Search results

1. HayManMarc

"Tumbleweed" -- A Micro 2x3

Oh, hey... Anyone ever use vermiculite for ground cover? I was looking at a bag of it and it has a nice small grain and color. (And super cheap, comparatively.)
  2. HayManMarc

Yes, thanks, Willie! I found some tutorials on making sawdust ground cover with paint. Also found a way to make foam ground/tree cover with a sponge, wire brush, and paint. But life has been busy lately, so time has not been on my side. When I get something accomplished, I'll add to this...
  3. HayManMarc

Hello from 1986

Well, I already started one in "N Scale" so if it needs to be moved, then hopefully that's not a problem. Anyway, for those who missed it who might be interested, it's here... Thread '"Tumbleweed" -- A Micro 2x3' https://modelrailroadforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/tumbleweed-a-micro-2x3.35375/
  4. HayManMarc

Trying my hand at wire trees... I'm not completely satisfied with the result, but not too bad for my first try. I think the wire I used was a little thick. I tried regular old rubber cement to try hiding the look of the wires, but it didnt work as well as i hoped. The paint turned out to...
  5. HayManMarc

Magilla’s first layout build.

Looking good. You might consider cork roadbed for under the track. It will help a little bit with rolling noise. It's not hard to lay, but takes a bit of time because you want to be as precise as possible to match up with sectional track.
  6. HayManMarc

Static grass

You can make a decent applicator following Luke Towan's video. It uses a strong 15-20 kv ion generator. The flyswatters only produce 3 kv and barely create enough static field to lift 2-4 mm grass. Applicator by Luke Towan: This is all from my research, not experience. I've been...
  7. HayManMarc

Static grass

You could use a stocking, but any thin fabric will work, actually.
  8. HayManMarc

Well, it's been a Long Time since I've done any modeling... AT ALL... so I thought I better start with something I don't care so much about. So, I started a test subject to trial my landscaping skills... I'm out in the shop, in Washington state, and the shop isn't heated. It's cold out...
  9. HayManMarc

Oh, hay! I received my first item today! (...of a bunch of stuff I ordered.) It's Bigfoot!! 😜
  10. HayManMarc

Which way?

Here's a dumb little weird question for ya.. When displaying static locos and trains on a shelf or in a display case, do you face them towards the left or the right? Another question to go with that (sorta)... When designing a small loop layout (like on a sheet of plywood), do you design for...
  11. HayManMarc

Oh, yes -- will definitely have an access panel for the mountain. I'm trying to grade up an inch from front to back then down again on the other side, but in the pic up there it looks really steep. Might have to either do less height in the back or make a longer slope (or both). Scratch...
  12. HayManMarc

Hello, Train Stars! Welcome to my Model Railroad Development Log! I figured I might as well document my run at making a layout. This way, when I get stumped about something I can't figure out, I might have a couple of you interested by then and get some quick answers! (haha! Ulterior...
  13. HayManMarc

Show us your pets!

My daughter's cats... Rom and Quark, having an important stand-off...
  14. HayManMarc

Hello from 1986

I've made it to page 6, @GuilfordRailman -- good stuff! So here's that pic I promised of the small box of train things I found. I'll be starting a layout progress thread in the "N Scale" section of the forum soon and we can talk about the layout plans from there. Cheers!
  15. HayManMarc

Hello from 1986

@flyboy2610 - haha, thanks! Actually, I might be willing to part with it, let me think on it. @Smudge617 - I'm going with a 2' x 3' micro layout. I want to start a new topic documenting the build, but I'm not sure where to put it. Would it go under "N Scale" or "Layout Design and...
  16. HayManMarc

Hello from 1986

Well, it took some digging, but I found a few dusty old boxes buried deep in the storage shed. Turns out I had more than I remembered, however a lot of it is pretty worn and broken. I remember buying a few 'lots' on ebay that had a few things I wanted at the time. When you buy a 'lot' you...
  17. HayManMarc

Hello from 1986

Wow, what a nice welcome! Thanks, everyone. I have some N scale stuff in a box in storage I'm going to dig out. I started collecting some stuff about 15 years ago (ebay finds, and such), but never ended up doing anything with it. Can't remember everything I got, so it'll be fun discovering...
  18. HayManMarc

Hello from 1986

After years and years of not playing trains (my last "layout" was in 1986 when i was 15), I've decided I'm going to jump in and try to make a small layout this year. Hello all.

Back