Search results

1. jasonelki

Glue(CA) Hazing

Anyone know a good way to take off glue hazing without harming the surrounding areas? I put a beacon (details west 106) on a black paint job and it doesn't look very good :o Does the glue haze more when it gets old, or is a function of using too much? Is there a better adhesive to use on...
  2. jasonelki

Bachmann baby trainmaster question

Looking to purchase a bachmann baby trainmaster and have a question. Is this model powered similar to the GE 44 tonner, which has(on the one I own anyway) an electric motor powering each truck? Any other thoughts on this run of locos? I am not impressed whatsoever with my GE 44 tonner, so...
  3. jasonelki

Proto 2000 SW9/1200 new run vs. old?

I see walthers is or has come out with another run of SW9/1200's, and I have the opportunity to purchase a similar unit, but of the old run(maybe 5 or 6 years, don't really know :o). Other than the occasional cracked gear in some of the older run Protos, is there some big difference I should...
  4. jasonelki

Handrail? Model Railroader cover

Ok, this might not be the best section to put this in, but here goes. On the cover of the Dec. 2010 MR it shows a PRR loco with what looks like a handrail running essentially the length of the engine, is that a handrail or something else? Some of the locos pictured in the April 2010 issue...
  5. jasonelki

What kind of engine is this?

Saw this pair rolling through the yard in Stevens Point, WI on Saturday morning, looked on a few of the locomotive picture sites and didn't see this beast, any ideas about #1204?
  6. jasonelki

Locomotive Photo Help

I'm looking to detail an old athearn so it looks like the prototype Milwaukee Road GP9 #326. I have found two color photos, one at sd45.com and the other at rrpicture archives. The sd45 photo was taken in Montana in 1970 and the exhaust appears to have spark arrestors on it? Whereas the...
  7. jasonelki

Quality of IHC ore cars?

Looking to purchase some of these but have never seen them in person. Are they nice items? How about the details? What brand do they compare with, athearn, proto? I suppose these are older items since I have yet to see them at my LHS. Thanks for any advice. Jason
  8. jasonelki

Looking for cheap drill bits?

Does anyone have a good source for reasonably priced drill bits? I am looking at mostly #80 bits, and paying $2.50 for 2 at my LHS is getting a bit old, especially since they break very easy. :D Any ideas are much appreciated!! Jason
  9. jasonelki

Bachmann Spectrum split gears?

I have never run across a loco with split gears, so I'm not sure if this qualifies or not. Just bought a bachmann spectrum 44 tonner and it runs a little rough, and I'm not sure if it is hesitating when the gear runs over the split area. The photos aren't the best, but I think it is easy...
  10. jasonelki

Wire grabs-buy or make?

Looking to detail some locos and wondering if most buy pre-made wire grabs or do some of you make your own? I'm kicking around the idea of just making my own, especially the odd stuff, the wide grab that is just behind the last fan on hood units, plus the curved ones on the front of the RSC2...
  11. jasonelki

Painting over athearn BB shell

How do you guys go about painting over a shell like this? I'm looking to paint the shell all black and apply some Milwaukee Road decals, even though MR never had an SW1000 or SW1500 on their roster, thought it would be a fun project, maybe... I don't think this model has decals, is it...
  12. jasonelki

Interchangeable proto GP7/GP9 shells?

Are the proto 2000 GP7 and GP9 shells interchangeable? I don't have either one of these but am keeping my options open for a future project. I'm assuming the shells ride on the exact same chassis, just making sure!! Thanks, Jason
  13. jasonelki

How do I change loco direction?

Hoping the wiring forum will help me out on this! I've got an old athearn BB GP7/GP9 that runs in the opposite direction of all my other locos. I read the article on "how to upgrade your athearn BB" and while it was mentioned to mark part of the truck prior to taking it apart to keep it...
  14. jasonelki

What is this and what model comp. makes them?

Trying to figure out what this is, what it carrys and who makes them for HO scale? I'd love to get a few for my small layout. Looks like an ACF 2-bay covered hopper, but I'm not positive. Funny story associated with this specific hopper. While down in Oklahoma visiting family I shot a...
  15. jasonelki

Proto shell removal?

Having some issues removing the shell of my GP 38-2. Even though I am a visual person, the exploded view in the manual is of limited/no help. It looks as though the long hood comes off the shell as well, and speaking from experience, I don't want to force the shell off as the damage is usually...
  16. jasonelki

Good general DC powerpack?

I'm looking to upgrade the powerpack on my small 4x8 HO layout. I run some older Athearn engines and some don't run with my current powerpack(but they do at the local hobby shop). Not sure the current capacity of my pack as I'm not at home, but its the pack that came with a cheap set and is...
  17. jasonelki

White Decals?

I know this topic has been kicked around here for awhile, what I gather is white decals essentially don't exist unless you have an industrial printer of some sort. I'm looking to decal a couple Milwaukee Road RS-1's, similar to the photos(except for white lettering-preferably). What are my...
  18. jasonelki

Pelle Soeborg Book Comparison

Anybody have either of these Soeborg books-From Mountain to Desert or Scenery Techniques? I'd like to purchase possibly both of these books but am not sure how much overlap there is between them. Scenery techniques was published in 2009 but Mountain to Desert was published in 2007. Just...
  19. jasonelki

Loco window extensions

Does anyone sell window extensions, if that is what they are even called, or are they all scratchbuilt? I've searched a bit with no luck. I'm looking to buy a couple for my locos. I've got a couple older Alcos I'd like to put them on. Here is a photo of what I'm talking about. Thanks...
  20. jasonelki

Milwaukee Road RS1 photo?

I just purchased an undecorated atlas RS1 and was hoping to paint it all black and decal it up in the milw road scheme of the time. Anyone have any photos of this rare beast? I've noticed in the past ebay has the all black RS1 up for auction, but I never saved a photo of it. Thanks for any help!

Back