Search results

1. D

L-shaped benchwork

Looks like a nice soild base for your layout.
  2. D

L-shaped benchwork

I framed 2 - 4x8 sheets of 3/4" plywood with 2x4's , then bolted them together. If they ever have to be moved, they can be unbolted and the legs removed.
  3. D

Auto reverse + turnout arduino

I'm using an Arduino Mega to control my atlas turnouts. Each turnout uses 3 relays. 2 relays with a 80ms pulse control the turnout position and the third is for the signal lights. The relays are controlled with a momentary switch. A 180 ma resettable polyfuse is in the common line to prevent...
  4. D

Pilot truck keeps jumping the track

Check the track for a slight dip or rise. Since the drive wheels are solidly mounted, when they hit a slight rise in the track , it will cause the front pilot wheels to lift off the track. This is exaggerated more when going around a curve and the wheels will jump the track
  5. D

Sanding plaster cloth or cork roadbed

I always sand my cork roadbed to get a nice flat surface for laying track . I used 100 grit sandpaper on a sanding block.
  6. D

TYCO track

I clean my old brass track with a non polar solvent like mineral spirits. It helps prevent "micro arcing" and the track will stay cleaner longer.
  7. D

Oops

For the leds , you need a 1 amp bridge rectifier and a 1000uf 25v capacitor. Connect the AC terminals of the bridge to the track power and the DC terminals to the capacitor . Make sure the polarity is correct. Then connect the leds to the capacitor with a 1k ohm resistor for each led. You could...
  8. D

Show us your pets!

This little guy just loves the outdoors playing in the snow.
  9. D

Run smoke from decoder

Just remember to use a bridge rectifier from the track terminals to the FET. Make sure you don't exceed the voltage for the smoke generator. Another option is to use a solid state relay like PVG612PBF DIP,60V 1 Form A Photo Voltaic Relay in a 6-pin.
  10. D

Used vs new

I purchase almost all of my locomotives and rolling stock from eBay. All of my items have been in the condition the seller advertised , whether it be new, new condition or used. For rolling stock , I only buy in lots and do not pay more than $15 a car including shipping. I run DC so there are a...
  11. D

Question from first time LED user

The resistor can go on either lead of the Led. If you are using 1 resistor , the Leds should be connected in series so the forward current is the same for all the Leds. As more Leds are connected in series, the value of the resistor has to decrease to maintain the desired forward current and...
  12. D

Remote control steam whistle or diesel horn sound that isn't DCC?

You could check out 12v wireless remote controls on Amazon or eBay. LocoFi also makes a wireless control for a locomotive that may work. It works with an app on an Android phone or tablet .
  13. D

Circuit Breaker

A circuit breaker probably wouldn't help with reverse polarity on electronic devices. The device would probably be destroyed long before a circuit breaker or fuse would trip. If it was an overload condition, then it would work. In your case, a circuit breaker would have probably tripped, but it...
  14. D

I blew up my Step-Down (Buck)

If you connected AC to the DC-DC converter, it will be destroyed. Looking at the capacitor , reverse polarity or to high a voltage will cause that kind of damage. AC will do the same as reverse polarity.
  15. D

Terminal Block Question

I don't have a link for the resistors, but any 1000 ohm 1/8 or 1/4 watt will work. Amazon has kits that come in many different values .If you want your LED a little dimmer, you can go up in value to 2000 or 4000 ohms or higher. For a brighter LED you can go down as low as 560 ohms.
  16. D

Terminal Block Question

Any DC power supply will work. For LED's, 5v or 12v will work jut fine. Use a 470 ohm resistor for 5v or a 1000 ohm resistor for 12v in series with the LED.
  17. D

What is the best scale for 4x8 train layout?

I'm running this HO layout on a 4x8 sheet of plywood. The grades are 3.9% , slightly steep, but they work out OK .
  18. D

Need help with what size kadees this locomotive needs

Start with the 148. If it doesn't line up , you can try the 142 (overset shank) or the 147 (underset shank). This will allow the correct coupler height without the need for shims. If the coupler is to long or short , they also have a couplers with shorter or longer shanks in the "14x " series.
  19. D

Best Pulling Locomotive

That's what I thought , but wasn't sure. I found a good deal for a Athearn powered B unit so I was hoping the shell would fit. My rail line is a real mix of rail companies so it would still fit in.
  20. D

Best Pulling Locomotive

I purchased a nice 1990's athearn super power F7 loco and dummy on eBay. Can the shell be removed from the dummy loco and put on a powered F7 dummy ?

Back