Search results

1. 7

Marklin Steamers

Visuited at my gal's house with her adult son for T-Day and finally got to see the somewhat vintage Marklin Steamers that had been stored away for decades. Her 5 year old Grandson is quite excited! So I did set a short track and the "transformer" and after somer coaxing got them both to run...
  2. 7

Soldering, best setup?

Thoughts and experiences with various soldering equipment for fine model RR wiring.
  3. 7

Blackstone K27's

Ah the fun of buying of off EBAY: I have two Blackstone K27's (expensive) and the first one I ran with DCC wanted to hang up at turnouts, loosing power. I went and tore up and rewired a bunch of turnouts only to discover that it was getting power feed on one side from only the rear tender...
  4. 7

New HON3 Diesel going to become available.

Northbound Model Works. https://www.northboundmodelworks.com/. Is taking reservations (no deposit required) for a run of Bombardier DL535 Locomotives in HON3, as are in current use by the White Pass and Yukon. This is being undertaken by Mike May a well known narrow Gauge modeler and...
  5. 7

Narrow Gauge Diesel conversion from HO.

OK, not totally original and maybe a slow adventure, but a while back I bought a KATO switcher on Evil Bay for cheap. These are lovely locomotives, smooth and strong pullers. I had seen part of an article about someone who had done this while back. However not seeing the whole article, I really...
  6. 7

Kadee Quality Control

Printing my own Narrow Gauge cars and trucks, I have been using the Kadee 3' wheel sets. The last two orders of these I received have had issues. The first set (couple of weeks ago) had a wheel with the axel twisted off, the most recent bunch, three 8 wheel packs, the second pack only had six...
  7. 7

Magnetic couplers

The kids Brio trains use magnets to couple the trains together. I found a source for very small rare earth magnets which might be able to be used for constructing more scale sized couplers. The shank protruding from the draft box could be mostly printed with a steel insert attached to the...
  8. 7

3D printing

It has been pointed out that 3D printing might have a broader appeal than to just Narrow Gauge folks. I don't claim to be an expert, but have worked with this for a few years, first in ship modeling and thence to Narrow Gauge rolling stock. I am traveling at the moment so don't have access to...
  9. 7

Homosote

Does anyone still use homeosote in layout construction or has this been replaced with foam techniques. Neither Lowe's or the "Homeless Despot" seem to have this stuff anymore. I was looking to add to some layout framing that had this track bed material. Thanks!
  10. 7

Kadee draft box?

I have some very nice HON3 cars I constructed over 30 years ago, apparently from injection molded plastic. However I never filed them with couplers and the have a draft box molded into the floor. However no covers seem to exist (go figure). Is anybody familiar with these and can a Kadee 714...
  11. 7

Steam engine runs in reverse but binds forward

I have a couple of the delightful Blackstone HON3 K27's and a United Mudhen I re canned, but my original Roundhouse 2-4-0 runs smoothly in reverse but binds running forward. Any thoughts. This is currently a project loco and I have added a number of home made 3D printed parts, including a new...
  12. 7

Flatcar loads!

Slowly building up an inventory of HON3 rolling stock for WP&Y, probably during the wartime 40's when she was flush with war business and much infused with rolling stock and engines. A while back I did both an APA and LSM which I designed a lot of deck loads, jeeps, tanks, DUKW's and whatnot...
  13. 7

Narrow Gauge rolling stock 3D printing.

A number of decades ago I began a small HON3 layout, being somewhat of a condensed "cartoon" of the Skagway terminus of the White Pass and Yukon. Currently I am designing and printing various rolling stock items. WP&Y at various points acquired rolling stock and engines from some of the more...

Back