Search results

1. G

Wheelsets

Darrin, The rib back whieels were used on older rolling stock, not sure when the cut off was, say 50 years ago at least. Most freight cars of less than 100 ton capacity used 33" wheels, 50' covered hoppers and other 100 ton cars use 36" wheels, as do passenger cars. Piggyback, auto rack, and...
  2. G

Who wants to see Walthers produce an NW5?

If Walthers came out with one in plastic, I'd buy it. I model Seattle in the 60s and there was one working around there then. BTW, the one on the Walthers cover is the recently restored unit at Duluth, MN. Saw her there in '99 before the makeover. Ron Ferrel
  3. G

Dream Plan Build Series

Gee, Am I the only one who saw a lot of this stuff on Tracks Ahead several years ago? The UP yard, F&SM, speeder, RPOs, Northlandz and O and S layouts were directly from TA. The layout segment looked like it was the one they did for the World's Greatest Hobby a couple of years ago. That...
  4. G

Inexpensive trees

Hi all, CBCNSfan asked me to share my treemaking work here, so here it is: I model the Great Northern Cascade Division in HO and that takes a lot of trees. Rather than repost the pix here, I've provided links to the trees and some of my model photos. How-to's are posted for the fir and...
  5. G

Comment by 'GN_Fan' in media 'Cheep Deciduous Trees'

How-to requested by viewer. Sage brush trunk grown locally by mother nature, Woodland Scenics #178 Polyfiber for branches glued with white glue. Tease the fiber out as thin as possible (thinner than shown here, these have a bit too much of a cotton candy appearance). After the glue is dry...
  6. G

Comment by 'GN_Fan' in media 'Cheep Fir Trees'

How-to requested by viewer: From article in RMC, somewhat altered by me. Trunks are carved/whittled from cedar scraps sold for kindling at Alberstons in US, from a mill in Canada, no less. I make sure they go right down to a point on the top, many modelers don't bother getting the top right...
  7. Cheep Deciduous Trees Close-up

Cheep Deciduous Trees Close-up

If some of the leaf particles look like real leaves, that's because they are, after shredding in a blender.
  8. Cheep Deciduous Trees

Cheep Deciduous Trees

Sage brush trunk, WS 178 Polyfiber stretched as thin as possible and glued to trunk, spray adhesive (hair spray didn't work well), then parsley flakes (dark green) or real poplar leaves (light green) shredded in blender and sprinkled on.
  9. Cheep Fir Trees Close-up

Cheep Fir Trees Close-up

10. Cheep Fir Trees

Cheep Fir Trees

Whittled cedar trunks, painted brown and dry brushed light gray. WS F53 Foliage stretched and glued to trunk. Cost is 30 cents each in July 2005. Trees made by Pocatello Model RR club.
  11. G

Comment by 'GN_Fan' in media 'Bridge In City -2'

Nice work, I like the abandon track in the foreground. One suggestion, though, GN geeps ran long hood forward. The crew in BN 1503 have gotta have stiff necks trying to see the track ahead.
  12. Cascade Tunnel 1

Cascade Tunnel 1

Atlas caboose entering west portal.

Back