Search results

1. nephthyr

General Question concerning which scale

Well in 18 x 16 you could model a small branch line in HO scale or do a fairly decent sized pike in N scale. I guess you need to decide what type of trains you want to run and then see which scale suits you. Do you want short small trains tugged by a quaint little steamer or do you want to...
  2. nephthyr

My HOn3 layout pictures

Nice work! Are you a member of the HOn3 group? http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HOn3/
  3. nephthyr

2nd Anual How Many Contest????

I'll go for 200.
  4. nephthyr

N scale Plan - request for comments

I've been playing around a little more with other designs. I figured I like classification a lot more than switching so decided to see if a yard could make for a small layout. Here's the result. It includes all elements of a decent yard: 1. Classification Tracks 2. Yard Lead 3. Engine...
  5. nephthyr

Did anybody see Unstoppable yet?

Trivia Ironically, a train used during filming accidentally derailed in Bridgeport, Ohio on November 21, 2009. No one was injured in the incident, and production was halted for the remainder of the day.
  6. nephthyr

My HO layout

Don't want to jack your thread but I'm still waiting for some "supplies" to arrive from the States, and I managed to get all the track in one go from my local hobby shop, I'm now with a maxed out credit card. I really should stay away from the hobby shop.... ;)
  7. nephthyr

My HO layout

Hi, Great work on the layout. It's coming along nicely!
  8. nephthyr

Where do you shop online?

www.caboosehobbies.com www.modeltrainstuff.com www.walthers.com All excellent service, no complaints so far (and I have put in quite a few orders with all of them).
  9. nephthyr

Hijack away :) No staging for me, I don't really have the space and further I want to confine the footprint of the layout as much as possible. I would have liked to make it 1x6' but things were a bit squashed with that format and as I said the shelf I bought was 1x7' hence the "irregular" size...
  10. nephthyr

Plan revision. Took some well thought out advice and ideas and added them.
  11. nephthyr

Critter Shed

Your modeling is absolutely stunning. Great work!
  12. nephthyr

MB Klein Order Processing

I have had this happen to me before and my stuff arrived way before MB updated their site. I wouldn't worry too much about it but if your stuff fails to show after a reasonable amount of time give them a call. I suspect they get too busy to update the web site.
  13. nephthyr

It's actually 305mm x 2135mm since the conversion is 305mm to the foot. Its very interesting, despite the metric system we have here in SA, timber is still pretty much in measurements indicating foot and inches. You can buy a conventional 4 x 8 sheet of plywood at almost any hardware store and...
  14. nephthyr

Wow! I like what you have done. Curving those tracks and including a switch lead were really good ideas. I think I'm going to use your track plan, if you dont mind. Very neat!
  15. nephthyr

Hi Byron, Thanks for the reply. I actually drew inspiration from your Alameda Belt Line plan and a few other designs you have on your web site. I am aware of the grain elevator problem, I plan to do full size mock ups and refine the track plan then. I also plan to run the layout half-full so...
  16. nephthyr

Hi, Small switching layout, 1 x 7 foot N scale. No evil switchbacks - yay! The plastics manufacturer uses "sure spots" to make switching more engaging. I also wanted a small yard to do some minor classification. Since I have a thing for grain elevators and covered grain hoppers that...
  17. nephthyr

N scale Apartment Layout

Get Iain Rice's book on shelf layouts, lots of great ideas in there! Also take a look at Lance Mindheim's site (www.lancemindheim.com) and Byron Henderson's (www.layoutvision.com) - some great ideas and inspiration there!
  18. nephthyr

Hon30 critter

Nice work!
  19. nephthyr

ACF 2 bay centre flow

I understand these were used for bulk items like cement and sand. Were any used for grain? Would they look out of place spotted at a grain elevator? Thanks in advance!
  20. nephthyr

Grain Unloading on a budget

Nice, this works well for small switching layouts!

Back