bents in place. Yes there will be a lower cat walk from the deck...Jack:eek:
  10. J

Trestle Update

[B][Jack from Star, Idaho. Well here goes my first photos! Pictured are some photos of my large trestle (Seven feet four inches). I tried some lighting effect to create a late afternoon sun. The deck is finished but I was not able to place it on yet since the bents have not been glued in place...
  11. J

Is this locomotive good ?

Bachmann Locomotive :Jack from Star, Idaho. I have five Bachman Steam locomotives and they are all the Spectrum Line. Bachmann has produced some bad unreliable trains in the past but the Spectrum line for the most part is pretty good. I have only had one problem with a 4-8-4 that would...
  12. J

Weekly Photo Fun 8-20/8-26

Photo Fun Jeff I love the old rusted steam engine. If you ever get to the Seattle area go to the town of Snoqualmi Falls about 20 miles east on I-90. There you will find a bunch of old rusted out steam engines from the logging era of that time. Next time I go to Issaquah, Washington...
  13. J

Weekly Photo Fun 8-27/9-2

Weathered Rail Crandell, thanks for the info I will give it a go. Oh and by the way, I also grow lots of sedum and I have neve seen it grow knee high so I have to stick with the Rock Crest but to each their own. Your trees and ideas are great!:eek: Jack from Star, Idaho
  14. J

Why you don't look for Ghost trains

Ghost Train :eek:Tragic that someone had to loose their life waiting for a "Ghost Train." Ironic that it happened on the same day but as Forrest Gump always said "Stupid is as stupid does." What were they thinking walking out on a trestle at 2:30 in the morning thinking they are going to see...
  15. J

Trees Crandell, Sounds like rockcrest to me. I think they are about the best thing to make trees from. I like the idea about combining two of them together. You can also cover a large area with these and use poly fiber, spray with hair spray and then cover with your favorite foliage. Rock...
  16. J

Trees in photo Hi Jack from Star, Idaho. Just wondering if you made your trees from dried Rock Crest flower. I grow them and harvest the dry flowers each fall. They make great trees. Spray them white and add some black to the trunks and you have Aspen trees. Make your folage green or...
  17. J

New Train

Jack from Star, Idaho. As we get older HO guage seems to get harder to see for some reason. We now have smaller guages "N & Z but leave it to the Japanese to come up with the world's smallest train. The train was introduced at a train show in 2007. I found this on the net through a link and it...
  18. J

MTH is vastly superior to DCC

Mth dcs??? So they say MTH is superior to DCC huh? Ask them where their trains are you can't hardly find the loco's you want and I feel most of the steams are way over priced. Talk to dealers and ask them when the trains will arrive and most will say "Who knows." I bought one BNSF SD70 Ace...
  19. J

MRC Decoders - Good or Bad?

MRC Decoders :Jack from Star, Idaho. I usually use Tsunami decoders for reliability and sound but recently I put togeter a five locomotive consist and I used the MRC for the engine sound on four dummy loco's and I must admit to me they sound great and I have not had any problems. However, a...
  20. J

finding my niche...

Passenger Trains [B]Jack from Star, Idaho. Just my opinion but if you want to start collecting museum quality passenger trains go to www.hogtrainz.com and look at the rapido passenger cars. Right now like every manufacturer, Rapido is doing pre-orders but Hog Trainz[still has quite a few in...

Back